Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New 11.1.2.4 Application Server. Issues with 7071 access. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lleeNC

Vendor
Aug 29, 2018
US
All,

Trying to migrate a customer to 11.1.2.4 application server installed in a VM environment (VMware ESXI 7.0.3u). Having issues where I cannot access 7071 but I can access 7070.

I have tried restarting webcontrol and tom-cat through Linux. I also tried installing an older version 11.1.1 and same issue. Starting to think this might be an issue with the customer's network?

In both instances I'm seeing the Apache HTTPD service failing. If I pull up the status, it shows that it is inactive. I don't think this is the cause of the issue as I've seen this on other machines I've initialized.

Going to try and load it on my personal VMware ESXI (same version) to see if I can replicate it.

Anyone come across this before?

What's the issue you're having? Is there an error message when connecting? Do you get the login page but it won't connect?

Just an update on this,

We tried duplicating the issue on our home lab VMware ESXI (same version) and couldn't replicate the issue. The issue is not Apache HTTPD (this is normal to fail it seems).

The issue remains and we don't know why it won't work on the customer's VMware. We can access 7070 (although it won't let us login, it just hangs) and it won't even load 7071. We've asked their network team to see if 7070/7071 and other ports are being blocked and they stated they are not blocking any ports. Same VLAN.

You can try this workaround if you have access to Root.
Change the 7071 port to something else, like 7072

[ServerEdition]# cd /etc/sysconfig/
[ServerEdition]# cat webcontrol
# Web control interface configuration

export WEBCONTROL_USER=Administrator
export WEBCONTROL_PORT=7071
export WEBCONTROL_PROTOCOL=https
export WEBCONTROL_HOME=/opt/webcontrol
export WEBCONTROL_LOG_DIR=/opt/webcontrol/log
export WEBCONTROL_SESSION_TIMEOUT=600

Service webcontrol restart

Now you should be able to access using 7072

IPOTS

Yea... changing the port from 7071 to 7072 didn't work but I found something else. I did a restart of the webcontrol service and it never started back up again. So I forced it to start and was able to get to 7071 but it's really slow and eventually just stops responding. I was wondering if this is resource related but they have plenty of resources on the server.

Have an Avaya ticket open to see wth is going on here. I've installed many Application servers via OVA and never came across something like this. And it's not rocket science.

I haven't. I'll try it out as a last resort.

vSphere doesn't use 7071 ( but vRealize (VMware Aria Suite) does ( So the variance from customer to customer may be down to their VMware hosting platform.

There are also Azure services that use 7071.

So it may be that the reasonably unoccupied port Avaya chose several years ago has now started to become to popular which too many other services that can coincide with IP Office deployments.

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

sizbut

I tried changing the port but that didn't make a difference. I'm going to be talking with an Avaya "engineer" today so we'll see what they say.

Avaya hasn't been helpful so far. They kept saying "you may want to open up a ticket with VMware because we don't support 3rd party." I kept pestering them to at least look at the logs, which they will this Thursday... supposedly.

Meanwhile we are trying a few things. Our lab has the same version ESXI 7.0.3u, so we are loading it on there and will be exporting/importing into the customer's ESXI. Going to check the ARP table again and do a netstat scan to see if there are any issues.

@phoneDTC - exact same issue? Like, you can get to 7070 (but not login) and can't get to 7071 at all?

So we were troubleshooting this for 3 hours last night. Avaya was on the meeting with us and said "this should be thick provisioning and not thin" and was really adamant that it should be thick. So we caved and built a new application server but as thick. Same issue. Then they were silent for 30 minutes before leaving, not even saying goodbye. Great support.

This customer is running their VMware ESXI on a R630, which I have had problems with before but it was a server edition (Primary). See below from another post I made,

[highlight #FCE94F]"Just wanted to give another update on this,

So after some extensive testing, I don't think there is an issue with the R640. The issue lies with R11.1.

On a R630/R640, 11.0.4.x will utilize the Bottom four ethernet ports. If you go to 11.1.2.x, then the R630/R640 will utilize a different NIC adapter on the server. It's the one with the two ethernet ports. These servers have a total of 6 ethernet ports. 2 on one NIC adapter and 4 on a different NIC. Not sure if this was intended. I've tested this out on three different servers.

Hope this helps."[/highlight]

I wonder if this could also affect VMware ESXI Application Servers on a R630?

@phoneDTC - What type of server are you running yours on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back