Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No ringing on analog lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaimeortega

IS-IT--Management
Feb 6, 2004
US
Hello everybody...

This is probably a stupid question so let me send the "I've searched the forum but I haven't been able to find help" disclaimer :)

Anyway, we have some analog ports on our switch that don't seem to have any ringing associated with it. If I put a modem on the line, the modem never picks up. If I put a phone, I don't hear any ringing. Obviously, the modem doesn't pick up 'cause there is no ringing... I know the line is active since I can make calls from the phone (and answer it when I call in albeit, with no ringing).

My thinking is that it might be some configuration issue but since most of the work I do on the switch if from an instruction sheet, I don’t know where to look.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Cheers
-Jaime Ortega

analog cards have a ring generator card on the shelf they are plugged into. Are all the phones that don't ring on the same range of tn's on the same shelf. If so your ring generator card may be down. I would first check to see if all these tn's are on the same shelf and if so check the ring generator card.

Thanks for the quick replies!

I just went and checked and I think all the lines are on the first shelf.
This is what I did.

LD 81
REQ: LST
CUST: 0
DATE:
Page:
DES:
FEAT: DTN

The lines in question are all sequential and have the following output

5237 12 0 02 00 OPEN
5274 12 0 02 15 OPEN

I went into LD 20 and checked on those numbers and I get this

TYPE: 500
5237 12 0 02 00 MARP DES OPEN

How do I go from here? Is there something I can check to see if ringing is enabled?

Thanks again
-JO

you need to check the actual cabinet and see if there's a ring generator card in there. It will be on the left side. Loop 12, shelf 0 is where you need to look. i just had the exact same situation and sure enough, no ring generator card in the cabinet.

We have 2 cabinets with 3 shelves each.
To the left on the top left shelf there is one double wide card with a green light that has a “Rng Gen AC” label on it. Is this the one?
The right cabinet does not have this card. It has what looks like a filler.

My digital phone, which I’m pretty sure is on the top left cabinet, has a TN of 20 0 10 02.

How can I tell where shelf 0 loop 12 is?

-JO

Aha..!

If the labels on cover doors are correct, then Shelf 0 loop 12 is the right top cabinet. The one that does not have one of those "Rng Gen" cards. Coniglio might have nailed this problem on the head on the first try. I just need to verify that this is so...

-JO

actually, Nortellian was the one who nailed it on the head. Nortellian gets the credit on this one.

On the AC system you have to power down the shelf to put in the Ring Generator. Someone correct me if I'm wrong it's been a while since I've worked with an AC system.

You dont have to power down the shelf to install an AC ring generator. There is two circuit breaker on the left side of the shelf and the bottom breaker is for the ring generator only. Just turn that breaker off and plug the ring gen in and turn the circuit breaker back on and it should come up.

As far as finding out what shelf 12 0 is, an alternate way it to look at the controller and find what the controller number is and go to LD 97 and prt xpe and it will give you the shelf and loop of the controller. Or you could just trace the NT8D04 (Superloop card) associated with SL 12 cable and see where it goes. Depends on how you want to do it.

good job. your right, only power down the card, bottom switch on the self. if you can't find a shelf, ld 97, prt xpe return,return...you'll see a list of number, then your self numbers, 12 20, the number on the left is the number that will be flashing in your controller card on that self. ie if i'm looking for loop 152, ld 97 shows xpe 33, now get a label gun....johnP

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Just and update on this one...

We got a new ring generator card, installed it and we now have ringing in our analog lines.

Thanks everybody!!!

-JO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back