Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New network 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpopa

Programmer
Mar 3, 2005
US
I wish I got IP Office installs more often, then I would remember some of this stuff. Unfortunately, it just comes in waves. I've got a customer who currently has a 3.0 406 system. I am to install a second system(SMOffice) at a remote location and network. I installed the VCM into the 406, and it is at the same software level as this SMOffice is. I've only done this once before, and that was in my training course. They currently have cisco equipment that links the two LAN's together. I remember having to create a line that has the VOIP info in it, but I can't remember past that. I see in the Manager PDF that it suggests you use an 8N shortcode, but I don't think that's what I want. I was rather certain there was another way to do this so that users could just dial remote extensions without using a shortcode. If anyone has any tips on this they would be appreciated. Thanks Guys

Yep. Using monitor the system recognized 16 VCOMP's.

What equipment do you have doing the VPN / firewall? Is it Cisco by any chance?

If so, I've just posted a similar reply about disabling 'fixup' on the Cisco's because it stops certain H323 gatekeeper functions.

The results of fixup look similar to what is in your traces.

Supported Min Cisco Routers :-

Routers Cisco 1751/1760 Series
Cisco 2600/2600-XM Series
Cisco 3600 Series
Cisco 3700 Series
Cisco 7200 Series
Cisco IOS Software Release
12.2(15)T
Cisco Hardware and Software Supporting AutoQoS

Spanning, not sure what you mean or whether you misunderstood my post. Almost all Cisco routers and PIX firewalls will work for the VPN, but the "fixup" setting should always be disabled to ensure H323 works properly.

But so far, we don't know if he has Cisco yet!! Let's see...

;-P

Well, I have a Cisco 1721 at the Holland end, and a 3700(I think) at the Zeeland end. I've been bugging the IT admin for his cisco PW's but I'm not getting anywhere.

I'm sure it'll be the fixup thing. Seen it many times before. If you've done eveything as above and it's not working, it's either your config being corrupt, firmware, or the VPN hardware. I'd lean towards fixup settings on the Cisco.

If I'm right, then click on the little purple star button and make me a happy guy!! ;-)

Well it isn't a VPN, it's a straight P2P T1 connection over the Cisco's.

Right, I've just looked back up the thread. You've sneaked that 8N shortcode back in now.

With SCN, you only dial the extension number you want to reach. So at Site A you have 201-230, and Site B is 231-240. To call Site B, you don't dial 8N, you just dial the extn number eg 231.

Yep, I know that. I just tried it because it isn't working without shortcodes either.

fixup is a PIX command, is there an equivalent in the router world?

OK. From the top...

IP routes on IP Office at Zeeland:

IP 10.58.0.0
Mask 255.255.0.0
GW
Dest LAN1

IP 10.60.0.0
Mask 255.255.0.0
GW 10.58.0.x (router IP at Zeeland)
Dest LAN1

You may also have a route for remote manager.

Reverse the above routes on the IPO at Holland. These are all the routes you need at each end for this to work. Your Cisco's will do the rest.

At Zeeland, create a VoIP line for Holland.

In the Line tab for the VoIP line set the following:

Set a unique Line Number. Anything over 30 is recommended to avoid clashing with any physical lines that may be added to the system. As per the help file, use 3000.

In the Telephone Number field, enter a description of the link, eg. "Holland".

Set the Outgoing Group ID to a unique value; ie. one not already used for lines connecting elsewhere. As per the help file, use 3000 again.

In the VoIP tab for the VoIP line, set the following:

Ensure that Voice Networking is ticked.

For the Gateway IP Address enter the IP address of Holland - 10.60.13.20

Select the preferred Compression Mode. The same mode must be used by all VoIP lines and extensions within the network.

Check that the H450 Support option is set to H450.

Do the above at Holland, this time changing the name to Zeeland and change the IP to 10.58.0.16

Make sure you have no shortcodes, or any other routes which are not listed above.

Make sure that each site has unique extension numbers. user names, and group names. So for Zeeland use extn 201-230 and for Holland use 231-240

This is how it should work. If it does not work when you do this, then there is a problem in between as I said.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a fixup command for a 1721 because you're not using a firewall.

Follow this and let me know how you get on :)

Done, and Done. Still not working. I finally got access to the cisco's, seems there's some super secret cool NAT thing going on somewhere in their network between these two locations. Great to know about now. Anyway, I will be playing with that and then trying again. Thanks for all your help guys! 1000000000 stars to mytelecoms.

All in a days work!! I thought it may be something in between as opposed to your config, as you've tried SCN and the shortcode method and your settings you've tried all seem correct.

Hopefully now, the network guys can sort the link out for you, and as a last resort you can always default the units, reload the firmware and rewrite the config ;-)

Oh what fun we have, where would we be without Avaya!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back