Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NRU 10.0 & Norstar Manager 3.5 with Modular DR5

Status
Not open for further replies.

New2Norstar

Technical User
Jul 23, 2003
US
I have a Modular 8x24 DR5 with a FastRAD device. I found Norstar Manager 3.5 (for Windows XP) and Norstar Remote Utilities 10.0 on Nortel's website and was able to download from an unsecure link.

I have found that NRU10.0 will only allow me to use the Remote Set tool. Browser, OffLine Programming, and Backup/Restore tools all tell me: "You are connected to system Modular DR5. Backup and Restore Tool is not supported on this system".

In Norstar Manager 3.5, I am able to connect and see a summary of my configuration. But if I try to navigate through Programming or try printing reports, the application will randomly crash/terminate with no error messages.

Norstar Manager 3.5 looks like it has everything I am looking for. I just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions on how to keep it from crashing on my Windows XP system (also had same results on Windows NT 4 system).

Thanks in advance.
Bryan

I have never had the software be unstable, but if the line you are using is a bit noisy, you can get crashes. You might try bumping your baud rate down a bit to see if you still have problems.

MarvO said it

There is a newer version of Norstar Manager - it is Norstar Manager 3.7 - it was made to correct the troubles 3.5 had with Windows NT.

I am having the same problem with my Win 2000 laptop. I have found the program to be very unstable. It took three tries to complete a backup when I was connected directly to the RAD and I have been unable to connect remotely to the RAD using the operator transfer feature.

Win XP does have an option to run a program in a compatibilty mode to emulate Win 95 for example but I have not tried this feature yet.

If anyone has other thoughts on these problems I would like to hear.

Thanks

Rob

More details on my original post...

I am using a direct serial cable at 19200 baud. My only other choice when connecting is 9600 and I cannot even establish a connection when I choose 9600.

I have also tried combinations of running the Win NT/2K/XP version of the Norstar Manager 3.5 installation in all the "compatibility modes" in Windows XP (Compatibility Modes = Win95, Win98, NT4, Windows 2000). I have also tried installing the Win 9x version of the Norstar Manager 3.5 installation in Windows XP to run it in "compatibility mode". The Win 9x version always gets a "Divide by 0" error when it starts on my Windows XP system regardless of compatibility mode.

Thanks.
Bryan

Thanks, lowradiation.

Unfortunetly, I only have Norstar Manager 3.5 because it is apparently available as an open download on Nortel's website, but the Norstar Manager 3.7 link is "secure".

Thanks.
Bryan

What "unsecure" link had 10.0?

Howard Dingman
Pro-Tel Communications
Endicott, NY

Nortel messed up and you could get NRU10 off there website.

not now though, I take it. I went there and it's secure.

??
hd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back