Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Intel takes 25 Minutes to Boot! 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

werD420

Technical User
Sep 14, 2004
US
Hey all!
Im building a PC for a friend and have decided to go with an intel chipset this time rather than AMD which is what I normally use. This appears to be my downfall.

OK The Specs are as follows:
Motherboard : ABIT IS7-V2
Processor : Intel 2.93G
HD : Maxtor 60G
Memory : 512MB Ultra
Video: NVidia XFX 5600 AGP 8X Card
Memorex DVD Burner
ASUS CD Player
Power up 400W Power Supply

---Here is my problem---

The computer boots all self test come up fine.

At the point that the PC goes to boot from the HD it sits there. It has the flashing dash for 10 minutes. The screen goes black for a second then a large white DOS progress bar appears at the bottom of the screen. This bar remains there for a good 10-15 minutes. The bar gets about halfway across and then the computer boots into windows XP

I have tried adjusting all jumper settings and removing all drives but the HD and I still get the same result!!

What kind of cable for the HD? And where is it plugged in and what else is on the cable with it?
This is the kind of problem that I would associate with noise on the cable, where it is having to retry time after time to get good data.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

i just bought a set of round IDE cables from a place online they seem pretty legit, they have some hefty insulation on them Do round IDE have a history?

Not that I'm aware of. For testing purposes I would suggest an 80 conductor ribbon cable , called high density, that puts a grounded conductor between all the signal cables. That cuts down on the reflected signals that are known as noise.

It may not affect anything, but not knowing for certain what you have makes one wonder.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

werd420,
Look in the bios to insure that the cache is enabled.

It could well be caching. I turned off all caching in my BIOS once when I had a problem. My PC then also took around 20 mins to boot and also ran like a snail on mogadon! (It turned out i had a bad disk!)

Things I would check first:

1) Make sure Windows is using DMA for your hard drive

2) The RAM in the BIOS should be configured in dual-channel (400MHz x 2) if it's a P4

3) Install any chipset drivers that you can find on Abit's website for your motherboard

4) Install Intel's Application Accelerator, which can be found on their site.

When you formatted the drive, did you select FAT32 or NTFS? Did you format it from the XP setup screen?

Round cables are fine, as long as they have the 80-conductor rating.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

By the way, as much as i do prefer AMD, i dont agree with your first statement. Nothing wrong with intel. Both make good cpu's.
Course maybe you meant you are more familiar with AMD cpu's.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Thanks Everyone for helping but im still having the same problem!

How do I check for DMA?

Memory is set properly

I have installed the most up to date bios from ABIT and chipset drivers as well

Yes I used Windows Setup for install and format I formatted in NTFS file system

And you re right Garebo It is definately a familiarity thing lol

> How do I check for DMA?

Well, assuming that you have Windows XP, you would go into Device Manager and click into the properties of the Primary IDE channel (or the secondary, depending on which one it's using) under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Thanks again but i still seem to be experiencing the same thing

Windows is set up to use DMA if available.

Thanks for the article too but it seems that this problem occurs before windows services begin to load..

It happens before I am even allowed to hit F8 to boot into safe mode What like this have you seen on AMD possibly something similar is going on here, Im up to date with intel

I have the 848P Chipset which Intels Application Accelerator doesn't appear to be compatible with

Any help is appreciated

drop in a different video card, my guess is thats the issue. also make sure the bios is set correctly for video pci/agp.

Im having the same prob on another new install, not gonna give details as i'm not a thread-crasher. Im only mentioning this as i see there are lots of people having this prob, both here and other fora.
And, i thought that since win xp is a lot harder on hardware right at the start then if it did allow a setup to go ahead, well,the hardware must be ok. Which then leads me to believe we should be looking in the direction of the bios and software.
But with so many complaints im starting to think that we can put hardware right back into the list of usual suspects.
I've even heard people talk about bad hard drives, but i imagine most bios now have the smartdrive setup to enable, which is supposed to tell us if a hard drive is failing.

I forgot this:

Right click on my computer\manage\event viewer\system.
Now tell us the event # of any errors. Errors are the red marks, not the question marks. Such as event 7000, like that.

My processor box says Intel Celeron D 2.93 The Boot Screen Shows Intel R 2.93 as I said I have an 848P Chipset could this be related?

Also The CD Driver I have has chipset driver 6.1.1.1002 but the cd is scratched Abits site has 6.1.1.1001 listed for this motherboard..?

4-10 7023 event errors
5 20035 source=Rasman
1 36 source = w32Time
1 20063 Rasman

I have installed antispyware beta and avg free but Ive been having this issue since before that

I dont think either one of them would cause it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back