Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Old phone systems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigcat919

Technical User
May 16, 2005
US
Just for a laff or two, what is the oldest phone system you have worked on recently? A small amount of our cutomers still have the 6X16 KSU and a mini Startalk Flash v/m. Have seen some old 8X24's with DR3 s/w and others still using the old Startalk A,B,or C v/m's.. (could never figure the diff between those three...lol).

How many have worked on the wooden box with the crank? I worked in a foundry putting in a comkey and they had 202 dialess phones connected to magneto boxes for intercom. They look nice on my wall!

Last OLDEST switch I was on was a ROLM 8004 MCBX (upgraded from an original RLS 6 in the 70s through 7000 then 8000 software, etc)..I am still working with 824 KSUs (DR5 now--they WERE at DR4!!) and wanting to replace one with a SiemensROLM 9200/HCM200 IF I can find my programming sheets from the IPM class...I got the box up but cannot get a RP400 to give me dialtone, etc....anyone out there can help??? PLEASE!!! Analog, LCR, not a problem....the damn digital phones (RPs in this case); I MISS my old 8000! :)

staabj:

were you at hahn in GE in 85?

name looks familiar

----------------------------
Hill?? What hill??
I didn't see any $%@#(*$ Hill!!
----------------------------
JerryReeve
Communication Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

Any body out there ever install a plunger line switch?
How far back are we digging?
I thought the post was about what old equipment that is still in operation.
QUOTE "Just for a laff or two, what is the oldest phone system you have worked on recently? "

although technically didn't work on it
I recently had an electrician ask me to look at some cables that were in his way in the basement of an old building that was being renovated, for multiple tenants. After chasing the cables through these catacombs with dirt floor and broken concrete using a flashlight and a piece of broken pipe to knock down the cobwebs.I reached their source and found an old mitel 100 humming away with all the green lights on, but not x connected to anything. I have no idea who in that building ever had a business large enough to warrant a switch that size. Eatons had been in there years before, but they had an sl1 or an option 11 for as long as I knew. I left the switch as i found it and went back and chopped the cables for the electrician.

I often wonder how long it will be before anyone finds it again,if it will still be working when and if they do, and if it is not a telephone guy will they appreciate that i left it for them.

After reading my earlier post again, I realized I needed to update it....after rdoing the ROLMs for so many years, I ended up working in 1A2 systems as radio stations!!! They still love 1A2s for their studio phones as the controllers were designed to interface to the 1A2 system and control it like a 10line button Key phone!! Finding a MOH card so we could put PRE Delay audio down the phone to the caller was a PITA but I found them and got them wired in (radio stations often use a digital delay in the program path to dump any nonos before they hit the air! Callers on the phone on hold, if listening to the radio, hear an 8 sec delay and not the LIVE conversation so when its time for them to go on the air, they are confused (more so than normal!! :) SO feeding them NONdelayed audio keeps them in sync with the previous caller and also forces them to turn down their radio (to avoid the always present feedback loop!)

Agreed- 1A2's were and still are great for radio stations! can't beat that - full manual control and line tapping. Those things were designed to never die... and if they did, they died HARD.

John Panzer

HORIZONs also had the MET sets, which by the way is an acronym for Multiline Electronic Telephone, those were used with the Dimension PBX too.

NT had the LOGIC 10 and Logic 20 1A2 telsets. The Housings for those were also used for the SL1 QSU series phones.

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back