Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norstar System Reset Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

pst133ox

IS-IT--Management
Aug 24, 2007
US
Hi.

I'm relatively new to the world of getting headaches trying to solve phone problems. I've got what has been described to me as a Nortel MICS system. Recently multiple users in my building have been experiencing the same issue.

While they are in the middle of a call- the connection will drop. The display on the phone ( this kind.) flashes in the way it does when you unplug the phone and plug it in. This happens multiple times a day. My phone system is running something before version 7.0 (feature ** config = 30nCG20 NAT)(my voicemail system (is this referred to as CCR?) is running 1.7)

We thought this might've been an issue due to losing our UPS on the unit. We replaced this and made sure the power outlet we were using was OK.
I'm not really sure where to go from here.
I guess the newer version of the MICS system is not interchangeable with our voicemail system version?

If anyone has any info that would be GREAT

If your ALL the phones are resetting it sounds like the powers supply in the Key system on it's way out the door.

If it's just a few phones, are they all on a feeder cable to a different floor or portion of building?

There was an issue with M7310 phones rel 21 and below reseting because of microwave tower in area.I had this a couple of times and it was the phones near the windows that were reseting.

Interesting on the radio tower interference. I don't know of any towers in the immediate area though we do have Wifi throughout the building. My phone right here is rev 19D. But this is a recent occurrence - we've had the wireless for quite some time.

I haven't checked every single phone- but every single phone we have is an M7310. I've witnessed similar problems to the one I've had on a few users phones- other users explain similar symptoms.

If the power supply is failing would it come back as instantly as it is? It goes from being in a call- to off- displaying the time usually still. Then there is no response when you lift the receiver or press any buttons.

Is there a good way to test this without ordering a replacement?

Try to identify all the phones that experiencing the problem. Are any of your phones fed by a feed cable or are they all home run back to the phone system?

If it's not ALL the telephones at one time, it's unlikely to be the power supply.

Adversity is Opportunity

Just got back from hunting wires.

They appear to be going into something that looks like this.

Is this called a cross-connect field?

Anyway. There are 3 large connectors coming out of the main Norstar unit- the wires contained in these are feeding to a whole series of the connectors pictures above. I could not find the one marked for my phone extension.

I guess the next step will be to find out if the people having the issues are connected to the same set of these things?

On the affected sets, press feature *0, then #. This will display the physical port the phone is connected to. If they are all on port 03xx, or 04xx, etc... then you may have a bad station module.

Wow... that looks interesting. The feedback might be coming in through those weird looking bridge clips. I can't tell what they are, but maybe they are amplifiing the signal.

They're sneak current protectors- fuses to protect your equipment in case of a surge. Usually I install them on POTS lines, and Pots lines only. Getting a surge from a properly run station cable is pretty rare.

I'd look for a common source of trouble on station ports before I'd suspect them, though.

XJSWX: That was not an image directly from my setup- just one I found that looked very similar.

Rik: a Feature *0 displays "button inquiry" pressing # does nothing in this mode.

Any other way of determining which station they are connected to?

Button Inquiry: Ftr*0, touch any button and in display will be it's function. Touch Intercom to get Name and DN, press # for Port number.

Adversity is Opportunity

Have you checked the system test logs. Could be a software issue, you have a MICS r1t1.

Yeah- I've checked the test logs. I've broken down and hired a tech to come out and look at it. (they seemed surprised with the knowledge I had already collected)

They are going to start swapping out the possibly dead pieces to do some testing (/ make our offices angry).

Should I let them haul off my possibly semi-valuable hardware once they repair everything or keep it around just in-case I need extra parts?

Do you know if was happening to everyone? The reason I ask is if it is phones on a station mod then it could be nothing more than the fiber cable itself. I've had them go bad or come loose in the past and the mod would reset itself intermittently throughout the week.

It has been happening to almost everyone I've spoken to who uses the phones. I've checked the fiber cable I could see (coming out of the front of the box going into an auxiliary box) sadly- my eyes can't see the data in the light...maybe one day.

Ah yes but with the lights out do you see the light comming though the plastic............if so you need to replace that fiber cable......it's getting old...

I've yet to try this- I would need a large dark cloth to try this out.

I've noticed the room has also been getting very warm.

Ok - kinda long story, but this will explain. I'll tell you this that I ran into. If you are using 4 conductor cables for your phones, the phone can get other signals on the second pair. If it doesn't get what it likes (raw 24VDC only) on that outer pair, it will reset everytime you ring into it or try to go off-hook. I found this out because I am temporary-ing some of my phones in my house for a while until I do the permanent wiring and sharing the pairs in the existing 4 conductor cable with splices. I was using one wire for two stations without modifying any wiring. One jack had both r/g and y/b and then the other jack off of that wire had only y/b. I put by mistake a 4 conductor to the jack with all 4 conductors, and whenever I took it off hook, it would reset. Turns out it was trying to pull signals from both ports.

Hope this helps.

John Panzer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back