Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No audio path on norstar phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

TelefonGuy

Vendor
Jun 12, 2007
US
I have a norstar mics 6.1 software that 10 phones have lost their audio path. Still time and date on phones, can make call and ring another phone but no audio on handset or handsfree. Rebooting phones do not work, only way to get them working again is to take another phone, boot it up, and then plug original phone back in. This has worked on all ten phones. I am trying to schedule rebooting whole system. They are on ups and it has been awhile since it has been rebooted. This is happening on 3 7310 phones and seven 7316 sets in the last two weeks. All phones have different revision #'s. One phone was on port 0130, one on 0705 and eight were on module 8. No common equipment or part #'s. Any advise would be helpful. Maybe a reboot will work or it doesn't I may have to reload a backup.

Your system is corrupted because of incorrect use of auto set relocation. The lack of dial tone floats around the system causing problems. Only way to fix this is to cold start and reprogram by hand. Doing a BRU erase and restore will not work unless you have a backup from before the corruption entered the system.

Thank you rheusdens, I think you have hit the nail on head. I was telling this customer how much I did not like auto set relocate, but they use it alot. One more question, if the backup was made and auto set relocate was flagged as yes, I would imagine I would have to unplug all phones, restore system, then plug one phone in at a time. My backup is 5 months old and they have moved alot of phones since then. If auto set relocate was flagged as yes, it will trying to rewrite software to 40 phones all at the same time.

what is an incorrect use of set relocation? The reason I ask is I would love to avoid this happening to me! I know alot of techs dont like set relocation, but I thought it was the way the ports and dns didnt line up.

We have a ton of Norstars and most of the customers use Set Relocation. If used correctly you will not have any problems with it. We teach our customers how to use it. Unplug the phones and plug only 1 phone in at a time. Wait for the phone to come up and then plug in the next. We don't have software corruption because of that. If this feature is not used correctly then yes you will have problems.

SHK Certified (School of Hard Knocks)

the incorrect way
unplug about 20-25 phone
plug in 20-25 at swapped location
wait
Have seen system go back to square and need to be completely reprogrammed

Absolutely! I have gone to locations that unplugged 2 or 3 phones and then plugged them in at the same time. It did not erase the system programming but it sure messed up those individual phones. Use caution when using.

SHK Certified (School of Hard Knocks)

Same here! I had a situation where the voicemail box would not sync up with the extension due to corruption. Additionally if a system crashes and customer has no updated list of port versus DN assignments every single phone will need to be visited to document what the default DN is and what it should be now. Beware of Set Relocation. Buy a punch down tool instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back