Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Intel takes 25 Minutes to Boot! 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

werD420

Technical User
Sep 14, 2004
US
Hey all!
Im building a PC for a friend and have decided to go with an intel chipset this time rather than AMD which is what I normally use. This appears to be my downfall.

OK The Specs are as follows:
Motherboard : ABIT IS7-V2
Processor : Intel 2.93G
HD : Maxtor 60G
Memory : 512MB Ultra
Video: NVidia XFX 5600 AGP 8X Card
Memorex DVD Burner
ASUS CD Player
Power up 400W Power Supply

---Here is my problem---

The computer boots all self test come up fine.

At the point that the PC goes to boot from the HD it sits there. It has the flashing dash for 10 minutes. The screen goes black for a second then a large white DOS progress bar appears at the bottom of the screen. This bar remains there for a good 10-15 minutes. The bar gets about halfway across and then the computer boots into windows XP

I have tried adjusting all jumper settings and removing all drives but the HD and I still get the same result!!

Also Bootvis would not install properly but it was removed

Ive also attempted to use intel frequncy analyzer and was flag that it was not a supported processor... Just because I had the wrong version of the program

I'm gonna strip mine down bare, unhook the cd burner, etc, etc, see if that helps.
Then i am going to uninstall some progs, see if i can get to the bottom of this.
These all might be good suggestions for you as well.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Im in the same boat please let me know if you find anything out

WerD420, can i suggest you disable or unhook what you dont absolutely need to get your computer running. Maybe you can get the install done that way and add the other items in after. Course you could just wait til i do the same and report back,lol.

Also, it may be a new power supply, but if you have another power supply, you could try that. Win xp is very fussy about hardware and some new power supplies are made very very cheaply so that the 400 watts means very little.
In my case i am using a good quality enermax so that isnt my problem, pretty sure on that.

iVE GOT my system down to basically nothing now and its still taking its own sweet time... I have a 550 Watt power supply that I think Ill try but definately wating to hear what you find out too

That was my initial thought but Abit says that if you unplug the hard drive and it says no disk found or if it will boot to a cd then its software not them

Im thinking that if win xp will install its not likely a bad mobo.
I will strip my machine down tomorrow and get back to you.
What about software on your machine?

ive been uninstalling one program at a time and restarting i just tried reinstalling service pack 1 with no luck. But its 30 minutes for every restart so its taking a long time
do you think that it could possibly be related to a windows service? maybe something that should be enabled in the recovery console Ive been reviewing the list of services but im kinda at a loss

werD420,
You did plug in the P4 (4 pin) power connector that goes next to the ATX power connector on the mobo? Right?

Also, did this hdd come from another PC with the os previously installed on it?

Yes the 4 pin connecter is in, Windows boots it just takes 25 minutes

No the HDD was brand new I got it just for this PC I did also try a HDD from my computer just to make sure it wasnt the HDD and I got the same result

I just got it to boot in safe mode its showing each file its loading... it loads one sits for a minute or two then on to the next its still not done just thought id let yall in

werD420,
Double check the bios again and make sure internal cache is enabled and boot virus scan is disabled.

Have you tried setting it to Load Fail Safe from the bios?

The bios settings on this motherboard dont give the option to enable or disable caching, but it does show that the cache size is 256K

*** I just loaded failsafe defaults
the computer jumped from bios post to blank screen 1 minute
showed windows xp professional loading screen (first time its done that) 5 minutes
loaded windows

19 minutes successfully shaved it seems that bios something may have been the majority of the problem but im still investigating ill keep posting

It appears that the only change this made was to disable IDE BUS master in integrated periphrials "OnChip IDE Devices"

Both On Chip Controllers are enabled

..?

At risk of parroting the above; I too would suspect the motherboard, possibly the processor but that is less likely.

After ruling out the cables, cache and DMA settings and stripping the machine to it's essentials.. you aren't left with much else.

I wouldn't sully your choice of processor either, P4's are my personal pick at this moment in time also.

ok, im not being a thread hogger, werD420 asked me to post this info.
I have stripped my system down to the minimum and the result is the same. I have taken out all apps and disconnected the dvdrom and second hard drive.
Still boots slow, although, it does boot a bit faster, maybe down to 5 min from 8 min. but then again i messed with some bios settings that you may or may not have. Seems the mobo i have is set up for overclockers as i have a ton of settings there but i havent touched any of them to decrease bootup time.lol. That would not be smart computing.

Instead i am trying a new 80 gig maxtor with an 8 mb cache, see what happens with that. If same thing then i will say my prob is likely the mobo. Still, i would have to check a few other possibilities first. Disconnect the floppy for one thing as i forgot to do that. All i can say is
who knows" as win xp is very fussy with hardware.

werD420, i have found the answer for me and it was a re-install. Boots up faster than i have ever seen now.
Unfortunately, though, it means a complete re-install.

I should explain a bit. I have had this new mobo for a few months now. And every time i wanted to mess around i built this computer, a few minutes at a time. Finally i installed
win xp pro and then some other programs. This all took a couple months. So for me to say what went wrong, i cant.
I do recall that on install of win xp pro i did something a bit different, added some language, and maybe something else a bit different, not sure.
Then i added the usual, firewall, office prog, winrar, goback things like that. I prolly left it for a few weeks and one day i turned it on and all was slow. So i cant remember what i did wrong.
The only result of this is that perhaps you may want to consider re-installing from scratch as i did.
If you dont have another hard drive to work with, perhaps what you could do is simply run an online scan for viruses and trojans at, say, trendmicro. try to get virus and trojan free, dont worry about spyware too much.

Then use any boot floppy, like win98 boot disk and fdisk and format your hard drive and start all over, using format and fdisk from your boot disk. Now win xp will or can format the drive for you, but i add this extra step just as a way of trying to ensure that nothing from your old setup will come along for the ride to your new setup. So fdisk and format in fat32.
There are other, better ways but i believe a simple fdisk and format will do most of the time.
Then do the usual standard win xp install, dont do anything special or different and you should be ok.
Also, set up the basics and any pci cards after you have installed win xp, just the basics to get going. In my opinion, this would involve taking everything out of the case and starting over from scratch on our desktop but its your call on that. That way you can check each and every part for one thing. I didnt, but i did take out all extras.
After win xp installs and if the boot time is normal then add one item at a time and turn off and boot up, not just reboot.
Hopefully all will be well or you will catch the culprit doing it this way.
I am now going to add in any needed software so dev mgr and i are happy, then my extra hardware and then progs. I will report back on that but it will take me some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back