Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norstar CICS 1.0 Upgrade 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssheltoncmi

IS-IT--Management
Jun 13, 2012
We currently have a fairly old system (not sure how old, but I know at it's old); it is a Nortel Norstar CICS 1.0 system. My question is, is it upgrade-able? We recently purchased a replacement system from a local vendor that just didn't fit our needs (Talkswitch 488vs) and went back to our old Nortel system. Is there any avenue to perform an upgrade and if so, what are the benefits? New features? More extensions? Etc?

If we can, is it difficult to do or something simple? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Compact ICS with a CI trunk. CallPilot 100.

After I had posted, I realized that I didn't know for sure if our system was a 1.0 or not. Is there any easy well to verify what software we have on it?

Thanks for all of the help! I know this is somewhat off subject, but we do have CallPilot and it is accessible via web-browser at an internal IP address (192.168.1.250). Is the phone system itself accessible? Or does it have the ability to be? It's not on our network right now, but I'm new to Nortel systems and wasn't certain that our system could be tied into our network and accessed via a web browser. Thanks!

Suggest you upgrade to 7.1 on CICS and latest build of 3.1 on Callpilot
Those are the last releases.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

curlycord: What are the advantages of upgrading to 7. 1 from 4.0? And upgrading CallPilot to 3.1?

I just need to be able to justify doing so.

Assuming you are going from CICS 4.1 to 7.1, here are the most significant features:
[ul]
[li]Alpha tagging[/li]
[li]CLID when busy[/li]
[li]Distinctive ring for lines and hunt groups[/li]
[li]Full support for the T7316, T7316E and KIM[/li]
[li]Silent monitoring for hunt groups[/li]
[li]System Wide Call Appearance (SWCA)[/li]
[/ul]

The idea is so you are then supported by your vendor and/or manufacturer.
If you call for support the first question might be "is your software current?".
Will also help with any compatibility issues should they arise.
Discontinues product so get it while you can.

The Callpilot requires the vendor to use their upgrade card to write to your software card, no purchase of software required however you can you can purchase a new 3.1 card if you prefer but may not have the latest build.

You say you have 4.0 , here is little more as well...

• Call forwarding (external)
• Hospitality Services feature (for International users)
• Outgoing Name and Number blocking (ONN)
• ISDN S-loop call origination using OLI digits
• Fax switch detection feature available

6.0/6.1
• The enhanced Call log
• The second dial tone table

CICS - Includes new daylight savings times was another in 7.1

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Why are you looking to upgrade? What do you want that this system does not do? Just curious because I've had people upgrade in the past that really had no need for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back