Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No audio when forwarding call over SCN

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmessick

Programmer
Dec 19, 2002
US
I have 5 sites connected with an SCN. They are networked with a Comcast layer-2 Ethernet service. Each site has a simple Cisco 1841 router. I can't seem to find a configuration with direct media path that ensures that all calls have working audio. When i forward calls from one store to another, the phone rings and connects but the audio is dead. The SCN is in a star configuration as per my installer, I also tried adding a line between the two sites in question and it did not correct things. Any ideas how to begin to debug this.

For DMP to work the systems and all handset need to be able to ping each other, i.e their gateways need to be the routers that form the links not the IPO :)

Direct media path is routing.
Audio is UDP. No audio is a firewall router issues.

If it's hub and spoke perhaps the provider hasn't listed all routes, have you tried to ping from remote site to remote site using an address an gateway exactly that a handset uses? DMP is pure routing with the audio and nothing else, if it's not working it's the routing...that's it :)

It sounds like your routers do not allow packets from one leg to the other. I say leg because I am unclear on if you are using VPN between sites. As has been said. If no audio and using DMP, you have a routing issue or at least you have a blocking/not allowed issue. If you turn DMP off, all works? If so why don't you do that and move on?

I've turned DMP off on the entire path, it still does not work. The only router in the system is an older Cisco 1841 routing the local voice & data vlans over the WAN port. Its really pretty dead simple. Could the router possibly be at fault? its really the worlds most boring configuration.

I should add, the problem generally does not occure with extension to extension calls. In this case, I am fighting with a call forwarding from one store to another. Its the IPO routing the call, not the extension.

So extension to extension calls work fine, but the no audio issue is unique to forwarded calls? Or is it that extension to extension calls work intermittently but the call forwarding fails 100% of the time? Do you have Voicemail Pro? If so, what happens if instead of forwarding the call you send it to a voicemail that has a Transfer Action that goes to the desired destination? There is a difference between the way the system handles a forwarded call and a transferred call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back