Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Noise Burst on Incoming Calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMS10Tech

Technical User
Aug 4, 2009
US
Installed my first IP500 5.0.8 more than a month ago in our office.

On random incoming calls there is a burst of static for about 1 second as soon as the receiver is lifted, then everything is normal. No pattern to this, might happen 10 times in a day, then nothing the next few days. Happens on both analog and PRI lines. Never on an outgoing call. All stations are 5420's

A neighboring tech said one of his customers (4.2.X) has told him the same thing.

I am trying to get a capture in Monitor, but so far it hasn't happenned yet.

Anybody else have this?

System grounded ?
I personally never ever had it

ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

Are these on expansion modules by any chance? Were the expansion modules upgraded via the 3.2.999 loader? Remembering that modules show two higher so they actually come with a 2. someting release loaded normally :)

ACS - IP Office Implement

"What the Crocodile Hat....was that?

Perhaps a bad provider or bad line?

Yeah, I've never heard of this, perhaps a loud DTMF squeal but that isn't limited to Incoming calls, I have seen this with a dodgy channel on a PRI line but again that was while dialling out not on Incoming but I imagine it's is possible, are you sure this also happens on the analogue lines ?

I think not, as we are the provider, a small independant telco.

I have checked the obvious things, tried to isolate events. Interesting that the other tech from another company that installed a system 6 months ago is having the same problem, different providers. It is very random.

Perhaps the cabling running next to big powerlines ?

What cabling is this on? Cat5? Also was he using the same handsets? Since I have been on this forum I have not heard of this fault, some similiar but not this particular one and across two releases. this is something local I think as oppose to the software :)

Remove the system from the lines and just make internal calls. does it still happen? If not it is related to the lines somehow even if it's not your fault :)

Cabling is all cat3, no run longer than 150', separated from power cables that are all in metallic conduit. All are using their handset, no headsets involved.

The noise burst (I have only heard it once) was loud enough to be heard from the handset easily at a distance of 5 feet. Reminded me of data, more like a dialup 56K modem connected. And no, there aren't any of those in the system.

I have over 600 lines, PRI and analog connected to the very same switch that serves this system and nobody has reported this problem.

I have asked everyone in the office to record the details of the call when this happens. It could be a long distance carrier that is routing calls via a less than optimal network.

That is the best approach with intermittant faults, I would wager you will find this does not happen on internal calls at all, it could well be a particular customer/exchange with this issue and you a merely experiancing the other end of the fault :)

Hi, I'm getting a similar problem.

Our equipment is Avaya IP500 office with Avaya 5410 phones.

We are experiencing the odd issue where when a handset is picked up, all that can be heard is a constant howl.

Sometimes it clears itself after 30 minutes or so and sometimes it is necessary to re-boot the system.

The issue is not system wide but just occurs on individual handsets once in a while.

torchie. yours is different and well known, but not yet fixed. when it happens to a phone, try dialling *00. Let me know if it works.

See what my brain does when it's not thinking about phones.

DMS10tech
DMS10tech said:
I have over 600 lines, PRI and analog connected to the very same switch that serves this system and nobody has reported this problem.
How many PRI's and analog lines do you have on that IPO or is it a SCN with several points of entry? Could it be that you have the problem on the analog ones and it is the caller ID burst? check if the lines are set to caller ID to delay the incoming calls until the info is passed on. Just an idea.

torchie
try re-upgrading the DS30 modules via 3.2.999 and then up to your release, it has helped some people

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

I don't suffer from insanity
I enjoy every moment of it :)

FYI, I re-checked the ground on the IP500, added wall rack chassis ground, no reported incidents, but am wary as the problem would not surface for several days in a row.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back