Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new & confused: prtnr.mail 3, msg.lamp programming 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

cat5guru

Technical User
Oct 11, 2003
US
I hope someone can help. I was handed a partner II R3
with partner mail R3, recently relocated. Several problems
from VM that I have managed to correct. All that is left
is this: the message lights are not turning on when a new
message is present. I can use Ftr 09 and verify that they work. All 4 ports of the 206 module will dial out correctly. All 4 ports on the VM sys. indicate good.
I understand that the lights are controlled by the VM, but
don't see any way of making sure the strings are present.
Does anyone have a clue?

Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks,
Cat5guru

The message lamp string is built into the software and there is nothing you can "tweak" to adjust that.

However, late lamp lighting is often a sign of a too-busy voicemail. One thing you could try is to back off the extensions in hunt group 7 (#505) from 4 to 3, leaving the last port extension hooked up, but not in the group. That will free the 4th port to do notifications, and not wait to be free for an extended period. This is a bit radical, and usually reserved for extreme circumstances.

Have you checked to see if you have dialtone on port 4? It's a simple thing, but line cords do go bad.... And port 4 is the only one doing those notifications.....

392 Makes a good point about the line cords I always check for dialtone on the vm side of the line cord where it plugs into the ports on the vm.

if you have a phone system manual go through the vm progams to be sure you have everything correct

if you dont have a manual go to FAQ tab at the top of this page and there is a link to avaya and you can down load either a zip or pdf file of the manual.

Thanks to both of you.
I don't think that it is due to the volume of calls since
there was no activity besides myself. I told my boss that
I would like to change the line cords ( just in case ).
Maybe I was on the right track with that. I believe all is
set up properly otherwise. I'll take it all to heart. I was
pretty sure there was nothing in programming for the lights. Good suggestions to check.
Thanks again,
Cat5guru

If you really do take the 4th port out of hunt group 7, you'll need to set its intercom dial tone to machine and either remove all the CO lines from it (which will prevent it from doing any outcalling), or set all lines to NO ring and the auto line select to be Intercom first, THEN the CO lines.

You could also connect a multiline display phone to the station port that runs the 4th port, and connect the voice mail port to the the AUX jack of the multiline. You can observe the activity of the port by watching the line keys and LCD of the phone. Or use a butt set to monitor the activity with a t-adapter and modular adapter.

Thanks for the info TTT. That may be very useful, and I think they have an extra phone available too. You mentioning the lines makes me also wonder if I should check
the automatic line selection for that port. I'm not sure
when I'll get back to this job, but I'll let all know what
the fix was.
Thanks
cat5guru

When you put the port into hunt group 7, several things happen automatically, that you don't need to change, and may not even be apparent. The auto line select will automaticaly become intercom first, then the lines that are assigned to the extension. The intercom dial tone will automatically be changed to machine (sounds like outside dial tone). Even though the lines look like immediate ring through centralized telephone programming, they wont ring at the port until they are presented via the VMS hunt delay setting, and the call distribution group settings.

So, you don't need to make any changes unless you decide to take the port out of hunt group 7, but still keep it connected to the Partner system.

are you sure its a partner 11 ?

on partner and partner plus you need rel 3.1 or better processor to light the message waitng lights

Actually, the message lamps will light & turn off with R3, that's a function of the vmail and the available lamp feature found since R1. What's lost in the pre-3.1 is certain integration features and coverage features. But yeah, missed the 3.0 altogether.... Upgrade if that's the case!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back