Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New network 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpopa

Programmer
Mar 3, 2005
US
I wish I got IP Office installs more often, then I would remember some of this stuff. Unfortunately, it just comes in waves. I've got a customer who currently has a 3.0 406 system. I am to install a second system(SMOffice) at a remote location and network. I installed the VCM into the 406, and it is at the same software level as this SMOffice is. I've only done this once before, and that was in my training course. They currently have cisco equipment that links the two LAN's together. I remember having to create a line that has the VOIP info in it, but I can't remember past that. I see in the Manager PDF that it suggests you use an 8N shortcode, but I don't think that's what I want. I was rather certain there was another way to do this so that users could just dial remote extensions without using a shortcode. If anyone has any tips on this they would be appreciated. Thanks Guys

You need to create a new VoIP line on each IP Office. Each line should have a unique line group ID number (so choose number 1 if your ISDN uses 0). The VoIP lines must have the IP address of the REMOTE system set as the gateway.

You must then create an IP route to each remote network, so you would use something like...

Site A

192.168.1.0 (remote subnet at Site B)
255.255.255.0 (subnet mask)
Destination LAN1
Gateway 192.168.2.1 (your Cisco router at Site A)

and Site B

192.168.2.0 (remote subnet at Site A)
Destination LAN1
Gateway 192.168.1.1 (your Cisco router at Site B)

For basic operation without using SCN, each IP Office should have different extn number ranges eg Site A is 201-230 and Site B is 301-310.

At site A, you do a shortcode for 3N which is set to dial 3N on the line group ID of your VoIP line (eg ID 1). On Site B you create a shortcode 2N which is set to dial 2N on the line group ID of the other VoIP line at that site.

That's all there is to it. Let me know if you need more info ;-)

By the way, SCN is Small Community Networking. It's a new thing in IP Office which allows you to have phones ate multiple sites which not only act as one system (as above) but also let you see what's going on at each site using Phone Manager and BLF for example.

Things are the same as above, only to achieve this you tick the box on each VoIP line which says Voice Networking. With SCN there is no need to use different extn number ranges as such, which avoids the need for shortcodes. Instead Site A would use 201-203 and site B would use 231-240.

See the help file index for Enabling Small Community Networking

Again, let me know if you need help.

OK, so just looking at my config:

Line 20:
9 Channels Set up
Line Group is 20
Configured for VoIP to the system on the other side
(Same on both)

Then I have a route on each pointing to the respective gateways.

Lastly, for testing, I have this shortcode 8N, which dials N, and is set to use Line Group 20.

I would think then that as soon as I dial 8 I should have dial tone off of the remote switch, correct? Because I am not, I am getting NUMBER BUSY on the display.

Typos, typos, typos. Ate should be at and Site A should read 201-230 - not 203.

IP Office is easy, keyboards are what make me stumble :)

I prefer to do the shortcodes the way i suggested. This makes sure that when the channel is brought up, it dials the actual extension number of the remote site.

This will not work if you have the same extn numbers at each site.

Yeah, the 8N was just to see if I was working while I waited for a response from here.

If I use SCN, I don't need the shortcodes, correct? Just want to make sure before I reboot the live system. Want to make sure I get everything :p

Correct. SCN does not need the shortcodes because the Voice Network option means that when you dial an extn at the remtoe site, it learns the remote extension numbers.

However, SCN does need shortcodes for groups and other remote numbers. It only learns extn numbers - nothing else.

Also, I must again stress that extn, group and any other numbers at each site must all be unique.

Yep. I only have 5 users, and no HG's on the remote side, so I should be fine. Thanks for your help!

If it works, do I get a star? That would be really cool!!

Just kidding - good luck and let me know how you get on (then you can give me my star)

;-)

Isn't working, but you get a gold star anyway. Trying to figure this out for the life of me. If I can get it set up in the next 20 minutes I will be able to install it today. If not, we will be waiting a bit. Just to go over my configuration in total again:

Zeeland:
Line: 20
Group ID: 20
Channels: 9
No shortcodes
Remote IP: 10.60.13.20 (correct IP)
Voice Networking is checked
Everything else is default in the line

Holland:
Line: 21
Group ID: 2
Channels: 9
No shortcodes
Remote IP: 10.58.0.16 (correct IP)
Voice Networking is checked
Everything else is default in the line

This should work then correct? I built one short code in Holland to test:

8N
N
Dial
Line Group 21

All I get is a 'NUMBER BUSY' error. Any thoughts? See anything wrong?

This is from the Zeeland switch when I press 8 in holland.

19034mS H323Evt: v=0 stacknum=250 State, new=NullState, old=NullState id=-1
19035mS PRN: H.323 Setup, looking for extn by ref 2 - 00 07
19035mS PRN: H.323 Setup, looking for extn by ip 0a3a01ba, port: 4102
19035mS PRN: H.323 Setup, looking for extn by ip 0a3a01ba
19035mS PRN: Found h323-ID Penny Knauss, using alias
19036mS PRN: no source address found!

Do you have the IP routes set for each system? You should be able to ping each IP office from each remote subnet.

I am able to do that without any problems.

1 make sure you do not have any firewalls/ port blocking on your routers that may interfere with the VoIP trafic.

2) in the Voip trunks the "Gateway" referes to the H323 gateway & should be that of the IPO at the other end NOT the customers router.

enable SCN but keep sepeate numnber ranges @ each end (this makes adding new useres easier to maaintain) & add the shortcodes for each site to enable calls to groups as necessary.

As far as I know there are no firewalls, etc. Anything is possible I guess. The IP's in the VoIP trunks are set to the other side's IPO. Number ranges at the moment are seperate.

So here is an update on my thoughts on this:

sourceAddress = { 1 item(s)
[0] = h323-ID =
0050 0065 006e 006e 0079 0020 004b 006e Penny Kn
0061 0075 0073 0073 auss
}

This is part of the h323 info sent by the Holland Small Office. I looks to me like maybe it's sending name when it should be sending an IP? That or Zeeland doesn't know where to find 'Penny Knauss'

Any thoughts?

can you ping the remote site , if reply is not received try tracert ip address of your remote ipo and post your results.

Yep. Ping, tracert, manager... All work on both systems on both sides. Using SysMon I can watch the H323Tx on one side, then view the other and see the Rx. This also works vice/versa.

Can you confirm if the SMALL OFFice has the integrated voip card installed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back