Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

nortel phone mailbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

jls1017

Technical User
May 3, 2019
US
I have Meridian phones with a Nortel system. We have one extension that will not accept voicemail. When you forward a call to that extension and it isn't picked up, the line rings back. If you try to check the mailbox from an outside line it says the mailbox is not initialized. I have tried to delete the mailbox and re-add it but nothing changes.

Any suggestions?

If a phone needs to be told where to go after X amount of rings if no answer.
This is not a problem of the voice mail system but rather the phone system

Check FNA - Forward No Answer setting in Capabilities is set to the DN of voice mail and X amount of Rings, and/or adjust Transfer Calllback ring count (in System Programming/Feature Settings) to 6 or higher so it does not conflict with FNA.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Mailbox has to be initialized before it will accept messages...you must change the default password and record a name and then it should work

Foneset is also right.

Sorry, I missed that comment at the end "it says the mailbox is not initialized"

The set will not except messages when not initialized however when calling the set the vmail prompt would tell you "this mailbox is not initialized" so you have 2 problems.

-Program your FNA for that set in the KSU so that voice mail will answer instead of bouncing back
-Have the user initialize the mailbox

Update this thread when you have fixed please.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

-Program your FNA for that set in the KSU so that voice mail will answer instead of bouncing back

Can you provide more detail on how to program the FNA?

Navigate to Sets/XXX/Capabilities/ForwardNoAnswer

If you are unsure on how to program, know the password or how to navigate then you need to call a vendor(tech), take a course or read the System Coordinator Guide.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

It now seems to be getting voicemail but if you use F986 it says the mailbox is not initialized.

-make sure the mailbox # matches the ext # (F983/MAILBOX/CHANGE/XXX/Ext: ???)
-see if have same symptom when you do F980 (leave message) to the same Ext/DN

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

-make sure the mailbox # matches the ext # (F983/MAILBOX/CHANGE/XXX/Ext: ???)
-see if have same symptom when you do F980 (leave message) to the same Ext/DN

both say Mailbox not init

After using F983 then admin/mailbox/ choioces are change del and add. What do you mean by 2XX?

Feature *0 then intercom shows the correct ext

Got everything working but the message waiting indicator. Thanks for all the help

No. He is just checking periodically during the day. I am going to try switching the phone next

If the Mailbox 223 is set as Ext:223 and that the MSG Waiting is set to Y then it sounds like corruption.

Things that might fix corruption:
-Delete the mailbox and re-build it
-Reboot the voice mail system
-Do a REINSTALL and reprogram from scratch
-Replace the software card

You should really be calling in a tech, this would have been resolved in the first visit.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

I tried to find someone but there isn’t anyone near Port Clinton, Ohio who services our phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back