Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new page...that i just dont want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mission2java

Programmer
Jul 3, 2001
US
I continue to get a blank page that just keeps coming out on my report even when I have checked everything!

I have a page header
details a
details b
details c
details d
page footer

All the details section each have their own subreport. I have made sure that I have checked off the option to suppress the subreport if there is no data. I noticed I ran a report which in the db had no records for details d. And it still prints a blank page with a page header (the time) and a page footer (the page number). The middle of that page has absolutely NO information!!!!
I do not have a check mark in trhe section expert for new page after!!!!

Can someone please help me out...
Thanks,
Jon

My guess is that you are using the "Suppress Blank Section" rule in the Section Expert for Detail-D.

This rule will only supress the sub-report if ALL the report content is Blank.

That means the sub-report has no header, footer, text, etc. You should make sure that all the parts of your sub-report are suppressed if there are no records, otherwise the Blank Sub-Report will still be inserted into your main report.

Hope it helps...

Hi MR...

thanks do you mean each text object??? And each heading text static that I have in the subreport? If so how do I suppress for no records on these things??

Jon

Which version of Crystal? If it's 8.5, look at thread782-477236 for a workround.

Madawc Williams
East Anglia, Great Britain

No this is 9.

I have went into every subreport and the main report and checked off the suppress blank section in the section expert.
I have made sure every single one of these have been checked. And I still get this blank page!!!

:(

Yup...everything in the sub-report. If you have sections in your sub-report, you can use the SECTION EXPERT in the sub-report, instead of doing it field-by-field.

You can do a conditional supression on ALL your sub-report sections using a Count formula on one of your detail fields.

Example : Count ({Table.Field}) < 1

You need to return a totally BLANK sub-report in order for the &quot;Supress Blank Section&quot; rule in the MAIN REPORT to function.

Ok I did use the section expert on EVERY single sub report
and did a &quot;Suppress Blank Section&quot;. I also double clicked on each subreport and then I went to File->Report Options
and checked off where it says &quot;Suppress Printing if no records&quot; both still did not solve my issue. Im not sure what you mean regarding the count formula..or where to even place that...is that in the subreport? Im a newbie and understand the basics since I am familiar with Access reporting..but I'm not sure how that code will help me!

Jon

In the SECTION EXPERT of your sub-report you should see the X-2 box next to Supress (No Drill-Down).

Click on the X-2 and insert the count formula, changing the {Table.Field} from the formula in my first post to one of your sub-report data fields.

Example : Count ({TransactionTable.TransactionNumber}) < 1

You want to do this for EVERY section in your sub-report.

Do i also need to check &quot;Suppress No Drill Down&quot; with a check mark or just put in a formula?

Also for instance if one of my Subreports was based on a table called Transports with a field TPos do you want to do a:

Count({Transports.Tpos}) < 1

???

So when you say each section do you mean every section within that subreport.

Thanks,
Jon

How deep is the subreport object in design mode? How deep is each of the detail sections?

Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Expert's Guide to Formulas / Tips and Tricks / Guide to Crystal in VB
- tek@kenhamady.com

What do you mean deep?

BTW Hi Ken :)
You probably dont remember me but I purchased the crystal vb starter pack to help me get my viewer going. It helped out greatly for 16 bucks :)

Thanks,
Jon

Ok MR.

I just did everything you said for all the headers and sections in each sub report substutiting my table names and fields like so:
Where it says Suppress (No Drill Down) I clicked on the x+2
I put in:

Count({Transports.Tpos}) < 1

For my transports section

Count({Stations.Spos}) < 1

For my stations sections

Count({Pallets.Ppos}) < 1

For my pallets sections

And finally:
Count({OptionalItems.Opos}) < 1

For my optional items section.

The db has NO records for option items so the subreprot should not show. I run the report and I get 14 pages. The 14th page is empty except for the header and footer of the main report which is the time. If I put in a record (an optional item) then the report looks fine with the 14th page showing that item.

I have did what you said as well as all the other things and still no luck!!!!!!

Anyone else with further suggestions?

Thanks,
Jon

Vertical size of the object (maybe Height would have been a better word).

- tek@kenhamady.com

Hi Ken,

Hard to explain what you mean...
so maybe it would help to send you screen shots?
Is that ok?

jon

Can I please send these screen shots and a sample output of the report to anyone? I really need to resolve this issue, and I cannot seem to understand why I am getting a new page.

I really appreciate the help, I cannot tell you how much it would help.

Thanks,
jon

Once you start sending me files you graduate into a consulting client. Instead, right click on the subreport in design mode and select &quot;Object size and position&quot; and tell me the Height of the subreport objects. Then tell me if the sections are bigger than the objects.

- tek@kenhamady.com

ok if i am on my main report I have those details sections
which inside of them are the subreport. the subreport on this main report looks like a simple text box. I right click on it and get the size and position it says:

X= 0.040 Y=0.080
H: .230 W: 6.120

Im not sure what you are referring to with sections bigger than the objects, if you are thinking this is a size issue I highly doubt that. Like I said if I put a record into my db for OptionalItems than that section shows and the number of pages is correct. But if there is no record there is still an empty page...even with all of the things I have done so far.

I can provide links of what this all looks like...once i get this web server up and running (Very close)...

I just really need to resolve this issue.

Thanks,.
Jon

Is the details section the same vertical height as the subreports that are in them or is the details section larger than the subreport? Also, what is the vertical size of the page header and page footer.

- tek@kenhamady.com

ken,

Im not certain I just dont know where to look. The terminology and functionality is a lot different from access reporting. All I can tell you is on the main report i split it up into details sections. Each detail is a subreport (on the main report it just looks like a text box). When you double click that text box it opens the sub report as another tab in crystal. There I have headers, details and footers for the sub report. I am just not certain what you mean about the sizes...like I said on the main report the subreport is just a text box. So of course this area is going to be smaller then when you double click the subreport. Thats why I wanted to send you the images just so you could look at them. Its the easiest way for me to explain what I have.

I still do not think this is a sizing problem...like I said if a record is entered then it shows up on the page correctly. If it is not entered it still shows up as an empty page.

If cant find the option to see the size of the page header / footer. Are you speaking of the main reports main header and footer? The footer just holds the time and page number its about the size of a text box..and goes from the beginning till the end of the report. The header just has the name of the report and our customer...very simple.

Update:

Now Im totally confused...I just ran the report directly in Crystal and it shows the correct number of pages.
I then opened the report from the client side (vb application) and it shows 14 pages instead of 13, with that EMPTY page still there!!! This is the SAME report because I copied it and pasted it right into the apps folder.

Why am I getting that empty page on here!!! Im not doing anything but opening the report!

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back