Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Intel takes 25 Minutes to Boot! 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

werD420

Technical User
Sep 14, 2004
US
Hey all!
Im building a PC for a friend and have decided to go with an intel chipset this time rather than AMD which is what I normally use. This appears to be my downfall.

OK The Specs are as follows:
Motherboard : ABIT IS7-V2
Processor : Intel 2.93G
HD : Maxtor 60G
Memory : 512MB Ultra
Video: NVidia XFX 5600 AGP 8X Card
Memorex DVD Burner
ASUS CD Player
Power up 400W Power Supply

---Here is my problem---

The computer boots all self test come up fine.

At the point that the PC goes to boot from the HD it sits there. It has the flashing dash for 10 minutes. The screen goes black for a second then a large white DOS progress bar appears at the bottom of the screen. This bar remains there for a good 10-15 minutes. The bar gets about halfway across and then the computer boots into windows XP

I have tried adjusting all jumper settings and removing all drives but the HD and I still get the same result!!

By the way, i did say to fdisk and format in fat32. But, when you go to install windows xp, its best to let windows format the drive in NTFS. This was my way of making sure the hard drive is ok, figure if you can format it fat32 and then format it NTFS its likely ok.

In the meantime i have re-installed the second h drive and all is still well.

And i DO have one suspect which i forgot to mention. That would be the 40 gig Samsung Spinrite h drive. Its only 5400 speed but i am positive that wouldnt affect things anywhere near that much, for sure. With the setup i had it even took half a minute to get to dev mgr when i clicked on it, so the 5400 vs 7200 spin doesnt make that big a difference.
However, maybe there is something wrong with the hard drive. That is something i have to check out. I have a prog called "spinrite" to do that, so i will report back.
good luck to you.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Thanks alot everybody... It looks like turning off IDE Master BUS and reinstalling Windows worked like a charm, System is moving faster than I could of dreamed right now.

Thank you again for all your help I was getting ready to blow it up!!

Thanks To Garebo For Posting all his valuable info its nice to know that someone else has been in this same boat>
And you might be right garebo, I think its timeto revert to Good ol FDisk lol Thanks

Good for you!!

You could even try turning ide bus master back on. Im pretty sure it wont affect your install and make it slow or anything else. And if it does something it wont mess things up like they were, very sure of that.
Or you can leave it but just remember, one day you may have to turn it back on.
Thats the reason i am suggesting you do it now, while you have it there, just to be safe.
Your call but thats what i would do.
YOu can event set a restore point first in case you dont like it, but i doubt anything neg will happen anyway.

I have a tutorial on bios and heres what it says on ide bus mastering:

IDE Bus Master Support

Common Options : Enabled, Disabled

Quick Review

This BIOS feature is a misnomer since it doesn't actually control the bus mastering ability of the onboard IDE controller. It is actually a toggle for the built-in driver that allows the onboard IDE controller to perform DMA (Direct Memory Access) transfers.

When this BIOS feature is enabled, the BIOS loads up the 16-bit busmastering driver for the onboard IDE controller. This allows the IDE controller to transfer data via DMA, resulting in greatly improved transfer rates and lower CPU utilization in real mode DOS and during the loading of other operating systems.

When this BIOS feature is disabled, the BIOS will not load up the 16-bit busmastering driver for the onboard IDE controller. The IDE controller will then transfer data via PIO.

Therefore, it is recommended that you enable IDE Bus Master Support. This greatly improves the IDE transfer rate and reduces the CPU utilization during the booting process or when you are using real mode DOS. Users of DOS-based disk utilities like Norton Ghost can expect to benefit a lot from this feature.

Basically i was saying that but without the exact scientific background, but there you have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back