Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norstar RAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmitchell

Programmer
Feb 7, 2002
GB
When we purchased our C6/16 Meridian system, it came with a Remote Access Device. I think it's a NT8B80. My question is, What is this used for and should I connect it to our system. If it is a useful device, do I need something eles for it. It has a standard 25 pin D conector on it that, if I'm correct, connects to a computer.

Any information would be helpfull. Thanks.

RAD ( Remote Access Device ) to program the system from outside of the office. The RAD is good if your always making changes , however if your system is up and running with no changes needed I would leave it off. Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

Thank's jeter. But if I want to use it, I wouldn't know how to. Is there information available on this unit and what is required to make it functional?

look at the previous post on the RAD. this should help you. Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

Rmitchell asks: ...it came with a Remote Access Device.My question is, What is this used for and should I connect it to our system?

The RAD is used to do Remote Administration to your system programming. It is very useful if you have a vendor that you call on to make programming changes to your system. Any programming that can be done through the telephone set, can be performed remotely with the use of the Remote Access Device. (with the exception of Voice Mail Greetings and Voice Mail Feature Button)

Rmitchell asks: If it is a useful device, do I need something eles for it.

Yes. You will need a software package called Norstar Remote Utilities. It is a very useful program that allows you to program using a Graphical User Interface that looks like a Norstar phone. It also has a "windows explorer" type interface for the later versions of Norstar Software. Most of your typical Norstar interconnects carry this product. If you have trouble finding it, let me know. I may be able to help.
Dave McCall
Norstarpro

The old RAD is a pain to use. The new Fast Rad is wonderfull. Get rid of the Rad and get a Fast Rad. If you need a Rad. You can't do a disk back up on a 6/16 anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back