Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No device group available

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricsonJ

Programmer
Mar 3, 2002
US
The tape driver I use is a Dell PV-122T. It works well with ARCserve for Win2k, but when I use ARCserve v9.0 to backup, it tells me "No device group available", anyone knows why?

Thanks a lot.

The tape engine seems work well. I can inventory, mount, format, erase the tapes normally.

Check the destination tab under your backup job and make sure the correct group is selected.

I found that when I upgraded, somehow another group was added to the list and chosen as the default. The jobs bombed because there was not a tape drive associated with this new group. I deleted the new group that was created, reselected the one I had initially created and my problem was solved.

Hope this helps..

The group seems well. I deleted the Tape group and create, assign it again, but, it still does not work.
BTW, I have created a File System Device, it works well, and I can use TYPECOPY to copy the files from FSD to tape. Only the BACKUP doesnot work. :(

EricsonJ,
Don't rely on FSD it is dangerous when Disaster strike since you don't have offsite backup.

Thanks a lot for your advice. The tape driver I use is DELL PV122T, it has the problem I mentioned in this thread. I also donot think FSD is reliable, so I plan to use TAPECOPY to copy all the backup files in FSD to tape, then, when I want to use it, copy it to the FSD to restore, do you think this work?
Thanks a lot.

Yes it should works tapecopy can be used to copy from FSD to tape drive and vice versa.

Have you tried a test job submitted as run now? If that works, it could be that the group name in the job script is not the same as what has been created. Try modifying the job and re-select the group in the destination tab.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

I can only select the source files to backup , when I select the destination, ARCserve told me "No device group available", that means I cannot begin backup at all.

From what I remember with working with Arcserve, is that Arcserve likes to use the Arcserve tape driver not the Dell tape driver. As a matter of fact, we had to disble the tape drive that was installed and reinstall it using the Arcserve Driver. In our Device Manager under Tape Drives, we have the tape drive disabled. You should try contacting Arcserve first then Dell. We had the same problem and this was the cause of it.

Call or Email Arcserve or Dell, start with Arcserve.

I disabled the Dell tape driver in Windows and use let ARCserve control the tape, unfortunately, I still cannot find the Tape group when I backup :(

1-run device configuration and go to Disable/Enable RSM and unselect it.
2-then when go manager-->Device are you able to see your tape drive listed there.

3-make sure tape drive is assigned to the right group by going to device configuration.

Thank you very much for all your replies.

I have fixed the problem with all your help. The key issue is to disable the tape driver provided by Dell, then, in Device Configure, it will take a long time, not a flash, to assign the tape, which likes the case in ARCserve 2000.

Thanks a lot to you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back