Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel Extranet Access Client 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have Nortel Extranet Access Client (v03_70.18) installed on a Windows 98 machine. At home, I have DSL connected to a Linksys router with my home machine (Win XP Home Edition).

When I connect my laptop (win98) to the router and log in with the Nortel Client, I get logged on fine and can access all my Corporate resources. After about 5 minutes, I get an error stating "The Routing Table cannot be changed. Connection terminated.". I then have to restart my computer to connect again (and still only for 5 minutes).

I loaded a Nortel client on my home PC and was able to connect without any problem. The connection did not terminate after 5 minutes.

To test my work machine (laptop), I dialed into my ISP and then logged in with the Nortel client. Again, the routing table changed after 5 minutes and my connection was terminated so I know it's not the Linksys router.

The helpdesk at work is stumped. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Ok, I had EAC 2.something or another working fine on my W2k Server machine. Unfortunately i tried to upgrade to the VPN 4.15. The software looks like it is going to load but spits out an error at the end

"Failed to get registry key value for NT_IPSECSHM:"
"System\CurrentControlSet\ENUM\ROOT\NT_IPSECSHM\0000\Driver"

This it just says operation fail software did not load.

I think alot of you have seen something familiar in the past but i cant find a fix. The registry value they refer to does not even exist. Should I had it in, How?

Reply for JCMercure

10048 Socket Error message

I had the same error message using 2.62.33 of the Nortel client. It worked fine on Windows 2000 Pro and suddendly it stopped working. I have downloaded the latest VPN client (link is provided somewhere in this forum). This version worked fine, I did not have the error message anymore. I then uninstalled this latest version and reinstalled my 2.62.33 version and now it worked fine again. (The 2.62.33 is the version my company is using.)

Not sure if this helps...

Luc

jcmercure: "Opened ports 50,51,500 and 1723 to both TCP and UDP traffic."

Remove 51. I ran across doco that said that this port may cause issues.

I may not know what I'm talking about because I still cannot get 415D to work. =P

I had MS VPN working, but now it won't connect either. Frustrating to use RAS when I have this fat pipe to work with!

Irritated:

create the key:

“Driver : REG_SZ : {4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0008

Irritated:

create the key:

“Driver : REG_SZ : {4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0008

I'm having the same problem with connecting using the VPN, then a pause of a few seconds and then the text of:

The secure Contivity VPN connection has been lost". Click Connect to re-establish connection."

I have tried all of the fixes listed above and still nothing.

EAC 4.15 is older than 4.6. 4.6 adds a handy feature of client side logging. Both support Nat Traversal but it needs to be enabled also on the Contivity side it isn't sufficient to have only a client that supports it. Also have found that automatically detect nat setting is the most reliable. According to Nortel version V04_05.020 is the minimal code required for NAT on the Contivity switch. There is still an issue of port wander through NAT but if you are using a custom client you can modify the setup.ini file to enable "silent keepalives".

I had the connect but then timeout after 2 to five
minutes problem using EAC V02_62.47 as supplied
by my employer. I worked over dialup, but
when I went to sharing a Comcast cable modem
connection via a NetGear RP614 router. Here is
the message I was getting:

"The routing table cannot be altered
after the Extranet connection has been made

The extranet connection has been closed."

I solved it (many thanx to people above),
by enabling port forwarding on 500 and 1723,
changing RIP from "both" to "none".

However, when I first did this, I still got
the exact same behavior and message. I had
to back out one change that had not previously
worked, I had disabled "Keepalives", when I
enabled them again it worked. I have not
done further experimenting, perhaps the RIP
was not necessary either.

In any case, my Netgear RP614 box was easy to
configure and works fine. I had been concerned
because I had read elsewhere that the RP614 cannot
change MTU size, and several anecdotes that
people had had to alter MTU size to get VPN
working. I confirmed with Netgear tech support
that it is true that the RP614 cannot configure
the MTU, but I notice nobody on this thread
which seems more informed has found it relevant.

-- many thanx, Martin

I was just given the extranet client to connect to a client's site. I also get the "create socket failed on 10048" error. I'm on W2k professional with 56K connectivity. What should've been a simple install obviously isn't.

I resolved the 10048 error by removing another vpn client software. Unfortuantely, now my system reboots every time I try to connect.

Hi,

I just bought a Draytek Vigor 2200W Plus router and now I try to configure access to my corporate network from home over a DSL line using the Nortel EAC.

First the access worked well - but one day later (after rebooting my PC at home) I'Ve been not longer able to access my companies corporate network through my router.

I already tried to configure the port forwarding as described in the thread above - but it still doesn't work. I can connect to the server, but during the 'Getting configuration' popup the EAC hangs for minutes - hours...

Any idea - help - hint ?

Thanks and regards - Joerg

POSSIBLE SOLUTION TO "checking for banner text from" PROBLEM:

I experienced this problem as well. It turns out that my linksys router was not configured properly. When specifying the WAN connection type (192.168.1.1) on the "setup tab" I had left it as the default type "obtain an IP automatically". For my ISP (earthlink) I needed to select "PPPoE" as the connection type, and fill in the appropriate fields when that selection was made, apply the settings and reboot my computer. It was hard to track down for me at least, because all the rest of my internet applications were working fine with the default setting.
Sure hope this helps some folks, cause I know it was driving me insane trying to get it ipsec and pptp to work.

Hi Guys,

I already use the client eac415d on XP with the aol dsl flat and I get the same error: "checking for banner text from" I don't use a router. Can you help me?

I'm still trying to solve the "checking for banner text" dropped connection issue.

It might help if I knew what is actually happening when this message appears. What is "banner text"? Thanks.

I'm using the Netgear RP614 and WIN 98SE and am having the same problem as others with the EAC (v 4.60) connection hanging up at "checking for banner text..." No solutions suggested here so far have worked. The EAC connects fine through the modem, but not the router. I've forwarded ports from 500 to 4500 with no luck.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

On the "Create socket failed with 10048" error, uninstalling
the Cisco VPN client and reinstalling the Nortel Contivity VPN client fixed the problem in my case.

Mark

Anyone know if EAC 4.6 fixes the DNS issues? With 4.15 on XP I sometimes have to login/logout 10 times to get the nameserver settings to take effect.

Thanks.

I found an answer to my banner text problem. I am using Zone Alarm and had to change the security level from "high" to "medium." This did not work with the Netgear RP614 to my knowledge, but worked fine with the Linksys BEFSR41. Note with this router I had no need to forward ports or change any default settings, just tweak ZoneAlarm. Hope this may help others.

Autmnriver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back