Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Number of Concurrent Users 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZenSurfer

Technical User
Jun 9, 2007
US
I am displaying my crystal reports using ASP pages as the delivering medium. It seems that the limit of concurrent connections is 5. This meens that if more than 5 people access a report each, an error message appears stating that you have run out of concurrent user licenses.

Problem: I am using crystal reports developer edition (Cost: +/- $500)
I have been quoted $16404 to up the amount of concurrent connections to 20.
How on earth do they manage that!!!!!? When a full version of MsSql Server only costs $1000 dollars allowing unlimited connections?? My whole server didn't even cost $16404

How is a small business owner using Crystal sopposed to make reports available on the internet?
Is there a run-time version that isn't limited to 5 concurrent connections ??
- please God tell me there is!

I feel your pain!! Having encountered the same problem, the solution I employed was to export the reports to PDF format, release the license used to generate the report and re-direct the user to the newly created .pdf file. Needless to say, you'll loose several features of an online report like drill-down, on-demand reports, hyper-links and the like but at least you'l never runn out of licenses. The .pdf export ties up the licens for only the time needed to generate it as opposed to an online viewer which keeps the license as long as the user has the report open in the browser window.

Hi,

I posed the following question to Crystal Decisions:

1. Can Crystal Reports 8.5 Developer be used for development of more than one application? How does the 5 concurrent licensing model work with this scenario? If the applications were separate, then each application would be allowed 5 concurrent run-time licenses. Going off the same database would not be an issue. This might pose a little more work on our part to keep things separate. For Example:

1 reporting page for Accounting, and reporting page for Project manager would be deemed as 2 applications. (Other work on server required as well for definition of 2 different applications.) This would allow us 10 concurrent licenses, 5 for each application. If we defined one reporting module (1 application), with a front end to allow user to login, then decide if based on user credentials what reports they can see, this would be deemed as 1 application.

Crystal Decisions: “If the two applications are separate and stand-alone, targeting different audiences (say Proj Managers and VPs) then they both can utilize 5 concurrent access licenses.”

So, break-up current application into separate applications maybe based on different user groups. (Can be same DB)

2. Concerning concurrent licenses. Does the user displaying a report have a "thread" for one of the five licenses until they leave the page displaying the report? How is handled? When do they "get" a thread, and when is it "released". Please explain.

Answer: Thread is held while user in application. (Pages are somehow defined to know what is part of the application.) There is a programmable timeout that can be set. (Default is 20 minutes.) The thread is also released when the user goes to a page that is not part of the application.

Maybe set default timeout to something less than 20 minutues?

I how this helps... I spent days putting investigating the licensing issues of Crystal 8.5 and put together a document. The above notes are from that document.

Darlene

I too was ticked when I decided to upgrade to 8.5 Professional purely to get some bugs fixed and they decided to uninstall the webserver from 7 expecting me to install the enterprise version. After reading that I would get 5 concurrent users, I decided to pop in my 7.0 CD again and install the web publishing services only. That leaves me with 8.5 installed to create the reports, and using the web publishing of 7.0

CR, go take a hike for this behavior!

computergeek,

This is not my area of expertise, but it sounds like you are saying that CE tracks concurrent users for the two applications separately, and will tell you when either maxes out at 5, without getting the two applications confused?
Even though the 2 apps are running on the same web server?
Do you know what the key is to configuring this so that the 5 user tracking considers the apps as separate? Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guide to using Crystal in VB
tek@kenhamady.com

I have just encountered the same. I can not believe that something that was free in 8.0 now costs so much as to render it useless. I though my understanding was wrong. The only way around it is to convert your web reports back into a good old thin client vb app.s and run them off the network server. What a rip off!
If someone has found a solution; please let me know.
Good luck.

gjgrosso,

Not exactly. The key license distinction is between "server based" and "client based" applications. Even a VB app, if run off of the server, would be considered a server-based app for license purposes. A careful read of the license (of course I am not a lawyer) seems to indicate that the key is where the 'report processing' takes place. Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
tek@kenhamady.com

i was able to get a patch that let me reset the default timeout from 20 min to whatever i deemed reasonable. i went with 3 minutes. so any time i had more than 3 min of inactivity the license released.

Hi gjgrosso,

Your complaint that you now have to pay for >5 users in CR8.5 whereas it used to be free in CR8 is not correct.

If you read the license agreement for CR8 you will find the exact same license restrictions - you can build and deploy fat client applications to unlimited customers, but if you want to build client/server or web-based applications you are restricted to 5 concurrent users.

The difference is simply that the limit was not enforced in CR8 whereas it now is in CR8.5.

To clarify Ken's point... from the license agreement:

“Client Application” means a purpose-specific software program that utilizes the Royalty Free Runtime Software and is installed fully on an end user’s machine, with all report processing local to that machine. Software programs consisting of more than one related module(s) or components shall be considered one Client Application.

“Server Application” means a purpose-specific software program that utilizes the Server Software and allows multiple users Access to the Server Software. Software programs consisting of more than one related module(s) or components shall be considered one Server Application.

The Server Software is licensed to you for use in a Server Environment, or to create Server Applications. You have the right to allow Access to the ServerSoftware or Server Applications for up to, but not to exceed, the number of Concurrent Users authorized in the file “Server.hlp”.
[Note that this number is 5 for all editions of CR8.]

If you want to exceed the number of users authorized to Access the Server Software or Server Applications in the file “Server.hlp”, you must acquire additional Access Licenses as a stand-alone offering. Additional Access Licenses may be acquired in such numbers and on such terms as set forth in the file “Server.hlp.” Under no circumstances may the number of Concurrent Users you are authorized to allow Access to the Server Software or Server Application exceed the number authorized in the file “Server.hlp” by combining additional Software licenses, other Seagate products that include Access Licenses, promotional offers of any kind, or by any other means, other than through the purchase of additional Access Licenses as a stand-alone offering.

In short, if you are using CR8 in client/server applications with >5 concurrent users, you are in violation of your license agreement and should purchase additional "Server Software Access Licenses" to become compliant.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Alan Eldridge
Melbourne, Australia

Alan,

I am not a lawyer, but from my reading of the license, the distinction seems to be based on where the applicaton files and report engine files are installed (and where the 'report processing' takes place). It doesn't seem to matter where the data files are located. Does that fit with your reading, or is that a question for the lawyers? Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
tek@kenhamady.com

Hi Ken,

You are spot on... the distinction is based on where the CR print engine is instantiated.

For a client application, the necessary RDC DLLs (most often craxdrt.dll) are running on the client PC so this is where the "report processing" takes place. Even if the RPT file is opened from a network drive it is processed on the client machine. This is therefore a client application and comes under the royalty free runtime agreement - ie. you can freely distribute your application. Note - this solution can only be done with a fat-client Win32 executable program running on the client PC (although the actual .exe file might be stored on a network drive).

For a client/server application - the most common form of which is a web application where the RDC is invoked through ASP code - the RDC DLLs are actually executed on the application server tier (sometimes this is also the web server tier). On the client tier, all you have running is the smart viewer component (available in ActiveX, Java and HTML flavours) that renders the EPF files generated by the pageserver. Again, it does not matter if the RPT files are read from local or network drives, the point of distinction is that the "report processing" is occuring on the application server, not the client tier.

I hope this clarifies things.

Cheers, Alan Eldridge
Melbourne, Australia

Hi pmtrcpmtrc,
Can you tell me how you accomplished this?
I'm looking for the same solution now....

Thanks & Regards,
Nijeesh.

Just to add a bit more information, I'm looking at a 3rd party software which utilises the Crystal Run-Time. I wanted to ensure that the 3rd party were not 'pulling a fast one' with regard to distribution licenses. Obviously I can't divulge who the vendors were (marked as *****)as this is still ongoing, but I can give you CrystalDecisions response :

The initial feedback I have had from my OEM team is that this solution will not be licensed by Crystal Decisions as there is no free runtime however, I have e-mailed my legal team in California who are looking in to the contract and will come back to me with a conclusive answer.

I have now received a response from our Legal Department who are looking at the ***** solution currently and they have provided me with the following response for your reference :
Our legal department has reviewed documentation created by ***** concerning their use of the Crystal Decisions runtime files, and they have several concerns around ***** application.
First, our legal department tells us that a customer who uses the ***** product to distribute reports to more than 50 recipients would at the least be required to obtain a Crystal Reports Broadcast License from Crystal Decisions. In addition, it appears from ***** description of the ***** application that it is a Web/Server Application, as defined in the Crystal Reports license agreement. In that case, ***** would need to obtain from Crystal a separate license to redistribute that application, and no such license has been obtained.
A Server/Web-based Application is defined in the Crystal Reports 8.5 License Agreement as follows:

"Server/Web-based Application" means a purpose-specific software program that utilizes the Runtime Software and allows multiple users to Access the Runtime Software. Software programs consisting of more than one related module(s) or components shall be considered one Server/Web-based Application.

Although the Access to the Runtime Software on the Server as described by ***** is through a middle tier application, this falls within the following definition of Access in the Crystal Reports 8.5 License Agreement.

"Access" means connected to a Server/Web-based Application either directly or indirectly through any middle tier applications.

The Crystal Reports 8.5 License Agreement specifically prohibits distribution of Server/Web-based Applications without a further license from Crystal Decisions.
I hope this sufficiently answers your query regarding the solution provided by ***** however should you have any further queries relating to the ***** solution then please don't hesitate to contact me and I will do my best to answers these for you.

Can someone please confirm my suspsicions/less technical person's interpretation of this?
So: If I want to build a bunch of reports and enable them to be viewed across the web by a small group of people (around 20, or so, using either CE or ASP) Crystal Reports 8.5 will only allow up to 5 of them to run reports at the same time.
It doesn't matter if they're running different reports, as long as they are accessing the same server to 'run' the report (they won't have CR on their machine), they use up a license for the time they are connected. Is this correct?

Also, does this make 9 Advanced, with 'up to 3 concurrent connections + unlimited queuing' a better bet? The upgrade price I've been quoted is around $1600, but that sounds better than some additional licenses. I am at a good place to figure this out - the project has not started yet(miracle of miracles). Please, let me know what you think...thanks in advance!

Lanfield said above:
"i was able to get a patch that let me reset the default timeout from 20 min to whatever i deemed reasonable. i went with 3 minutes. so any time i had more than 3 min of inactivity the license released"

We are having a problem with too many users and the company not providing for more licenses. Understandable given the cost. My question is where is this patch and what setting do you change? I found time settings under the Page Server, Cache Server, the Input Repository, the Output Repository. So which one do I set to boot the user off and free up a license? And if the patch is needed what patch specifically is it?

I am using Enterprise 8.5 the free version.

thanks

Remember the Past, Plan for the Future, yet Live in the Present for tomorrow may never come.
-etrain

Hi,
I'm using Crystal Enterprise 8.0. But I guess it should be almost the same in 8.5.
Go to Crystal Enterprise -> Crystal Configuration Manager.
Choose Crystal Web COmponent Server. Stop it. Rt Click and choose "properties". Go to command text box and add
"blah..blah... -defaultSessionTimeout 10"
at the end.
Start the server.
This should work...

Thanks & Regards,
Nijeesh.

I will try that. Thanks. It is more of a rhetorical question but why wouldn't there be a place on the Enterprise Management Console to set this timeout?
Remember the Past, Plan for the Future, yet Live in the Present for tomorrow may never come.
-etrain

Hello Everyone,

I've received a little bit more information which I think is a bit concerning.

Apparantly, if you use crystal enterprise to produce an electronic output (e.g. pdf) then distribute this file to more than 50 users, this requires a distribution license (approx £35000).

If you produce a paper copy and distribute it, that's fine.

We have a digital media storage system, for Audit purposes, which we store .txt files. This storage system is available to approx 500 staff members. If I produce these .txt files using crystal enterprise then transfer the .txt files to the digital storage, I would then be 'distributing' them to more than 50 users, requiring a distribution license.
Reebo
Scotland (Raining)

Well I too have reached this question. CE Version 8 SP 1 will allow you to change the timeout. If you found you could not do it. I have 2 questions:
Is there a difference with the lic usage for managed and unmanaged reports?
If I have a report that contains 2 subreports do I use at least 3 lic. to run the report.

When I hear it, I do not recomend to use CR. It is less expensive to redistribute graphic artists to your customers :)
It seems CR is putting a licence on your own documents, this is unacceptable. Consult it with your lawyer, it is not legal in some countries. In such a case you can ignore it. In other countries you need a written contract with CR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back