Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT Logons when BDC not online

Status
Not open for further replies.

judas90

Technical User
Jun 10, 2003
GB
Hello

When I close down my BDC then go to logon to an NT Workstation there is no Domain present to log on to even though my PDC is still up and running.
Any ideas would be apprieciated.
Matt

This seems that you have a problem with name resolution. Are you using WINS or just lmhosts? If you are using WINS, are you sure that the machines do not have an lmhosts that it is conflicting with the information in the WINS server?
Are the BDC and PDC using lmhost that is conflicting with WINS? Are both the PDC and BDC also WINS servers? If they are, point both the Primary and secondary WINS under TCP/IP configuration to itself. If you have only one WINS then point both the PRIMARY and SECONDARY WINS for all DCs to the same wins IP.

Hope this helps,

Gladys Rodriguez
GlobalStrata Solutions

Should LMhosts be enabled or disabled under TCP/IP?

I have one WINS server on my PDC. Is this required, since I have only one subnet??

Make sure of the following:

-Both wins entries on your BDC are pointing to your PDC
-Both wins entries on the PDC are pointing to itself
-All other servers/workstations wins entries point to PDC

These must be in correct in order for workstations/member servers to find the IP address of domain controllers. If you are using DHCP for IP address assignment make sure you make these changes on your DHCP server so the correct addresses are issued.

You can do an ipconfig /all from the command line to determine the addresses used on a client configured for DHCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back