Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

One doubt related to @@identity

Status
Not open for further replies.

varshan09

Programmer
Oct 28, 2003
IN
Suppose I have a table A with two colums - col1 (number) primary key and col2(Varchar(100)). If I insert a row into this table. Can we get value of last inserted value in the column col1 of this table using @@identity. As far as my understantding goes @@identity can be used for identity columns. Is there any way in which we can get value of last inserted column using @@identity?

Thanks
Varsha

HI,
sure you are right about @@identity but if you wan to get the latest value for col2 as well then you have to use a query something like this;

select col1, col2 from table_name
where col1 = @@identity

Be sure to save @@identity value just after insertion because this value can chage very fast.

B.R,
miq

How do we save @@identity? I tried this query and it is not giving me any record.
INSERT TABLE2
SELECT 'Varsha', Max(col2) + 1
FROM TABLE2

select col1, col2 from TABLE2
where col2 = @@identity

here, col2 is not an identity column.

Let me know if I'm missing anything.

Thanks
Varsha

You save it like this:
Code:
[Blue]DECLARE[/Blue] @Identity [Blue]int[/Blue]
[Blue]INSERT[/Blue] [Blue]INTO[/Blue] YourTable
   [Blue]SELECT[/Blue] Fields
[Blue]SET[/Blue] @Identity[Gray]=[/Gray][Fuchsia]@@Identity[/Fuchsia][green]
--However THAT IS NOT RECOMMENDED, it is not reliable.
[/green][green]--Better to use this:
[/green][Blue]SET[/Blue] @Identity[Gray]=[/Gray][Fuchsia]Scope_Identity[/Fuchsia][Gray]([/Gray][Gray])[/Gray]
-Karl

[red] Cursors, triggers, user-defined functions and dynamic SQL are an axis of evil![/red]
[green]Life's uncertain...eat dessert first...www.deerfieldbakery.com[/green]

hi,
select col1, col2 from TABLE2
where col2[/red] = @@identity

you cannot get correct results unless col2 in above query in not an identity column.

save @@identity value in a varibale just after insert or update using @@identity or better scope_identity and change your where clause accordingly.

donutman has has already taught
you on how to save @@identity value

This forum is not about giving you the code snippit only but to teach in general.

B.R,
miq

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back