Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Odd Habits 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onyxpurr

Programmer
Feb 24, 2003
US
Do you have any odd habits while working and how do you overcome them?

For instance, I mumble to myself when I code. I am pretty much oblivious to everything too. So now when I code, I out on some headphones. This lets everyone know that I'm working and to wait a second before interrupting, or think twice before interrupting. It also doesn't make me look like a psycho because at least I'm mouthing the words to a song rather than mumbling like Raymond (Rainman).

I just find it interesting because it seems most of the really intense programmers I know mumble as well. :)

Onyxpurr,
LOL!!! Sounds very much like the "brainstorming" sessions at my job.

webmigit,
Gotta love a man who does dishes! [love2] I love to cook, but hate cleaning those pots and pans (although I do clean up along the way).

Back to odd habits - although I played the flute in high school, I've become quite the drummer while trying to figure out code. I just use my fingers against my keyboord wristpad, but it could be pencils or pens on the desk.
Don't know when or how that started, but when I'm really into figuring something out, the drumming gets louder and louder, until even I can't stand it!

Guess it's pretty bad when you start to annoy yourself....

JayeD
"I'm sure of two things: there IS a God, and I'm NOT Him!" - R. Williams
[wavey]

I take my ring on and off, keep up with google news, check news site dedicated to my favorite tv show..

I guess I'm lucky I work so fast... I'd be fired by dow otherwise..

I figure if I work 3.5 times faster than the average.. then I can spend about 70% of my day doing diddly and come out average...

Of course I'm joking

We should all have a quiet moment for the guy who programs this site (a friend, btw), his boss knows when he hits tek tips.. haha..

ALFII.com
---------------------
If this post answered or helped to answer your question, please reply with such so that forum members with a similar question will know to use this advice.

dragonwell,

That really is a great observation. Before getting into computers, I spent five years in construction. Now when I'm programming I sometimes catch myself thinking about how nice it would be to be swinging a big hammer or running a nail-gun. There's a unique feeling of satisfaction after a (productive) day of physical labor.

I found out today that I'm going to be downsized as part of a corporate merger - maybe I'll go back to the world of trucks and tools.

I don't miss the rain and the mud, though! Every job has its downside. . .

VBAjedi [swords]

Hey vbajeti, I live in a small town with a littl train at the park. I work on the trak in the sping and fall. shovel gravel putting in new ties, working on the engine. nice thing is if its raining, muddy, or too hot i can just put it off.
Sorry to hear bout the downsize, with the economy the way it is right now, you may get to do some of that kind of work for a while. If you do be sure and keep your skills up you may want to go back.

if it is to be it's up to me

VBAjedi.. Truly sorry to hear,

Construction though is a worthwhile skill.. you have something to show and hold for it... Seriously, if a disaster did actually happen, construction is a skill to have, not many people are gonna worry about programmers.

I LOVE construction, but I have a hard time getting such jobs... Manual labor is fun... programming is not..

I've helped with construction (mostly a grunt) and its much more satisfying.

Good luck.

ALFII.com
---------------------
If this post answered or helped to answer your question, please reply with such so that forum members with a similar question will know to use this advice.

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm actually kind of looking forward to whatever change lies ahead. It's nice contemplating all the possible things I could try out - as long as I don't have to quit or get fired from my current job to get it.

Hmmm. . . gives me an idea for a new thread. In just a minute I'll start one called "Your favorite/ideal job" over in the "My Own Development As A Professional". I hope y'all come by and participate!

VBAjedi [swords]

VBAjedi,

i too was a carpenter (15 yrs) before taking the leap into programming / IT. isn't building an application almost identical to building a house? idea-->rough idea-->architect--> foundation---> well, i see it that way...and of course the client that wants changes AFTER it has been built... gotta love it :)

sad to hear about the down size, i too got downsized 4.5 years back and found construction skills can always put food on the table. i worked 8 months with the tool bags on before hiring into my current job. for the interview, i had to change into a suit in a gas station restroom comming off a job site at lunch time...

best of luck

scottie

I've just moved offices & they've devised a way to distinguish the seasons of the year by the way the old guy in the corner dresses -

may - the light summer shirts come out (leaving the top three buttons open).
Aug - the heavier (lumberjack-type) padded shirts.
Nov - the wooly jumpers.
Feb - back to the padded shirts.
Every year without fail.

He also keeps pictures of sheep on his wall space & hits the keyboard so hard that you think it's going to break.

He & his colleague also insist on insulting each other at least once an hour, it's all just mucking about, but when you're on the phone & can't hear the caller for their blasphemous language it can get rather annoying.

I usually bury myself in a book or fling on some headphones.

One of my previous coworkers was into bubblewrap popping, she explained why she popped the bubbles - she said that she was picturing the bubble as the bosses head and squeezed.

I've also been in a cube farm with a leg shaker, a whistler, a singer (thankfully with a beautiful voice), another singer who would sing about whatever he was doing at the moment (picture William Shattner sing-speaking) and a silent but potent flatulator.

As for me, I mumble, laugh [lol] and talk back to my computer with my sound dampening headphones on and listen to whatever CD is currently in rotation - Green Day currently.

I laughed when I read you refused to answer your cell phone in the ladies room...

I answer my phone 24x7. Since I start later than everyone else (my choice,) I have answered my phone while in the shower more than once. Some of the ladies at the office tend to feel squeamish about this, butttt...

Jeff"

Jeff,

Read that last sentence out loud and in a hurry.

Then you'll know why I snorted my soda when I read it.

David Wendelken

I listen to music too. I have headphones, but I only use them for certain CDs that I bring. See, we are allowed to have radios/CD players at my office. For obvious reasons, we are asked to keep them at a level so that only we can hear our music. The problem I have is that several of my CDs annoyingly fluctuate in volume. I HATE that. Drives me crazy. I pop it in and cannot make out a word. I turn it up so I can hear, then it gets to the next song and blares so loud that I can hear folks pretty far away pondering who is listening to such loud music.

It is so annoying that I gave up on trying to regulate the volume for these CDs and just brought headphones so the music doesn't bother anybody else. Sometimes, if I'm in a particularly goofy mood, I'll make weird faces for absolutely no reason (luckily, I have a cubicle, so nobody can see me). Sometimes I'll even quietly make weird noises or voices to myself.

Day dreaming is another habbit of mine for when I don't have much work at the moment. Sometimes, I'll look at pictures of my girlfriend, or smile to the pictures of her I have on my cubicle walls. I don't know. I have all sorts of strange little habbits.

surprised to see so many post on manual work, i build furniture as a hobby, sometimes spending a year on a single piece. very ornate hand carved, inlay, overlay etc. very nice woods, usually killing several rain forest in the process, i assume. (but the trees were dead before i bought them) ? so at work i plan my next project, sometimes for hours, working out the exact joints, maybe a case piece with double blind dovetails... i degress, still a little on the mental side but physical. i've had lots of people tell me i could do well making custom furniture, if only i could find rich people that don't mind waiting 5 years for a room to be complete. did i mention, very rich. the last thing i did was a grandfather clock, with over 2500 hours in it, might sell for 6, parts cost me 5. guess i'll keep the day job

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back