Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No response from Win7 install DVD 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odyssey

Technical User
Dec 16, 2001
US
New build:
--------------
CPU: AMD Quad core Phenom II X4920
mobo: MSI 785GTM-E45
HDD: Seagate SATA 1T ST310000520AS

BIOS is set to boot first from SATA DVD reader/writer.

Computer powers up perfectly, shows splash screen, goes into BIOS control with depress of <del> key, etc

However, the installation routine will not start from either of my 64 bit Windows 7 install DVD's. Install routine will start from any 32 bit (Linux, windoze, etc) OS install CD, just not a 64 bit windows install DVD.

Furthermore, I have tried another SATA DVD, as well as a pata DVD reader/writer. Still no cigar

When I attempt to boot into the installation, the spash screen comes up, then goes, and there is a little "hyphen" cursor blinking (ad-infinitum) at the left edge of the screen. Nothing further.

I have used the same install DVD to install Win 7 on another (Intel in this case) new computer once before. It worked perfectly, the DVD has been in its sleeve ever since, and there is almost no possibility that it is damaged.

I am sure that the Phenom II is a 64 bit processor. What is going on here? Do I need to set some system jumper or what?

TIA

if this is the same mainboard, you may have some bad juju going on, perhaps an underlying hardware fault that prevents W7 from installing...

W7 is a bit more finicky as to the hardware than XP is, the same way XP was more finicky than 98SE, I remember a mainboard that would not let XP install but would run fine with 98SE...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back