Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel BCM 400 disconnects when going to Network Interfaces config

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deryk Hagey

IS-IT--Management
Feb 7, 2017
US
I have a BCM 400 at this facility and when going to Resources -> Network Interfaces in BCM Element Manager you get an error message stating "The server issued a warning message" "Connection was closed due to inactivity. It disconnects your session and you have to log back in. You cannot make changes to the network config. I only know enough about this device to do basic maintenance and I have had no problem (and still have no problem) going to any other setting in Element Manager. It's only if you try to go into Network Interfaces this issue shows. I was wanting to get in there to see if I could change a setting to make it possible to communicate to the device remotely using a VPN established to our regular network. I have tried making this change by accessing the device using both network interfaces and they both kick me off. I am using an old Windows XP machine we have kept specifically to access this device. I also tried another old XP machine I had with a 'new' install of BEM and it has the same problem. I have restarted the BCM400. The system software version is listed as 4.0.2.03 on the BCM 400 and Element manager is what downloads from the system itself, 2.76.0 build bcm40ab17 Java 1.6.0_02. On the 2nd machine I tried a version I obtained from British Telecom website (only download I could find). It was version 60.3.0 Java 1.6.0_07

Try Windows 10
-Install the latest Java
-Do Option 1 listed in the FAQ's here
-Download & install the Element Manager from the BCM: BCMIPaddress/apps/private/elementmanagerwin.htm
-Test

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

I'm using BEM 62.0.5 on my Win7 PC. I just connected remotely to a BCM400 R4 this past Thursday. I happened to look at the Network Interface settings and had no problems. I also use this version of BEM on an old XP PC and on a Linux Mint PC.

As Curlycord suggested, download the version of BEM from the BCM400 and test again. If you update Java to the latest version you will need to enable the MD5 settings in the java.security file. This FAQ details how to enable MD5 in Java.

Brian Cox
Georgia Telephone

ok, Tried on a Windows 10 machine (fresh install just in case) with the BEM download from the BCM and the latest version of java with the security changes.

Same result, disconnected when going to network interface.

I will try checking directly using a system phone and get back

I tried to connect remotely and this was my error that I have never seen before:

Exception occurred when trying to connect
java.net.UIRSnyntaxExeption: Illegal Character in Authority at index 8

I might try Restore/Restore From Factory Default and check just the network, if not try other items.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

To follow up, I finally got to a phone to check. I forgot you could modify the server IP information from a phone so thanks for that reminder. I was able to modify the servers subnet mask from a phone, which is what I was wanting to do.

That didn't change the situation with BEM disconnecting me in the Network resources screen. However I got the setting changed I needed and I'm probably not going to expend more time on the situation now as I have bigger fish to fry.

Thank you both for your help.

I would do a Restore form Factory default and select only "Date Services & Network Interfaces" (uncheck the rest), then re-program from scratch.
Probably a 10 minute job max.....whenever you want to fry some smelts.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

I guess I'm not sure where to find the option to save the Programming Record.

I did get a backup done.

Right now it's functional and doing what I want so I am pretty hesitant to mess with it further because I hate to break it if it is working.

I had a similar issue and mine was corruption on the BCM side. Any time you tried to go into the network settings it kicked you off and I think it was the same message as you. Only solution was to factory reset and reprogram it. I also used telephone programming as workaround until I had time to do the reset. Thankfully it was a small system. It was many years ago for me.

I have another unit (my second to last BCM in service now)
It has a phantom SIP trunk. You will not find it anywhere in element manager yet it still exists.
It still tries to register with the sip server and if I change the credentials back to the original password on that sip account it will register itself and accept calls.
Spooky

I dumped the programming record for that BCM and this trunk does not appear anywhere in the excel file either.
The only way I find references to it in the BCM is messages about it inside the log files or if I login with ssh and grep through the binary config file for strings like the sip server address or login name.

Thanks Queball780 for the reply. I am fairly sure by now we have arrived at the same conclusion. Corruption in the BCM400. Your reply would help confirm our suspicions.

They just really need to look at moving to a newer system anyway for a variety of reasons, but of course telephones aren't top of mind for them as usual, until it quits....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back