Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Odd Habits 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onyxpurr

Programmer
Feb 24, 2003
US
Do you have any odd habits while working and how do you overcome them?

For instance, I mumble to myself when I code. I am pretty much oblivious to everything too. So now when I code, I out on some headphones. This lets everyone know that I'm working and to wait a second before interrupting, or think twice before interrupting. It also doesn't make me look like a psycho because at least I'm mouthing the words to a song rather than mumbling like Raymond (Rainman).

I just find it interesting because it seems most of the really intense programmers I know mumble as well. :)

I have 2 cel phones...they managed to give me one that didn't even have anything close to a normal ring (who is it that decides these things have to be so annoying, I mean, c'mon, do you really want a phone that barks???). So anyways, I just never hear the phone anymore because I won't turn the ringer on :)

[sub]01000111 01101111 01110100 00100000 01000011 01101111 01100110 01100110 01100101 01100101 00111111[/sub]
The never-completed website:

Do people really work in environments where their desks are all in lines? We have ours whichever way they fit. Usually in a corner or however they fit or however we like them.

--------------------------------------
"We are star-stuff. We are the universe made manifest trying to figure itself out."
-- Delenn in Babylon 5 - "A Distant Star"

Ours are however the managers want them. We're in rows. Picture the beds in the Madeline books... desk after desk in each area. At least in this part of the dept.

BeckahC
[noevil]

I now simply can't programme on laptops anymore. I have my workstation setup with 3 Monitors, 1 for media player, 1 For Preview of Work and 1 For code.

I need to listen to music otherwise people break my concentration every five minutes and wonder why its difficult to get stuff done.

It really pisses me off when someone (also a tech (non programmer though)) comes over and distracts me when i'm engrossed with the work im doing.

I work best alone (but im not normally antisocial) with headphones, as many crisps as i can get hold of and gallons of coffee.

Rob

algraf...rofl

I think I've done this at previous jobs and current. That's usually my cue to GO HOME! lol

Especially when I start reading the same line of code for about half an hour but nothing's getting in. :)

Do While (StartAtScreen = True)
DontDoEvents
Loop

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

I have an annoying habit. Drumming with my fingers. When my fingers are not on keybord they are drumming on the table. Fortunately, I am in a section of my office where the noise doesn’t affect my colleagues (at least I think so!!)

Anand

If I am stumped and not getting anywhere in the problem I have gold fish wars.

1) I take two Pepridgefarm Goldfish.
2) Stack one on the other and gently push until one breaks (this one loses)
3) The winner advances to the next battle.
4) When I find the gold fish that can beat all others, I
plan on sending it off to be cloned

"Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!"
- Daffy Duck

I'm another big fan of headphones. I tend to listen to fast-paced music (especially Korn), which helps keep my energy up while weeding out distractions. Not only does my boss allow this, if he notices me getting distracted by co-workers, he'll even suggest putting the headphones on.

I've noticed lately that I've been tapping my fingers or feet against my desk to the music. So far nobody's complained, but I figure it's probably pretty annoying.

Also, I have a tendency to snack at my desk (I've been known to finish an entire box of Count Chocula in a single day). You don't even want to see my keyboard. It's company culture (although not policy) to eat lunch at your desk. I imagine that all of the keyboards are pretty gross by now.

Lastly, I can't imagine programming without caffeine. Instead of coffee, I use sodas. The carbonation and sugar get the caffeine into my blood system faster. (Or do I now have blood in my caffeine system? I forget.)

My requirements:
-music
-coffee
-junk food
-occassional distraction (TT [smile])

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[ul][li]please tell us if our suggestion has helped[/li][li]need some help? faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

Goldfish wars... I really needed that laugh tonight!

MDXer, I didn't realize anyone else did that! Talk about being easily amused ;)

As far as distractions go, I handle everything IT-related in our company and need to always be available so I can't don headphones. That would be extremely handy though as one lady I work near is quite the talker. I think sometimes she just starts talking to nobody in particular in hopes that someone will respond. And me being the nearest to her I think she's talking to me and feel obliged to pretend I'm listening(which prompts her to talk more). Of course I'll often tune out everything, especially when I'm researching a problem, learning something new, or, um, reading Tek-Tips. But I can't seem to tune out distractions when I'm programming, which is usually when I need the most concentration :(

And I too tend to mumble when I work, so I guess that's becoming less an odd habit than being the norm. I also find that hand gestures help when thinking about code. Like pointing to lines of code that are running through your head or sweeps for confusion or frustration.

[purple]I definitely HAVE to get headphones - I'm surrounded by yappers! I talk/mumble to myself (& God) - it's a requirement while coding and sometimes, when I finally get what I'm working on to do what I want it to do, I let out a holler! Can't be any worse than the prating women around here (don't worry, I'm not being sexist, I'm also female, just not part of the henhouse...), one of which lets out a random whistle or two. I also listen to music - I, too have different mixes, depending upon my mood, which range from Classical, Latin Jazz, and Contemporary Christian, to Salsa, Merengue, some Pop, but mostly Rock, like Incubus, Hoobastank, and, if I can get the CDs from my youngest, Linkin Park and maybe even some Metallica (for REALLY angry days!).

I limit myself to one cup of coffee at day, unless I'm extremely tired, along with breakfast. I may snack during the day, but not too much. I also spend time in "research" at the TT website (like now)...[/purple]

[tongue]

JayeD
&quot;I'm sure of two things: there IS a God, and I'm NOT Him!&quot; - R. Williams

shortone,
I suggest getting an mp3 player. I have the Creative Labs Nomad. With 80GB of music storage, you can easily switch playlists depending on your mood and have it all at your finger tips. I currently have about 1500 songs loaded on mine, and haven't even put a serious dent in the storage space on the thing.

These things are great for tuning out the distractions of coworkers. Now if only I could keep from getting distracted by Tek-Tips...

[purple]KornGeek,
Good idea and I've wanted one for a while, but I'd have to get at least two, or I wouldn't have it long - it would get hijacked by one of my girls (may have to wait until the youngest goes off to college next year). It definitely would free up tons of space on my PC and I wouldn't have to use a thousand CDs to backup the music when I upgrade to a new one.

If you find a way to keep from getting distracted, please let me know......[/purple]

[peace]

JayeD
&quot;I'm sure of two things: there IS a God, and I'm NOT Him!&quot; - R. Williams

BeckahC,

I laughed when I read you refused to answer your cell phone in the ladies room...

I answer my phone 24x7. Since I start later than everyone else (my choice,) I have answered my phone while in the shower more than once. Some of the ladies at the office tend to feel squeamish about this, butttt... I wonder if it doesn't reduce the number of calls to my cell (at least in the AM.)

Jeff

Bad habits....

I now work in the middle of no where with occasional passerbyes so to keep what little sanity I have left I talk to my servers.... which wouldn't be too bad except I am miles away from them and remote access to them. I also sing and whistle but I can never remember the tunes / words to any songs so I tend to make them up as I go along.....

I also phone tech support just to be left on hold for hours on end so I can listen to fuzzy music via my crackly phone speaker..... ahhhh only 40 years to go! (short of lottery win of course!)

Iain

Don't worry sharks aren't poisonous

Left on hold for hours on end... my God...

Have you considered books on tape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back