Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie questions re: installing a VCM in an IP406 switch 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogle

IS-IT--Management
Mar 13, 2006
US
Hi All,

My office is running an IP406 with an 8-port VCM... I'm about to upgrade to a 30-port VCM.

I'm totally new to this system and have never even shut it down before (the guy who managed it was fired). So, my questions to the group are...

1. What's the best way to safely shut the system down? There's no On/Off switch - so do I just unplug the thing?
2. Should I back up the config first? What's the best way to do that, and how in the world would I restore it?
3. What do I need to know to make the VCM work? Is it like RAM... you plug it in and the system recognizes it? Or is there something in the configuration that I need to do to enable it?

Thank you in advance for any light you can shed, and I apologize for asking what must seem like stupid questions...

-brian

Thanks for the link! This is exactly the type of information I'm looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back