Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norstar Compact Plus Config

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProvRobbie

Technical User
Feb 21, 2002
GB
I have just moved into a building with a Norstar system installed.

Compact plus, 8x24 I think

Unfortunately, the owners of the building have lost the system config and admin passwords.

Is there any way to override the existing(not known) passwords, or to restore system default passwords?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Robert Murphy

:)

THE ONLY WAY I KNOW OF RETURNING IT TO DEFAULT 266344 IS TO CALL ITAS

Cycle the power.
F**STARTUP
pswd: CONFIG
reset data: y

you'll have to reprogam entire system but heck, ya doesn't have to call Nortel.

Thanks,

266344 is spot on!

Looks like I won't have to use the Power Cycle option!

Cheers

I have the same problem, but when I try F**STARTUP, I get "Access Denied". I also get "Access Denied" for F**CONFIG, F**TIME, and F**USER (I've tried this from all 16 set positions.)
I have Norstar software for another system which I think I could use with the CICS, and there's a 6-pin RJ12 port on the CICS that's marked "10101" (built-in RAD?), but I don't have a pinout for it. If anyone has that info, I'd sure appreciate it.

Its not a RAD -the port you describe is on all CIC's, but has no use at this time. You can however, purchase an external RAD and software, and change your password with it.

If the KSU has an expansion cartridge, simply power the KSU down, remove the cartridge and power up. This will of course wipe out all programmed data including installer passwords. Should the KSU not have an expansion cartridge, add one and repeat the previously listed instructions. Another method is to boot the KSU with an older version of software forcing it to do a cold restart (WARNING: You loose all customer programming!!). All programming defaults so your Install password will be config. There is one other drastic measure that will force the switch to do a cold restart, and that is to short the battery on the motherboard. Simply open up the plastic case, find the battery, bridge the battery posts with a screwdriver head, plug it in, and the switch forgets its ever had any software installed. This is NOT, I repeat NOT, supported by Nortel, and will void any

I finally figured out that I couldn't get into programming mode on the M7210 sets that are attached to the system. I borrowed an M7324 from another system and was able to get into programming with that set.
This gives me enough to get it going. It's similar enough to the 0x32 system I'm already familiar with that I can do the basics. Our equipment vendor says he can sell us manuals for the system, which will help a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back