Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norstar VM Manager will not connect to NAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbdudley

Technical User
Aug 14, 2002
US
We have a MICS 5.0 / NAM 4 setup here which has been in place for over a year. During installation, I configured the NAM IP address to 192.168.11.250 and have used it many times with the Norstar Voice Mail Manager software.

I tried to use the software again today, and it attempts to connect to the NAM, but fails with the message "Error communicating with server". However, I can ping the NAM, and connect to it with Telnet (it responds with "OS/2 Version 2.4", followed by a password prompt).

Any thoughts on what has happened, and how to correct the situation? No changes have been made to the system configuration. Thanks for your help.

If you have not already done so I would reboot the NAM. I have had the same problem before and that corrected it for me.

Windows 98 can also be logged onto a network, yet show no users when going to Network Neighborhood. I find the only thing that fixes this is to perform a shutdown and then power back on. I would suggest a full shutdown of the NAM and then power back on.

Brian Cox

Rebooting the NAM corrected the problem.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

I've had this issue crop up three times so far, and I've never been able to come up with any solution other than "reboot the NAM."

It's particularly annoying in my case because we use Desktop Messaging, which also fails.

Please let me know why this is the case. I cannot get mine to come back up. Is there a full time fix for this other the REBOOT?

phicks,

My vendor tells me this is a symptom of the Blaster virus and its variants. While the NAM will not become infected, "something" happens to it that requires rebooting. I suggest you take a look at the machines on your network and disinfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back