Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New.Net Application 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gfincati

Technical User
Dec 15, 2000
US
The New.Net Application is on my computer in Windows 2000. I have heard it is not good to have it there - should I get rid of it? What does it do? Help??

It seems it is installed as part of bearshare. I;m currently searching bearshare.net to find out more information.

It added a value to the registry in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
New.net Startup
rundll32 E:\WINNT\NEWDOT~2.DLL,NewDotNetStartup

and created keys called
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\New.net
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\New.net
and added vales to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\WinSock2\Parameters\NameSpace_Catalog5\Catalog_Entries\000000000003
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\WinSock2\Parameters\NameSpace_Catalog5\Catalog_Entries\000000000003
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2\Parameters\NameSpace_Catalog5\Catalog_Entries\000000000003

I'm still researching it, but I haven't decided if it absolutely bad or just a nusance. I'm going to unistall bear share and see if it goes away. If not I'll use the add/remove in Control Panel.

I'll try to get back when I have some more information

I believe this program apparantly places web pages on the browser without your request. It does not seem to do any other thing bad - let me know what you find out

I have it on 98 and i cant get rid of it. I would get the error "rundll32" when i would s tart up cause the lil bastard was in the start up so i ran msconfig and took it out but it wont let me uinstall it..and i cant delete the .dll NEWDOTNET3_15.DLL

I ran the bearshare uninstaller, but it did not get ride of new.net Then I ran the net.now unistaller throught the control panel add/remove programs applet and it did uninstall and clean up the registry.

The bearshare installation program does give you the option of not installing new.net(along with savenow which also seems to uninstall cleanly through the control panel). I suppose bearshare should be commended for at least telling you waht it's doing and letting you choose not to inatsll these things, and I suppose they have to pay for the service they provide to the user for free. It makes me wonder, though, if other "free" programs do stuff like this and not tell you.

new.net has a page at which explains how to get rid of it.

savenow info can be found at
(if that URL didn't get munged)

Hope this helps.

I have it on windows ME as well and I can't get rid of it this frustrates me to the fullest since it displays error 'rundll32' every time I boot up affecting the stability of my PC until it eventually crashes.

h0laman and Aramoz, I don't know much about 98 or ME as I went straight from win95/OSR2 to W2k. I would check the add/remove programs applet in the control panel to see if New.net is there. If it is try to run the uninstaller and see if that fixes you up. If not you could check for the registery entries I listed above and try to remove it manually. If you are not comfortable editing your registry talk to your local geek and ask if they will do it.

Good advice xrayecho. I also run win2k (previously had win98se and never had the New. Net Application). With win2k I ran the remove program and it worked.

this is for hOLaman, I had new.net in my Win98 and the only way to get rid of this is:
1 download the Ad-aware Release 5.5 (CNET.com)
2 Install it
3 Run the program:
a. select "scan registry"
b. "Scan Now"
c. "Continue"
d. select all (I had 13)
e. "Backup"(recommend)
f. "Continue"(on the end I got message "Previous Winsock2
configuration has been restored"?)
4 Restart computer.

It worked for me , hope it helps you.

Sixtyseisdedos.

Hmm I MAY be wrong, but I once heard Ad-Aware is also spyware...

Like I said, I could be wrong!

Ad-Aware is not spyware. One easy way to know this is to have a firewall installed that monitors outgoing traffic, like ZoneAlarm. Black Ice Defender, on the other hand, does a fine job of monitoring incoming traffic, but does not monitor outgoing traffic.

Checking the log of the firewall software will tell you what has attempted to send traffic back out to other sites. Ad-Aware does not.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen.
Don't pee down my back and tell me it's raining.

Ad- Aware is not the same as adware , i'm trying to help not to confuse people, your wellcome .
Sixty.

I was cleaning out old programs and found Save Now and New.net applications on my computer. I got rid of Bearshare ages ago and tried to remove these just now, but neither of them would uninstall in add/remove programs. I want them gone. Does anyone know how to remove these from Windows ME? Please get back to me as soon as possible.

to opentohelp!!!::)
check 3 messages above and install the Ad-Aware and you'll get rid of those couple o enemies.

SixtyseisdedosLOL

Has anbody found that they lose DNS because of this application?

I was messing with a client's machine tonight and I got them a perfect dialup networking connection except that it could not resolve names.

Anyone else had this experience?

the new.net application redirects DNS so that you can see new.net client sites, amongst other things. You need to go to the page referenced above to ge the uninstall instructions, then you'll likely have to reconfigure DNS on the client.

It seems this comes with windows xp as well, I installed xp and then removed it after some serious problems with no support. Anyway, it left this and "save now" and "Ezulamain" (another pain in the ...) behind. Get rid of all of them.

OK. I just ridded myself of this problem not 5 minutes ago. I am running win98 2nd ed.Found it while removing RealPlayer(for all those out there that read this,RP is bad). Anyways,ran into it maybe a half hour ago when I went in to check and make sure all the programs that came along with it were gone. That's where I saw it. I came here looking for an answer. I saw xrayechos response. I went into add/remove programs,uninstalled on the first go. It sure doesn't seem to be this easy for the majority of people that run into it though. I hope this post helps someone. Someone really ought to hack the carriers that are spreading this darn thing around and show the industry in general that adware and spyware will not be tolerated.

Should you require further assistance, I recommend that you contact New.net's support staff directly. We will be able to correct any problems being experienced with our plug-in.

I assure you that we are not spyware in anyway. The next version of Ad Aware that is scheduled to be released on Monday will no longer remove our plug-in due to these findings.

If you need assistance uninstalling our plug-in, you may either use Add/Remove Programs:

Or you may follow the registry removal instructions here:

Leonard Amabile
Director of Customer Care
New.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back