Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NORSTAR MICS SOFTWARE INCOMPATIBILITY PROBLEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveybc

Technical User
May 29, 2002
CA
I have a Norstar Modular ICS that was running with 2.0 software. For testing purposes, I installed 4.1 software cartridge. Then I reinstalled the 2.0 software cartridge back into the system and now it won't work. All the lights just keep flashing. Will it no longer accept the 2.0 software or is there some way to reset the system. I need the 2.0 software to work again on the ksu. Thanks, Dave :)

Looks like I solved my own problem....took the MICS apart, found the capacitor on the motherboard and shorted the pins on the backside of the board. The original 2.0 software cartridge works again.

An easier way to "downgrade" is to power down the unit while the 4.1 was installed, power up and perform a "startup". When it says "reset memory" change the software cartridge and proceed by pressing YES.
DueE

Which cap did you short out? I have a MICS that forgets itself if power fails, and I think all it needs is a new cap or battery, if I knew what to change. Tnx. hd

hdingman,
Depending on the system you have. I am not sure on the MICS/CICS but the 8X24 the software drops due to either a bad set of caps on the RAM cartridge or the motherboard circuit that feeds these two caps. (I've had to replace several of the RAM Cartridges in the last few months) JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

I have the same problem with my system, it keeps flashing. Which capacitor did you shorted on the backside of the board?

Are you sure it won't damage the system?

Stephan :)

If you are downgrading then do a startup with the higher software and then unplug KSU while its configuring then put in lower software and boot up as norm.
There are 2 caps on the NVRAM cartridge, you can find them in some special electronic stores, requires soldering.
spoclogo2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back