Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Pioneer DVR-112D burns so slow ! Why ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ylan

Technical User
Sep 25, 2002
CA
I Just installed the Pioneer DVR-112D burner on my PC ( WinXP Pro SP2; Celeron 2400; 512 RAM ) . On my 2 years old Lite-on burner before the upgrade, it took 12 minutes to burn a DVD 5 movies at speed 6X . Now, this new Pioneer burner took 29 minutes to burn the same DVD 5 disc at 8X !! Obviously, something is terribly wrong here ! I expect about only 8 minutes at the most !!

Do I need to update the driver or firmware ? Currently, WinXP driver is used . Could the driver cause this issue ? BTW, the DVD discs are playable . It's the speed that killing me !

Please help ..Thanks

I just updated the firmware to version 1.22 (from 1.15)from Pioneer website then tried to burn the same DVD again . Nothing changed , still almost half an hour ! I noticed the average actual speed was only 1.8x instead of the specified speed of 12X ! Why ?? Please explain ... Thanks .

I used Memorex DVD 16X ( Within the designed speed of Pioneer DVR-112D ) . I also tried Maxell DVD-R 16x but the issue remained , still about 30 minutes burning a DVD 5 !

This is outragous , especially when my 2 years old Lite-on can do it in 12 minutes! I spent money for worse result ! Oh... I'm in pain ...:-( Please help !

What software are you using to create the DVD's?
Are you using the same IDE cable to connect the drive?
Is the drive a slave or master?

Thanks ,kestrel1 , for your suggestions !

I checked the DVD config. in my PC , everything seemed O.K. , all in DMA mode . However, on a lark, I uninstalled the WinXP CD-DVD drivers and restarted the system and this did it ! The Pioneer DVD-112D now runs at the correct speed aroung 8 minutes to burn a DVSD-5 disc . I still did not know why I got into trouble in the first place . Please comment ...

Could be that when you installed the new drive it wasn't recognised correctly & the drivers had got confused (not difficult with Windows)
I am glad that you managed to get this sorted out. I normally get around to saying about removing drivers & getting them re-installed, but you beat me to it. Well done you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back