Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newest "Cheat" method in schools. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SantaMufasa

Technical User
Jul 17, 2003
US
Man, things have changed since Beaver Cleaver and I were in school...I just heard that the newest BIG thing in schools (from middle school through college) is to CHEAT on tests via text messaging.

Local schools are implementing a $250 unit that jams cell signals for the entire school.

What are your thoughts on either/both sides of this issue?

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

I think it would be difficult to cheat via text messaging. You would have to go in your pocket and type your message or read your message without the professor/ta seeing. I think it would be easier to just have a cheat sheet (piece of paper with all the information you need) in your pocket.

Though, I have heard of students cheating via text message. I believe it would be wiser to have the teachers and teaching assistants keep a closer eye on students then spend the money on these devices. I feel that students should be able to send and receive text messages during normal class periods and these devices would probably hinder that. (in college though, not in grade school) My high and middle school banned cell phones completely and if you were seen with one (on or off) you were suspended for no less then three days.

Unless you can turn these on and off? Either way I think school should save their money (in most instances, my tax or tuition money) and keep a better eye on students.

----------

Steve Budzynski

"So, pass another round around for the kids. Who have nothing left to lose and for those souls old and sold out by the soles of my shoes"

I feel that students should be able to send and receive text messages during normal class periods

Why? What pressing need would arise that would justify the potential disruption to the class? If you did have a policy of text messaging being allowed at any time in class, then text messaging would be an extremely simple way to cheat.

[red]"... isn't sanity really just a one trick pony anyway?! I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you are good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit!" - The Tick[/red]

Oh...I re-read the part that I quoted and I think you mean that they would not be allowed to message during a test. Even if that were the case, I would see text messaging as a disruption to the class.

[red]"... isn't sanity really just a one trick pony anyway?! I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you are good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit!" - The Tick[/red]

How does text messaging in class improve the education process?

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

If it doesn't improve or augment the education process, then it has no purpose in a classroom.

Further - if you advocate that teachers and aides keep a better eye on students, then I suppose you advocate that they be allowed read every text message that comes into or out of their classroom?

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

I am speaking from the eye of the student. I attend a large university with very large classes (400+). It is every teacher’s policy that cell phones be turned on silent during class. I don't think that it would be that much a disruption if students were allowed to send and receive text messages during lecture. Of course the phone must be on silent and I do not condone having text conversations during class time. If you were in highschool or any small classroom surrounding I think it would be very inappropriate to text during class and disrespectful to the teacher. However, I do not feel that texts should be jammed during regular class periods. During the exam is a different story, your cell phone should never be on or exit your pocket/book bag/purse during an exam. Again I don't think my money should be used toward these jamming devices when the professor or teaching assistants could just keep a watchful eye on their students.

----------

Steve Budzynski

"So, pass another round around for the kids. Who have nothing left to lose and for those souls old and sold out by the soles of my shoes"

Since when is "Cell phone access" and "Text Messaging" a Freedom/Right that we should be protecting in schools? If hospitals can actually throw you out (by force, if necessary) if you insist on using your cell phone (even for text messaging), then why are we worried about "protecting the (phantom) rights of access to students (children or otherwise)?

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

CC are you saying the teacher be able to read the message during exam times or anytime a text is received in class?

Also, are we speaking specifically about college lecture or generalizing about college, highschool, and middle school?

Because college classrooms are very different then high and middle school classrooms. I think that cellphones should not be allowed in highschool or middle schools but I do not see the problem with cell phones in college as long as they are on silent. A cell phone is disruptive when I can hear it during class, even the vibrate is disruptive. A student talking on his or her cellphone during class would also be disruptive and should therefore not be allowed. But texting, as long as I can't hear it, does not bother me. I, of course, cannot speak for other students.

----------

Steve Budzynski

Cell phones are not allowed in hospitals because they might disrupt the equipment. When peoples lives are endangered by cell phones then they should throw them out if they do not obey the rules. If the rules in class says no cell phones and a student uses their phone they the teacher should throw them out too!

----------

Steve Budzynski

then the teacher*

----------

Steve Budzynski

<aside>
The lastest use of cell-phones in cheating I've read involved a college student's photographing the test using a high-megapixel camera built into the phone. The student then emailed the photograph to an confederate outside the room, who returned by text message the answers to the questions.
</aside>

The problem as I see it is limiting the blocking by geography.

I see no ethical difference between the passing of notes on scraps of paper and the passing of text messages between cell phones. Neither a grade-school teacher nor a college professor should have to put up with it, during a test or not.

I see no ethical difference between a student's talking out of turn and a student's making or taking a cell-phone call during class. Neither a grade-school teacher not a college professor should have to put up with it, during a test or not.

For these reasons, I see no problem with blocking all cell-phone traffic in the classroom.

However, cell phones can be of very good use in emergencies in the hallways of a grade-school or college, and under no circumstances can this blocking affect non-school-owned property that abuts the campus.

If the technology can be that selective, I have no problem with it at all.

As far as the cost goes, $250 may not that big a deal. A high school of 2500 students will waste more than $250 a year not turning off lights when they're supposed to.

SantaMufasa:
Can you give us a link to more information about the technology? As someone who works in the IT department of a public school system, I can bet someone sooner or later will ask me about it.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions! TANSTAAFL!

Applause for SantaMufasa again!

The new generation (I call it "Generation Mine and Not Yours", or "Generation Self-Entitlement") seems to believe that if they want it, they SHOULD have it, regardless of what "it" is.

I've seen college students try to get away with cell phones, laptop computers with IM's, and IM equipment such as blackberries in class. I've also seen quite a few pop quizzes and students getting angry with the culprit who just affected their final grade.

:)

I think that cellphones should not be allowed in highschool...

I disagree.

They shouldn't be allowed to be ON in school, but they shouldn't go after the turned OFF phones.

For many high school students and their parents, it's a lifeline, especially at this age when they are gaining more and more independence. They go to some after-school activities, have jobs, hang out with friends, sometimes get stuck on public transportation or get evacuated for school fires/alleged bombings, sometimes get in troubles, etc. My experience is that payphones are disappearing, much so working ones. When one day you have you own children, you would probably understand. I want to know where my daughter is, and I really appreciate that she knows to call me whenever possible if for one reason or another she is coming home late (much as I did when I was her age - but I had to look for a payphone or other means). It gives me peace of mind.

Of course the phone MUST be off in school, but the minute the students step out, they can use it.

I know that $250 is not that much to ask but how will it work? Will it just jam cell phones inside the classroom or in the whole building or the whole campus? I think people should be allowed to use their cell phones outside of the classroom (again not in middle or highschool). And students definitely have to have cell phone access on campus, especially students that live on campus all year round.

Why can't a "no cell phone" policy just be enforced instead of shelling out money?

----------

Steve Budzynski

Stella I agree, my mistake in wording that quote. I do not think cell phones should not be allowed completely just not inside the class room. Cell phones should remain in your locker (turned off). That is how my high school cell phone policy was and it worked fine.

----------

Steve Budzynski

Steve,

Sorry if I misunderstood you, but is there any other way to interpret this quote?
Steve Budzynski said:
I feel that students should be able to send and receive text messages during normal class periods and these devices would probably hinder that. (in college though, not in grade school) My high and middle school banned cell phones completely and if you were seen with one (on or off) you were suspended for no less then three days.

NO Cellphones allowed. Simple.

Back in the 80's, we were prohibitted to bring calculators to the math exam. Time has not changed, people changed.

Dave (Santa) said 'Since when is "Cell phone access" and "Text Messaging" a Freedom/Right that we should be protecting in schools?'

Since you're from Utah, you're presumably referring to the US Constitution. Lots of people think our rights come to us from the Constitution; they do not. The so-called Bill of Rights merely prohibits government interfering with rights which existed before there was a Constitution and which we will still have if the Constitution goes away.

The 9th amendment covers it quite nicely.

Sorry about going so Off-topic...

Frank Clarke
Tampa Area REXX Programmers' Alliance
REXX Language Assn Listmaster

Back in the 80's, we were prohibitted to bring calculators to the math exam. Time has not changed, people changed.

Well, in elementary school calculators were completely out of the question when I went to school, too - because you were learning to do it in your head or on paper.

But not in high school.

In my high school, you could have use the calculator for the math, if you wish, and it was the REQUIREMENT (the scientific variety) in my physics class.

Because high school math and physics are not about calculations; they are (at least, supposed to be) much more complex than that, and being able to do the calculations fast will free up the thinking time for solving the real problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back