Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oh "deer"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SantaMufasa

Technical User
Jul 17, 2003
US
My brother is a professor at a college where huntin' is a popular pasttime. He presented to his philosophy class a scenario which concluded with an ethical dilemma. He assigned his class to write a 1-page paper with an account of a similar ethics dilemma from their own personal experiences. Here is an excerpt from one of the submissions:
Student submission said:
TO MAKE A CHOICE WE HAVE TO DECIDE WHICH ONE IS THE LESS OF THE TWO EVILS. We may not always be faced with as tough of a decision as in the example but situations like it occur all the time in our lives. One example in my life occurred while hunting. I shot a cow elk rather far into the mountains and would need to backpack it out. It was extremely cold and by the time I got it gutted, it was after dark. By...state law, one is required to have evidence of sex while transporting a game animal until butcher. So I had a problem. Do I make two trips so I can keep evidence of sex or do I cut just the meat off and make one trip even though I’m breaking the law? To answer this question I need to break apart the situation and determine which one is indeed less evil.
I just hope that this student doesn't get a job drafting legislation. <grin>

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm or risk. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

Certainly must have been a 'game' cow elk!!

The internet - allowing those who don't know what they're talking about to have their say.

It's spooky that I saw this when I logged in this morning.

As I was driving to the railway station, two little deer trotted across the road in front of the car.

Makes the day just that little bit nicer.

It is time for pacifists to stand up and fight for their beliefs.

Reminds me of the recent new item of a school girl with cerebral palsy being repeatedly harassed on a school bus. Her father broke the law by getting on the bus to protect his daughter and reprimand her tormentors, as no other remedy seemed to be working as I recall.

Don't know how much of a dilema he agonized. Would not have been very agonizing for me.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

off into the weeds...

hjgoldstein,

At some point then, hell would cease to exist... Or at least have a dried up lake because all the molten brimstone will have evaporated, which would probably do wonders for the atmosphere over there... But then again, perhaps that was the original idea?

p5

In New Orleans we already know that Hell has frozen over - we found it out last Febriary in Miami when the Saints won the Superbowl!

Sorry, I couldn't resist getting a dig in there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back