Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NIC card headaches..Why? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leon399

Technical User
Apr 17, 2001
US
I knew when I bought Win 2000 Pro that it was possible I would run into some problems and incidents that I didn’t have in WinME. I specifically waited until I bought a new PC to even truly think about buying Win2000. To further insure (or so I thought) that I would have minimal problems, I made sure that all the hardware in this Gateway Essential 933 was on the HCL and that it would work with the proper installation of needed drivers.

For the most part I’ve done okay. The problems I have encountered have been the normal learning curve type of things. The configurations of both hardware and software all look normal and properly set. All is not fine however, somewhere in my NIC card. I’ve encountered a big problem with the card that may actually force me to revert back to ME. Seeing what was spent on 2K this really wouldn’t be what I want to do. Maybe someone can help save me from that drastic and gut wrenching ( J ) move.

The card is a Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter(LNE100TX v4) and on the surface all seems fine. The card registers as active and as working properly with no conflicts. The driver for the card (Downloaded right from Linksys) is the apparent latest one available. The card actually works fine for periods of time. Then, out of nowhere it seems that the card dies out on me with an error as follows: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. The error reports as happening in the file NDIS.SYS. The error also reports that the machine is BEGINNING DUMP OF PHYSICAL MEMORY.

Another problem with the card I have found came when I tried to play Video poker through the Pogo games on NBCI.com. I go through all the steps and it loads the game fine until the very last moment. I see the game screen start to appear and the ** POOF ** gone. The computer goes into full system reboot. I tried the games using a regular dial up connection with the internal 56k modem and the game loaded fine and played fine so I know the problem lies somewhere in this NIC card.

Not sure where I can look to solve this. I’ve looked at a few of the knowledge bases on Microsoft and other places and find that though this error seems ‘popular’ there is no one definitive fix. All I can hope for now is for some kind soul to see this post on one of the forums I will post it to and maybe point me in the right direction. Or maybe it will end up ME here I come again! J TIA.

Acronym Definition
MIRC My Internet Relay Chat
mIRC Mardam-Bey's Internet Relay Chat
MIRC Mediation Information & Resource Center
MIRC Multi-user Internet Relay Chat

Most common would be 'Mardam-Bey's Internet Relay Chat'.

Carl M. Gregory
MC_8 @ #eggdrop && #tcl @ Undernet

i have a netgear fa311 and it seems to crash when I start winmx and only when i run this program. it must have something to do with it to make it crash!!

May I suggest those who have these problems with LNE100TX, no matter what your hardware version is, please go to Linksys web site to download the lne100txv5.zip driver updated on 7/01?

I'm getting the same driver_irql_not_less_or_equal error on a Dimension 4500 w/ XP pro. The errors being caused by a dlink airplus driver (for the dwl-520+) .. anyone else getting this? Dlink keeps updating the drivers, but the problem hasn't been fixed.

I have also struggled with this BSOD
IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL*** Address:fcb6obbe ... -NDIS.SYS

Setup: Win2k(SP3), IE6SP1, National NSC DP83815 MacPhyter onboard NIC. The system hung while clicking a definite WEB-Site Link button.
I was following this thread and noticed that ndis.sys calls dp83815.sys. Then I was to update both, ndis.sys & NIC Driver.

NDIS.SYS is updated by installing the latest SP3.
NSC DP83815 Drivers can be found here (date: 07/25/02):

This solved the Problem!

BTW: The NIC Driver was somewhat tricky to find on their Site. One might be happy to have it :)

best regards
Michael

FINALLY! Found the soultion for the Linksys LNE100TX model 5 card. After days of surfing the internet all I have been finding was people saying to just buy a new card! But forget that, here's a link to a driver that will fix the problem:

ftp://210.65.45.84/nic/an983b/AN983B_WIN_DRV_217.zip

Yes, everytime I was downloading on mIRC my computer would reboot on it's own. But after installing this new driver, it fixed my problem. Not sure what it did but I did notice that it changed the IRQ of my NIC. From 11 which was shared by a boatload of different things to 07.

For further information, go here:
:)

A: Is that not what I already said?
B: Have you even been reading this post section?

A: I don't know, is it?
B: Yes I have, but didn't catch your post about my problem. Only thing I saw was the MTU crap.

Anyways, no need for me to post here anymore. Farewell!

CarlMGregory (TechnicalUser) Oct 1, 2002
A driver fix for Windows 98/ 2000/ ME/ XP's BSOD for the Linksys LNE100TX v5.

States to not use the linksys driver but rather the driver from the mnfg of the chipset (ADMtek).

Read about it, as well as what driver to download here:

Please note this will only work with v5 ... I have yet to find a fix for my v4 *sigh*

------------------------------------------------------------

Anyhow, this also works on v4.x as well (but you must rename the driver file to whatever it asks for, usually asks for an lnetxv5.sys file, trick it). Carl M. Gregory
MC_8 @ #eggdrop && #tcl @ Undernet

Have been having the same problem, Athlon XP1800, K7n420Pro, GF4Ti4200, SBLive Value, Alcatel Speedtouch USB Modem. System spontaneously goes to BSOD during file sharing on Kazaa, takes between 2-30 minutes to occur, no real pattern; message on BSOD reads:
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
ALCANSWN.SYS
Various other text referring to memory dump etc.
Problem started 1 week ago just after installing the SBLive, but was working fine previously for over 6 months with on-board sound, so suspected a conflict between the modem and soundcard. (The modem uses ALCANSWN.sys, updating the driver did not help).
Tried fiddling with IRQs in BIOS with no success, although Graphics, Sound, LAN, Modem all sharing IRQ11.
Found the problem to be with high number of uploads in Kazaa NOT downloads. Disabling file sharing with other users seems to work 100%. Only other solution was to remove the SBLive which also worked 100% even after re-enabling file sharing.
Would suggest either of the above solutions, or possibly manually assigning the IRQs which might work on some mobos.
Good Luck.

CarlMGregory's method worked for me as well.

I was using a LinkSys Version 5 card and having errors when downloading files from mIRC as some of the other users were here as well. I have now been running for several hours since installing the new drivers and have had no problems yet, whereas before it would lock up within 5 minutes.

If you are having the same problem I urge you to try this method, it seems to have worked for a lot of people, do not go out and buy a new card like the early replies in this thread suggest!!!

I found the solution to this headache! It has to do with PCI Bus Steering, which takes care of IRQ assigning and management amoung others things.
I was getting spontaneous reboots, BSOD that said IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL and the driver that was causing the problem was NDIS.sys
You guessed it- the NIC. Everytime the NIC would try to obtain an IP, it would find that it was sharing IRQ 11 with the SCSI Drive and BOOM!: reboot.
After the POST, the PC lists the mainboard serial number. I looked it up, realized I had a intel chipset. I downloaded the Intel chipset driver from the Intel website and voila!! PCI Bus steering was now working the way it should. IRQ 11 was not being shared with the SCSI Drive AND the NIC... each device had it's own IRQ just as it should be. No more spontaneous reboots, or BSODs. Now, why hasn't Microsoft mentioned that Win2K has a problem with Intel chipsets???

is anyone still having issues with this? i have windows 2000 and a netgear fa311/312 network card. like others, when i'm downloading through mIRC my computer will randomly restart. BSOD, DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, refering to ndis.sys. and it usually happens when i'm not there, so it really annoys me.
i don't see why netgear doesn't release a fix like linksys did.
any help would be appreciated.

I just had this problem crop up this week - I'm running a Netgear FA311 and Windows 2000 SP3 - despite what Microsoft claim, SP3 didn't fix this problem totally. If anyone has any more comments, input would be appreciated, as I don't really fancy trying my old Realtek that I pulled out of my computer and have been juggling with SB16s in my lunch breaks...

My Netgear FA311 used cause my computer to freeze up when using certain filesharing programs like WinMX on a primary connection, Bittorrent, or mIRC.
I found that the older driver version 1.3, available on the netgear site, solved the problem.
ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/netgear1/f311v130.exe

I have the same problem and think that it's my cable modem gone bad.I have good signal levels and good tracerts and speed.But it loses sync periodically but without the bluescreen. I've tried different nics in different slots.I've tried different drivers on each of the cards.

I'm getting a new one one on monday so I'll post back so after with my results.I know the thread is old,but still useful.

I should have also mentioned that it's happened before and after a reformat/reinstall of xp (I reformatted yesterday morning);) Thanks for your thoughts though.I'll save the file incase I or someone else needs it later.

I'm going to try to find drivers for the webstar modem to see if I can use usb instead to see what that does.I don't know why it would help but maybe it's worth a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back