Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

One extension will not log in properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheChaun

Technical User
May 12, 2008
US
When i try to log in extension 3506 it will log in and look like everything is normal but when you press any key on the phone you get an error tone. This happens no matter where i try to log the phone in. I have tried removing and recreating the extension (including VM) both by duplicating a working extension and creating from scratch, replaced cabling, replaced phone, ran find and remove from SA. This is on a 9640 phone. I added the extension as a bridged appearance on another line and it works. Server is running release: S8800-015-02.1.016.4. I'm at a loss and would appreciate any other suggestions.

Slight update. After "logging in", if i leave the phone for 5-10 minutes it will reboot itself and ask me to log in again when it comes back up. if i leave that for a minute or so it will display "Authentication Error. Press Login to continue

have you ever been able to log this phone in, maybe you have exceeded your licenses, disp system customer options will tell you how many licenses are left.

The user had been working fine until this morning. and i was able to create and use another extension without any issues. I'm still under my license limit as well.

Yes, tried two different codes too. This is definitely something more complex than me screwing up. The users phone had been working, was unresponsive when she came in this morning, she rebooted it (the old-fashioned way, unplugging and plugging it back in) and still had the same issue. That's where i got involved and tried all the steps i listed above.

What about trying another phone and log it in as extension 3506 and see what happens, also check the history log maybe someone made a system wide change that is affecting this log in code

I tried logging it in somewhere else and got the same result. No one has made any changes...

do a list usage extension for 3506, also how are you logging the phone in? from a button on the phone? if so check the log in code from the list that is used and make sure it is correct

This is all stuff that I tried... the usage shows up as keys 7 and 8 (the bridged appearance i mentioned in my original post) and Emrgncy Loc Ext.

Yes I am logging in from the phone directly, yes I am using the right code.

Nothing useful to this issue. As I said, I can create other extensions and log them in without any issue. Unfortunately this is someone that has been with the company for almost 10 years and i can't just simply change their extension.

almost then sounds like some data corruption, maybe a pbx reboot after hours only thing left that I can think of

That was my last ditch effort. Hoping there was some other solution to get the user back on her extension without having to reboot.

Have you tried to delete station 3506 en then recreate station 3506 ?
(you could use the duplicate station command to set it to an unused number and duplicate it back to 3506)

Rather than duplicating delete it and rebuild from scratch , you could also try to busy release the port SXXXX rather than the station , if you have tried this examine the ip events log from the server smi , run a trace on the station with a /m so it logs to mst and try and capture a log out event.

It is 99% sounding like corruption so unfortunately if you have tried all of the above and you are sure its not something like a full/faulty clan the set is trying to register to , take the mst trace reset sys 4 OOH , then if it still happens you will have some relevant data to pass to Avaya.

APSS (SME)
ACSS (SME)
ACIS (UC)

What happens to the previously used ports? For instance i removed 3506, recreated. It was previously on port s00123, now its port s00124. what happened to s00123?

its auto assigned by the system and reallocated , dont read too much into that suggestion it was more (worth a shot) than a hard fix.

try the theory add station next and assign it as an ip station ans see if a lower port number than s00124 is allocated.

APSS (SME)
ACSS (SME)
ACIS (UC)

delete 3506, then create another station, then re-create 3506 (then delete the other station).

I've had this presented as a solution (that worked) for a somewhat-similar issue I had in the past. When you delete a station and immediately re-create it, it retains the same identifiers in the system. Throwing another station in between should change them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back