Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No display on older phones after new IP500 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill211

Technical User
Jun 9, 2008
US
We called our business partner and had them bring a new (probably old) IP500

The new one mostly works, however...

The new problem is:
Our 4406 phones, that are plugged into the IP 400 Digital Station do not show a display.
The display just shows black boxes.
No "Bob" ext: 555
The phones do work, they let us make and receive calls.

The 5410 (and all phones) that are plugged into the IP 500 work.

Monitor shows the IP 400 Digital Station plugged in.

Why would the IP400 Digital station not work correctly?
(phones plugged into it don't work correctly)
It sort of works, can make and receive calls.
Only the display doesn't work.

IP 500 5.0 (18)

Thank you!
Bill

IP 400 Digital Station expansion unit version is: 10.1(52)

IP 500 v1 5.0(18)

Are those compatible? and or recent versions?

So, the digital expansion is at version 8.1 and the IP500V1 is at version 5. There is lies the problem. They didn't upgrade the 500 or downgrade the digital module to match.

It appears your digital station modules run a higher software than your IPO itself. Modules software belongs to 8.1(52) and suggests your old IPO was running that too.

Did they take the time to properly install the 'new' box and get it to the software release yours was at? If it's a 500v1 you have to do that manually. V2 will auto upgrade.

The expansions should be 7.0(18) they basically show 2 higher than the system when correct :)

Yes, that was it.
The BP upgraded the IP500 to 8.1(52) and that fixed it.

What happened, was:
The staff at the BP who set this up last night, didn't know the version numbers. They either set it up at 5, or didn't check existing version. Today he said he thought 5 was the newest it could accept.

When I called them back today, they have other techs who know these details and knew it was an old version and the newer version would work.
We updated and it solved it.

Thank you very much to HairlessMonkey, Telecomboy, PeterK, amriddle

For people who occasionally say, "Check with your BP," just so you know; this happens. Sometimes the BP doesn't know (or a tech there doesn't know) and we get better answers from you experts on here.

Muchas Gracias!
Bill

Bill, I get what you say but don't forget: we're not only experts (thsnks btw) but most of us ARE BP's too :)

Personally it annoys the crap out of me (excuse my French) that there are BP's out there claiming to be Avaya certified but really make a mess. It not only makes us and the product look bad, it also diminishes customer experience. You won't believe how many times I've heard an IPO user/owner talk bad about his product, ready to swap it for some kind of crappy hosted solution because IPO was too limited for his needs. Then I started reprogramming his system and he felt like he was using a completely different system. All I did was use the features at my disposal in the product.

Although that puts me on a high initially (hey, you try NOT to smile), it bothers me that so many BP's deliver this product absolutely shitty.

It just saddens me that there are BP's out there that just go for the quick win and money and don't put in the time and effort :(

I agree with Peter (it is all in the name :) )
But sometimes it is also because the customer demands things and does not want to listen to the tech.
But anyways, you have solved the problem by hanging on :)

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Very well stated!NLPeterK

acss sme acis sme acss cm 5.2.1 acss cm and cmm acss aura messaging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back