Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newest "Cheat" method in schools. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SantaMufasa

Technical User
Jul 17, 2003
US
Man, things have changed since Beaver Cleaver and I were in school...I just heard that the newest BIG thing in schools (from middle school through college) is to CHEAT on tests via text messaging.

Local schools are implementing a $250 unit that jams cell signals for the entire school.

What are your thoughts on either/both sides of this issue?

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

I still think my rule is perfect for in class cell policies.

If the teacher or TA sees or hears a cellphone during the exam then you will be asked to leave and receive a grade of zero on the exam/quiz/assignment.

----------

Steve Budzynski

"So, pass another round around for the kids. Who have nothing left to lose and for those souls old and sold out by the soles of my shoes"

The during class time rule would depend on the teacher. Either cellphones are not permitted and you would be asked to leave or the teacher will tell you to turn it off/on silent.

In high/middle school cell phones will remain off in your locker from the start of the day (730) till the final bell rings (230). If you are seen with a cellphone (on or off) between these times you will be suspended for no less then 2 days.

----------

Steve Budzynski

"So, pass another round around for the kids. Who have nothing left to lose and for those souls old and sold out by the soles of my shoes"

EBGreen.. as Stella wrote jamming is not allowed in the USofA"

So you are telling me that I cannot legally turn my bedroom at home into a farraday cage?

[red]"... isn't sanity really just a one trick pony anyway?! I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you are good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit!" - The Tick[/red]

Well I asked my father regarding his school's policy.. the first time the kid gets caught he holds on to the phone and the kid can pick it up at the end of the day..

the second time it goes to the principal's office.. and he told me that it hasn't ever happened.

I still stand by that other students would be annoyed by the sound and would make it obvious to the teacher that something is going on.

EBGreen -

You can use passive measures (that is, those that do not involve radio transmissions) to stop cell phone usage. That isn't, strictly speaking, jamming. But you can't transmit anything to interfere with them. That is jamming.

Feles mala! Cur cista non uteris? Stramentum novum in ea posui!

So there is nothing wrong with my initial statement:

"I thought that active jamming was a violation. I didn't think that passive obstruction (special paints/farraday cages) were."

[red]"... isn't sanity really just a one trick pony anyway?! I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you are good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit!" - The Tick[/red]

flaypere, EBGreen,

So all the schools must relocate in basements and strong windowless boxes? ;-)

There are companies that sell paints and window overlays specifically to do this for any room. Not cheap yet but I expect that the price will go down over time.

Wait a minute....

Are we talking about schools in the US? The ones with ridiculous "zero tolerance" policies? The ones who will expel a student for sharing an asthma inhaler with a fellow asthmatic having an attack, or suspend a student for having a butter knife from 1974 in the trunk of his Nova and ban things like nail clippers and scissors that aren't round on the end?

And they can't get kids to turn off their cell phones?

They can! This has been my whole point, everyone is quick to say lets spend money on this or lets spend money on that.

How about lets discipline and lets enforce our rules?

If the teacher/ta keeps an eye on his/her students then they won't be able to whip out their cellphone and cheat, just like they won't be able to whip out a peice of paper with answers on it and read that.

The rules are fine the way they are now, I'd rather not waste my taxpaying money on the 1% or less of students that cheat with their cellphone.

----------

Steve Budzynski

If today's teachers are anything like the ones I had 20 years ago, they not only have eyes in the back of their heads, but on most other body parts as well. I don't think I ever got away with anything in class. Well, anything that I'd admit to.

And if a teacher wasn't like that then they wouldn't be doing their job very well now would they?

----------

Steve Budzynski

The answer to your question is no, twenty years ago, a teacher would probably not be favorably judged if classroom discipline was lacking. However, twenty years ago, there was a much different attitude towards classroom discipline than there is today. Twenty years ago, parents didn't sue school districts because their children were disciplined by a teacher. Twenty years ago, teachers had more latitude in the types and severity of punishments that could be levied.

Twenty years ago, technology didn't affort students the opportunity to silently communicate with others outside of the classroom. Twenty years ago was a very different environment.

Today's classroom environment is very different. Technology has introduced many new opportunities in the classroom, but at the same time, has brought with it considerable challenges. In addition, societal attitudes towards discipline are very different. The landscape is different, so today's problems require different techniques and solutions that might have been effective twenty years ago.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

You know, things like this makes the fact that I can't have kids seem like a blessing sometimes.

/shaking head sadly
//still blames Dr. Spock for Generation N-titlement (tm)

When technology makes it so that a student doesn't have to pull anything out of their pocket then we can think of doing something so drastic about it.

20 years ago makes no difference, a teacher can keep a watchful eye on their students. I didn't say BEAT them, just don't let them cheat but watching them to make sure they don't cheat..

----------

Steve Budzynski

The last statement I care to make:

I am a current college student and I just finished high school 2 years ago. Teachers have cell phone policies under control. Let me reiterate, good teachers have cell phone policies under control.

----------

Steve Budzynski

I disagree, the environment and attitudes of twenty years ago makes a huge difference it what is considered acceptable and what is not.

You said earlier that you are in 400+ student lecture classes. One professor cannot possibly watch 400 students. It is far more cost-efficient for the univserity to block to technology than to hire additional people to add watchful eyes.

What happened to the self-discipline of the student?

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

I also stated that they have appointed teaching assistants during exams.

The self-discipline of the student is still there, we are speaking about the very few students who happen to break this rule.

----------

Steve Budzynski

Hire, appoint -- no difference to me other than the money factor.

Bureaucratic inertia will stifle such initiatives.

If schools can ban Midol and nail clippers on campus, what's the big deal about banning cell phones? Because, cell phones are perceived as an extension of one's self, an instrument of freedom, if you will (or even if you won't). They are not looked at as tools of cheaters. But they certainly can be. If they had not been used to cheat anywhere at all, we would not be having this debate. But they can, and therefore are suspect.

Check your cell phone at the door,
Or you get a zero score.
(me)

Feles mala! Cur cista non uteris? Stramentum novum in ea posui!

These days I write the answers on small slips of paper attached to the frames of my glasses.

I used to wear an earpiece that looked like a hearing-aid. My roommate could feed me the answers from the bench out front.

~Thadeus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back