Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No results from this query!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarla

Programmer
Jan 2, 2001
FI
Hi!
I´ve just added "full text search" to our SQL Server 2000 -system. But I don´t know what is wrong with it because it don´t find any records with "Contains" -value. Here is one example query:

SELECT ID, asset_name, folder_name FROM picturedatabase WHERE Contains(categories, 'woman OR car')

I´ve also tried simple
SELECT ID, asset_name, folder_name FROM picturedatabase WHERE Contains(categories, 'cat') but with no results. Only "0 pictures found". I know that there are words "woman" and "car" :) I have also option to search with picturename in the same search and it works great. In the end of the search is line "OR asset_name LIKE 'blaablaa%'"
That line gives results normally. Search is also very fast, it takes only 1,5 seconds to search from 160.000 rows.
But what is wrong with that "Contains" -search. "Categories" -fieldtype is nvarchar(1000).

SELECT ID, asset_name, folder_name FROM picturedatabase WHERE Contains(categories, 'woman') OR Contains(categories, 'car')

Known is handfull, Unknown is worldfull

No. Like I wrote, even this kind of search don´t find any records:
SELECT ID, asset_name, folder_name FROM picturedatabase WHERE Contains(categories, 'cat')

sounds stupid but:
SELECT ID, asset_name, folder_name FROM picturedatabase WHERE Contains(categories, '%cat%')

Known is handfull, Unknown is worldfull

I see your problem now. Here is what the SQL Server Help has . . .

USE Northwind
GO
SELECT ProductName
FROM Products
WHERE CONTAINS(ProductName, ' "sasquatch ale" OR "steeleye stout" ')
GO

Notice, you are missing the "" around your search criteria. Try this out, should work!

Rocco

Aarrrgh!
Still no results. I just tested some different queries. This works (but of course it´s DAMN slow):
SELECT ID, asset_name, folder_name from picturedatabase
WHERE categories like '%cat%'
(that gives 15026 records)

But this don´t work:
SELECT ID, asset_name, folder_name from picturedatabase
WHERE contains(categories, ' "cat" ')
(0 records found...)

I´ve tried with "" and without them...This is driving me grazy. Before I updated the SQL Server with newest service pack, everything worked. Well, at the same time I started from the "clean table" and I imported everything from Access -database again (our previous search system was Access -database). But I did everything like I did before new service pack and my contains -search was ok then.

Hi again!
Now it works! I changed the "nvarchar" to "varchar" and after that the "CONTAINS" -search worked normally... But I really didn´t know that "nvarchar" don´t work as good with "CONTAINS" -search than "varchar"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back