Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

'Not Valid'

Status
Not open for further replies.

7canines

Technical User
Jul 5, 2008
US
Had removed cross-connect on x108 at MDF a couple months ago. Connected back and phone is inoperative (works on another port). When calling x108 you receive a 'Not Valid'. This is occurring on several ports previously connected to phones as well. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated (I am doing this for my church and Toshiba is where my experience is).

you have the jack mis-pinned or bad cabling

get a 4 pin to 66 block testar adapter they are lifesavers for walking down the cabling to idf's

I'd first check to make sure the AMPS are securely seated in the jacks. The 8th port is the last 3 (4) pairs of an amp cable (22-23-24) and it could be what's causing the no dial tone.

As far as the physical extension, read the database. We tend to put voice mail ports in end of card positions, so 108 could be reassigned for VM. Command 003 will read the extensions back in port and numbering order as in 01-1 101 01-2 201 02-1 102 02-2 202 etc.

If you don't have a 1232-PM, look around and get one. It will help you understand stuff. Your ports could be assigned as VM ports, or have a different COS, and that's easier to follow if you have a manual.

LkEErie

I cross-connected to a cable feeding a jack (moving x101 from there), then tried connecting directly to the MDF. Even wired both pairs to test jack (I have a Testar adapter too). The phone did not work at all, but I did have analog DT on the first pair. I tried several phones with the same result. There are several ports that show the same thing that had phones connected at one time, but not now.

Oops. Sounds like a blown fuse that powers the digital ports. I don't think it's field repairable, but you might check with the usual suspects.

LkEErie

Moved cross-connect from x101 to x108 (was moving x101 elsewhere). When it did not work I went straight to the MDF and wired a jack to port 08-1. Phone still did not work, but I had analog DT on the first pair. I tried several phones and even repunched my test jack pairs. Also, there are a couple of other previously punched ports with no phone connected now that are showing 'NOT VALID' when trying to call that extension (ex. 122). I verified that port 08-1 is x108 in P003. Any other suggestions?

Oops. Sounds like a blown fuse that powers the digital ports. I don't think it's field repairable, but you might check with the usual suspects.

LkEErie

the td is very forgiving id plug in a test block
in to the system and walk down the exts with your testar
and test each "dead"if there is a dead short somewhere on the frame it can do all kinds of wacky things also sometimes a reset will revive the system. S

Thanks for the input. I thought about a system reset, but not sure on outcome on a Panasonic... Thanks again!

back it up first! make sure switch is not set to init!

Saw the init/nrml switch this morning, but did not do a reset at that time. Can a backup be executed through programming from the phone or must you have a laptop?

Let me rephrase this. UNPLUG BOTH AMP CABLES from the cabinet.

If you have a "testar" plug it into one of the 2 amp jacks. Do you get a display? If you don't get a display in EITHER cable, look for a testing failure. A digital phone uses the 2nd of 3 pairs to work in either cable. Look around, swap the cables, move P2 into P1's slot and see if any of those phone work. Do whatever it takes to learn if you have a bad testing cable, a shorted cable somewhere, or a plain miswired tester.

If you don't have a tester and only one cable, pull all the bridge clips or make it so that you're only looking at the 2nd pair of the AMP cable (white-orange pair). You only want to look at the first or first two pairs with nothing else plugged into the extensions. If you don't get digital station dial tone with only one jack installed, then you probably have a cabinet problem.

You may find that once you clear the short on the extensons, the cabinet will start functioning.

LkEErie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back