Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Notebook/Laptop Repair Instruction or Course?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbd0722

Technical User
Apr 25, 2000
US
I would like to know how to repair and service PC Notebooks/Laptops. Do you know of a quality Notebook Repair Service and Support Course that I could attend or purchase? I am familliar with Desktop Service and Support. Thank You

Good luck! As you know, most desktops are basically similar. Laptops are all different, each maker has it's own design. The only way to work on them is to go to the manufacturer's site for each one and look for manuals, you won't find a whole lot.

As micker377 said, notebooks are all designed differently, I don't know any repair courses for laptops. All I can say is keeping your eyes open for one and if you do work on a notebook without a course remember that a laptop is basically a shrunk down desktop. Use common sense and you should be fine...

There's a book by QUE entitled "Upgrading and Repairing Laptop Computers" and is available in Amazon.com. It should help you out in some problems but not all. I have this book and it helped me a lot.

As you probably already know, the reason it's so hard to find anyone locally to work on laptops is that they are so very susceptable to ESD, electro-static discharge, and most repair facilities work on them in clean rooms.
I have taken a couple of IBM Stinkpads apart and as BlinkingLeaf said, "use common sense and you should be fine." Be very attentive to what went where as there is little room for error. Because of space limitations, even cables and wiring must go exactly where it was designed to go.
Also, look for the book mentioned MaxLinx2004 at half.com. I buy almost ALL of my books there for a fraction of what Amazon charges!
Best of luck!

DWalrus

I must add to what DWalrus and BlinkingLeaf had already mentioned, if you have an experience in electronics repair and stuff like that, you will be fine. Except that Notebooks and Laptops are to be treated differently. Use the right tool for the right screws(job). I've seen a technician (I don't really call him technician) using an allen key instead of a Torx screw driver. The screws are tiny if not small and a lot of them if you disassemble a complete Laptop. And always be carefull on what you are pulling.

Hey DWalrus, thanks for the tip on half.com.

Ramacdo also posted some info on the one on ebay at thread602-866386

Stephen [infinity]
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life:
no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6 KJV

mbd0722,

Go to they have a book that you might be able to use. ISBN: 0-7897-2800-1 Upgrading and Repairing Laptops.
I happened to find a listing for it in an A+ course book, didn't know if you were still looking for something like it but decided that I would let you know anyway.
Anyway, hope everything works out for you.

-Leaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back