Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No response from Win7 install DVD 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odyssey

Technical User
Dec 16, 2001
US
New build:
--------------
CPU: AMD Quad core Phenom II X4920
mobo: MSI 785GTM-E45
HDD: Seagate SATA 1T ST310000520AS

BIOS is set to boot first from SATA DVD reader/writer.

Computer powers up perfectly, shows splash screen, goes into BIOS control with depress of <del> key, etc

However, the installation routine will not start from either of my 64 bit Windows 7 install DVD's. Install routine will start from any 32 bit (Linux, windoze, etc) OS install CD, just not a 64 bit windows install DVD.

Furthermore, I have tried another SATA DVD, as well as a pata DVD reader/writer. Still no cigar

When I attempt to boot into the installation, the spash screen comes up, then goes, and there is a little "hyphen" cursor blinking (ad-infinitum) at the left edge of the screen. Nothing further.

I have used the same install DVD to install Win 7 on another (Intel in this case) new computer once before. It worked perfectly, the DVD has been in its sleeve ever since, and there is almost no possibility that it is damaged.

I am sure that the Phenom II is a 64 bit processor. What is going on here? Do I need to set some system jumper or what?

TIA

if the install DVD is a burned media, then you will need to burn a new copyat the SLOWEST speed possible...

the used drives just cant read the DVD, that is indicated by the blinking cursor at the top... and it does not matter for the BIOS routine if the install media is 64 bit or 32 bit, it fetches the boot sector (if readable) and that takes over thereafter...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Burned two copies at slowest speed. One is a straight copy, one is a copy of the image. Neither work.

This computer is for a non profit and the DVD's were provided under the MS non-profit support program. I also have a pair of XP Pro CD's, one 64 bit, the other 32 (also from the non-profit support program). Neither will boot.

I do have a normal XP Pro 32 bit SP3 CD and it will boot, as will all of my recovery disks, linux, etc.

I am baffled. There must be some explanation other than the disks being bad. They aren't. It's just that this system will not read them. Any theories?

This definitely is a strange case!!!

ok, enter the BIOS setup, there navigate to "Load Fail-safe Defaults", then exit and save...

reenter the BIOS, navigate to "Integrated Peripherals", there navigate to "On-Chip ATA Devices", press ENTER, make sure the first two menu items are set to ENABLE, and the THIRD "RAID MODE" is set to IDE, once that is done hit F10 (Exit and SAVE)...

retry to install...

also it may be necessary to upgrade the BIOS to the latest version...

Ben

Ben, Thanks for the step by step guidance which I have implemented, but no cigar. So I stepped through it again. Still no cigar.

Same message when I click on Setup.

Also, I have now installed XP Pro (32bit)

"My Computer" sees the DVD drive and when I right click and press Open, it shows lists the folders and files. But when I click on setup, it gives the error message:

D:\Setup.exe is not a valid Win32 application.

So the DVD drive definitely works, at least to the extent of showing files and folders.

Given that the DVD drive does work and XP has been installed on the HDD, which now boots perfectly, I do not think that it is a cable issue.

The PSU is only 400W, so it might be a bit thin for a quad core, but given that it has supported the install of XP Pro 32 bit and boots properly, I don't think this is what is stopping the 64 bit install.

I think it either has to be a mobo jumper issue, a BIOS issue, or a driver issue preventing the 64 bit DVD from booting/installing. This doesn't explain it's inability to install any of the non-profit O/S's including 32 bit CD's

correct... it does not explain the inability to install those OS's, but rather adds to the mystery....

yes, the 400w PSU is probably bottom margin to get it to run... change it out ASAP with at least a 500W...

now are you getting that error message with the CD or with the DVD?

if it was the DVD with a 64bit Windows, then yes you would get that message, as the 32bit OS does not know what to do with that 64bit software...

some drives do have, or develop over time, problems with reading DVD's, but seeing that you already tried to use other drives, makes me think this is not the case here...

I am also assuming that you are burning the OS's correctly, e.g. in using an image burner such as CDburnerXP...

when you boot up with the 64bit OS in the drive, does it attempt to read the DVD? (when placing media into a DVD ROM, it attempts to sync the media first, by spinning up and the light indicator in front will tell you it is working, with hard to read media it will take longer to sync)...

now only thing left would be to attempt a different media (DVD media from another manufacturer) to see if that may be the problem...

now only other solution would be to install Windows 7 64bit through the use of a USB pendrive/harddrive...

below is an easy to follow guide as to How-To-Do:

How To Create Bootable Windows 7 USB To Install Windows 7 From USB Flash Drive (Using Windows 7 DVD/USB Tool)

Ben

Does anyone know if the Windows7-USB-DVD-tool.exe would make any bootable ISO into a bootable USB?

Bad downloads and bad burns seem to be the commonest issues with Windows 7. One way to check the download is to see if it will start to install in a virtual machine. To avoid license issues don't allow that virtual machine any network access and destroy it after the test. If that works then the problem is the burn, not the iso file.

[navy]When I married "Miss Right" I didn't realise her first name was 'always'. LOL[/navy]

Here is an update. I tried upgrading the (commercial CD) XP Pro 32 bit install, using the Non Profit 32 bit XP Pro SP2, and was able to do that. Afterwards I still get the same results with the 64 bit DVD if I click on Setup as earlier mentioned, but if I just click on the D: drive (the DVD) in My Computer, I get the message:

"The installation disk isn't compatible with your version of Windows. To upgrade, you need the correct installation disk. For more information, check your computer system's information. To install a new version of Windows, restart (reboot) your computer using the installation disk, and then select Custom (advanced.)"

I just love the inimitable Windows error messages, in particular:

"....check your computer system's information". Yeah, and check exactly where for what?

Anyway, the important thing so far is that I was able to "upgrade" using the 32 bit Non Profit XP Pro CD, so at least we know that the drive will install one of the NP CD's, and read the NP DVD's, even if it will not take any action with the latter. Does this help?

I am unfamiliar with the USB installs and I think it is going to be problematic in any case because the Non Profit CD's and DVD's use a restricted set of keys that will not work with normal Windoze install disks. (Or can I do this with the NP install DVD?

It seems to me that I somehow have to find drivers that will enable this system to operate the 64 bit DVD's. Am I looking at a BIOS update, otherwise how to implement the updated drivers?

You can't "upgrade" from 32 to 64 bit! It's a full re-install or nothing.

[navy]When I married "Miss Right" I didn't realise her first name was 'always'. LOL[/navy]

The only other suggestions I can think of to check:

- Is there a video card installed in the PCI-E x16 slot? If so, pull it and just use the integrated ATI HD 4200 GPU.

- Do you have more than one hard drive and/or using a RAID configuration? If so, get it down to one drive in a non-RAID setup just to test.

- Go ahead and try booting from the Win7 64-bit DVD on another computer. You don't have to run anything. We just want to see if it will make it to the setup screen.

- Last but not least, after making sure the BIOS is the latest revision available, reset it to the default settings. Make sure the DVD-ROM is still the 1st boot device and try again.

I realize these are all shots in the dark, but you never know...

Carl

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test
a man's character, give him power.
" - Abraham Lincoln
[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Using onboard video now, no cards in any slots.

Only one HDD and I cannot find any RAID option in BIOS

Win 7 64 bit boots on my 64 bit Intel computer just fine.

BIOS is set to "Load Fail Safe Defaults"

What now, thanks?

Got me. I'm out of ideas. It seems like you've covered all your bases. I would continue removing as many components from the equation as you can including other USB devices, PCI cards, etc., that aren't needed during setup and can be installed later (if there's anything left to remove).

Whatever the problem turns out to be, it's not a common one for sure. Please keep us posted if you are able to make any progress. Hopefully someone else can throw out other useful suggestions too. Good luck!

Carl

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test
a man's character, give him power.
" - Abraham Lincoln
[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Odyssey (aptly named in lieu of what is going on),

"It seems to me that I somehow have to find drivers that will enable this system to operate the 64 bit DVD's"

>> No, no drivers necessary...

"am unfamiliar with the USB installs and I think it is going to be problematic"

>> not problematic, just follow the link above...

"(Or can I do this with the NP install DVD?"

>> Yes, it will work with them... there is only slight difference, if I am correct, there is only a txt file with a different code written into it...

"Am I looking at a BIOS update"

>> Probably... as mentioned in one of my posts and Cdogg's...

also make sure that the CCSWITCH1 settings are at the DEFAULT settings (both switches to the ON position), this handles overclocking (see the manual page 2.18)

Ben

Ben, Many thanks for your guidance. I must go out of town for a few days, but will get onto this as soon as I return.

I don't recall reading anything about the memory installed. In the past I had a similar problem with a 32 bit install and it turned out to be faulty memory. Changed that, install went fine.

Just a thought.

David.

Ben, for a modest consideration....... ;<)

David, ran memtest which checked out OK.

Trip called off. Have decided that I have spent enough of yours and my time on this. The use of the computer will not be greatly compromised by running XP, so I am just going to install XP Pro and leave it at that. We can't win them all.

Many thanks for all the good suggestions and guidance.

There's also the 32-bit version of Windows 7 if that's an option.

cdogg, Thanks for that.

I have now ordered an upgrade to Win 7 disk, so this may not be over yet. Will let you know how I get on. In the meantime, I will start a new post shortly dealing with this computer's refusal to see the lan or the internet unless I can crack it before I get it written up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back