Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NIC card headaches..Why? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leon399

Technical User
Apr 17, 2001
US
I knew when I bought Win 2000 Pro that it was possible I would run into some problems and incidents that I didn’t have in WinME. I specifically waited until I bought a new PC to even truly think about buying Win2000. To further insure (or so I thought) that I would have minimal problems, I made sure that all the hardware in this Gateway Essential 933 was on the HCL and that it would work with the proper installation of needed drivers.

For the most part I’ve done okay. The problems I have encountered have been the normal learning curve type of things. The configurations of both hardware and software all look normal and properly set. All is not fine however, somewhere in my NIC card. I’ve encountered a big problem with the card that may actually force me to revert back to ME. Seeing what was spent on 2K this really wouldn’t be what I want to do. Maybe someone can help save me from that drastic and gut wrenching ( J ) move.

The card is a Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter(LNE100TX v4) and on the surface all seems fine. The card registers as active and as working properly with no conflicts. The driver for the card (Downloaded right from Linksys) is the apparent latest one available. The card actually works fine for periods of time. Then, out of nowhere it seems that the card dies out on me with an error as follows: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. The error reports as happening in the file NDIS.SYS. The error also reports that the machine is BEGINNING DUMP OF PHYSICAL MEMORY.

Another problem with the card I have found came when I tried to play Video poker through the Pogo games on NBCI.com. I go through all the steps and it loads the game fine until the very last moment. I see the game screen start to appear and the ** POOF ** gone. The computer goes into full system reboot. I tried the games using a regular dial up connection with the internal 56k modem and the game loaded fine and played fine so I know the problem lies somewhere in this NIC card.

Not sure where I can look to solve this. I’ve looked at a few of the knowledge bases on Microsoft and other places and find that though this error seems ‘popular’ there is no one definitive fix. All I can hope for now is for some kind soul to see this post on one of the forums I will post it to and maybe point me in the right direction. Or maybe it will end up ME here I come again! J TIA.

Very interesting discussions!

I just got a brand new BSOD today on a W2K sp2. This happens every time I run a simple ASP program.

From my experience, computers and parts are not as reliable as it used to be. It may be defective card, defective driver, incompatible configurations, or incorrect versions.

My process is as follows

1, download the latest driver and make sure it is certified for your OS.
2, Move or Change the NIC card. If you are buying a new NIC, make sure it is a different model and make from the original one.
3, IF it still don't work, uninstall the driver, remove the NIC, go into RegEdit and clean up all the references from the old drivers.
4, IF all fail, get a new computer.

I keep getting the same exact BSOD (DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL at NDIS.SYS) everytime I use WinVNC to control another PC on the network, and I assume this started happening since I installed SP3.

I've seen this problem before. I worked on a computer that would give the NDIS.sys error after trying to connect to pogo.com. This computer had a 3com NIC installed and was removed for the incorrect driver installed. A SMC1255TX card was installed causing the error. After finding the driver for the 3com card and reinstalling it the computer worked fine. I beleive removing all instances of the driver out of the registry and reinstalling the driver probably would work.

hi everybody, after reading all of these problems with nics etc not one of you had a 3com modem and a 3com card ---- funny eh !!!!!!! ---- buy the best ,have the best!!!

Ditto on the "Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal" problem when trying to use D-Link DWL-650 on a Win2kPro Thinkpad. Funny thing is, though, what all happens....

Per instructions, install the drivers from the CD, restart the machine and insert the card. Next, go through the device recognition & do the h/w install. NIC works and, if ejected, can be re-inserted without a problem. That, however, is where the joy ends. Any attempt to restart or do a power off/on (folowing normal Win termination) results in a BSOD and dump once the icons and background are painted.

Oh joy, I've finally found some people with my problem. I too am getting the evil BSOD while downloading from mirc.

I've done quite a lot of trouble shooting to try and fix it (different MB, VC, SC, Memory, HDs, BIOS settings, etc.). Just about the only thing I didn't try yet is a different NIC. Two reason why are:
1. I only have one NIC.
2. I never really thought it could be my network card since it ONLY happens when downloading off mirc (never any problems while downloading off IE, or playing games, or surfing the net, etc.), and ONLY at my max bandwidth.

After reading all of the above posts I see at least a couple with the EXACT same problem. There's also quite a few others that sound very similar. Tomorrow I'm gonna pick up an older NIC from a friend's place and test that. I'm also gonna try moving the NIC to each of the PCI slots.

Forgot my system setup..

Currently running:

Athlon T-bird 900
Epox 8K7A
512MB Cruical 2100 DDR
Windows XP Pro
Linksys LNETX100 V4 NIC
Audigy X-Gamer
Radeon 32 DDR
Plextor 40x12x40
2 Maxtor 80G ATA133
1 Maxtor 45G ATA100
----

Also tried:

ABit KT7A-Raid
SB Live!
Geforce 4 Ti 4600
512MB Crucial PC133

The latest drivers (1737F) appear to solve the BSOD problem I described above with my DWL-650 wireless NIC running on a Win2k pro machine. URL for drivers - and be sure to pick the 1737F set - is:

ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Wireless/DWL650/Driver/

Hope this helps others....

Getting the same DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error with Windows XP, thought I'd upgrade from Win2000...what a f******g mistake that was...Got these errors with 2(PCI) x Intel Pro 10/100+ Management Cards, 1(PCI) x 3com 3C905B-TX card and jst for the heck of it a Accton NE2000 Compatible ISA card...Result: Nothing works.

Tried disabling BIOS PnP and puting IRQ's in BIOS to Legacy, no go. Tried latest drivers from all over, no go, tried manually setting Cards settings via DOS, no go, pulled out all cards in PC, no go. Tried various slots, no go. Tried setting My 'Computer' under Device Manager to 'Standard PC' instead of APCI, no go. I Know it is not the hardware cos I just upgraded from Win2000 and was running 2 sound Cards and 2 NICs prior to this 'upgrade'. Just about to get my data off this freaking box and reinstall Win2000. What a glorious waste of 18 hours..f**k you XP, mu**** fu****

I think 2000 is stable enough now and someone please slap me if I think of 'upgrading' to XP ever again.

Lore

Golly, I feel SO stinkin' inadequate because I cannot remember nor find a definition for "mirc".

Will somebody PLEASE tell me what this is, it's just driving me nuts!

I have this same problem with a Linksys NIC and XP Pro. I just installed the NIC so I could connect with an Ericsson cable modem. It appears that the NIC and the Video card are stomping on each other. I am going to try to change the the IRQ for the NIC to 10 or 11 and see what happens.

Hey I read this forum and thought I'd let you know what worked for me. I was getting the BSOD... NDIS.sys error with BEGINNING DUMP OF PHYSICAL MEMORY like some of you, running Windows 2000 professional with a Linksys Network Everywhere Card. I tried updating drivers and things like that, none of that worked. What did work: upgrading to Service Pack 3. I had Service Pack 2 on there, I just went to Start->Windows Update, downloaded Service Pack 3 (and a few other recommended downloads), restarted, and never had the problem again. Whether or not this would work for everyone I don't know, but it's probably worth a shot. Good Luck.

I noticed some of you have abit kt7 boards (at least one) which happens to have the via chipset. I suggest finding out if your board has a via chipset. If it does, download the latest drivers for it (called "4 in 1 drivers") and see if it works.

i get that same darn prob when receiving a file on mirc, i have tried updating the via chipset jus yesterday, and still get the dreaded BSOD. i use windows xp, and don't know what else it could be. also, the system freezes sometimes when receiving a file for about 10 seconds, then is unfroze for 3 seconds and keeps doing this until my internet connection is lost. btw, i have a linksys router, and dsl. any other suggestions??

I am having this problem, and I have a 3com NIC! I will try to IRQ thing and let you know what happens.
Have a shuttle mobo and winXP home.
I have 512M ram, 2 sitcks. If I remove either stick- no problem. If I use both, BSOD within minutes when using IE

A driver fix for Windows 98/ 2000/ ME/ XP's BSOD for the Linksys LNE100TX v5.

States to not use the linksys driver but rather the driver from the mnfg of the chipset (ADMtek).

Read about it, as well as what driver to download here:

Please note this will only work with v5 ... I have yet to find a fix for my v4 *sigh*

Carl M. Gregory
MC_8 @ #eggdrop && #tcl @ Undernet

After speaking with a second level senior tech at linksys for several days, he proposed a test for me. He gave me a program (which I put on ) so I could easily switch the MTU of the card. Here is what he states:

-----------
This is in response to the technical difficulty that you are experiencing right now with your LNE100TX V.4
We have come up with a few sets of solutions that you can try and might help us solve the technical difficulties that you are experiencing right now.

You need to set up the MTU size of the computer you are using by setting it up in your registry settings (but altering the registry might ruin your Operating System). And so I attached here a program that will automatically make some changes of your MTU setting in the registry.

è Download this attachment and extract it in a certain folder.

è Then open the folder to which you extracted this file attachment and run the DRTCP.EXE

è Then on the Adapter Settings set the MTU size of the adapter (which is your LNE100TX v.4) to 1492 or 1490

o Note: Be sure you set the MTU of the correct adapter (not the dial-up MTU) you are using.

è Click on Save and restart the computer.
-----------

Welp, after several hours of testing it.. setting it to 1492 seems to of done the trick.

I hope I'm not talking too soon, but the BSOD issue usually occurs within 30 min's of downloading at top speed from a T3 or greater on mIRC via DCC Send. Using a LNE100TX v4.1 card.

Does this help anyone else as well?

Carl M. Gregory

By the one, the one helping me out is

Alejandro F. Casidsid
Product Support Representative
Linksys

I figure he should get credit. Took me 3 days of talking to idiots at LinkSys level 1 support to finally get this knowledgeable person.

Carl M. Gregory

After testing for 8 hours (usually happens in .5 hours) it worked fine.

I spoke too soon, same issue. Tried it the next day after I woke up.

I will update when and if linksys fixes it only after 1 week of testing.

My bad everyone.

Carl M. Gregory

Once again I ask ..... will someone please define the term "mIRC"? I can't seem to find it referenced and I can't bloody remember what the **** it means! Email me! denodave@yahoo.com
Real men pray...especially techies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back