Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networker backup problems with NT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fernandezd

IS-IT--Management
Jan 30, 2002
US
Hi,
I am always getting backup probelms with NT.
I have a legato 6.0.2 server in UNIX (solaris 2.6).
I am attempting to backup NT 4.0 (SP6A) it always come up with the following Error......
"save: RPC error: Unable to send"

I have tried to change server settings with no change to this error.
HELP PLEASE

Is there a firewall between the server & client?
Do they have the same ports configured?

StefanS

Hi

No Firewall at all. All in same LAN.

Ports are unrestricted at all. they are default as per the Networker install.

How do I check the Ports are open in NT 4.0 ( i am a unix guy)

Thanks

generally this error has to do with namse resolution. Make sure the Legato server can ping the long (FQDN) and the short name (server name) successfully. To check on NT to see if ports are listening, do netstat -an |find ":7". Also, try running rpcinfo -p SERVERNAME from a DOS prompt

Hi,
I have checked RPCINFO both ways and nslookup. All OK.
Both servers have hosts files with the others server name etc. DNS is correct I checked it.

I am checking the Network setup on these servers to see whether they are set to Full duplex or Half Duplex.
This may also be the cause....

I will check the netstat command....

Thank You all for your help.

HI.

Changed newtwork card to 100MB Full duplex.
checked RPCINFO AND NETSTAT AND NSLOOKUP.
Run nsrck -F and nsrim -X

Backups still fail on this server... This month I have had 6 % success on this server......

Any comments PLEASE

Do you have Anti virus software running on the client and/or server?

Are you running Open file manager on these NT machines? According to Legato support, they seem to think it has a lot to do with the open file manager. Also on your Solaris system type in nsswitch.conf and see which resolution you are using first. This enables you to switch between DNS and the hosts file. Make it look at DNS first then look at the Hosts file. Hope this helps.

Hi and Thanks.

No Virus checking software is installed in this machine.
In Solaris the nsswtich.conf file is set to files dns.
All IP addresses are in the hosts file and correct.

The thing is that servers like this one are backing up all the time. This one backs up the C: (come times) but not the D:

Any Ideas.... ?? :)
FernandezD
At your service.
Unix systems Admin

How about routes? Can the client and server reach each other in 0-2 hops? Is the D drive local to that client? Make sure that you have both short and long names in the hosts files (myserver and myserver.mydomain.com)

Hi thanks.

Well both can reach each other in one hop.
Both have correct full hosts files

Disks are internal to the server.

Any IDEAS ???? FernandezD
At your service.
Unix systems Admin

RPC errors are generally caused by TCP/IP related issues.
But if you've look into that already try another saveset definition and use standard directives.

there's something wrong with your DNS. this is a name resolution problem.

4 steps you need to do:

1. add the client's IP and hostname in the NW server host file.

2. make sure to define also the fully-qualified hostname of the client in the client definition "aliases" field. so define both short hostname and fully-qualified hostname in the "aliases" field.

3. in the client, make sure to define the NW server and NW storage nodes in the clients host file, lmhost file(if using lmhost).

4. make sure that the NW server is correctly listed in the NW client servers list file. it's in \Program files\nsr\res\ dir called servers(if windows) or /nsr/res dir if unix.

hope this helps...

Hi

You can start solving the problem by looking at what you've got : "save: RPC error: Unable to send"

Thus, you can't start remote programs and can't even connect to that machine. This implies a connection problem.

1) Check the port settings in /nsrla.res. I should be fine by default unless someone changed them.

2) On the server, see that the client's ip address and name is in the /nsr/res/servers file. The same on the clients' side. (Thus you would be able to ping both ways on the servernames)

3) Backup services on both servers are started. Including Portmap service on NT

Hope this helps...

George

Hi all.

Thankx for all your help.

1) DNS resolution is ok no problems there
2) all servers are listed on the hosts file in Unix and NT Servers
3) BK server has been put into the servers file in the client machine
4) nsrla.res is unchanged.

This problem is bugging me....

What is the PORTMAP service on NT ???

Thanks Again FernandezD
At your service.
Unix systems Admin

i would also suggest to look at legato tech bulletin 299 regarding tcp/ip problems.

this explains amongst others your problem.

Thanks.

I have looked at it before and found DNS is ok.
I have changed other stuff and finally it may work..

Thanks will keep you all posted..

FernandezD
At your service.
Unix systems Admin

Have you checked your network-adapter on NT host? Do not select auto-detect. Select the same speed as your Networker server - best = 100 full duplex

Fekser

All network adapters are at 100 FULL

Does anybody use Nortel 5000 series Switches in there network with networker?? FernandezD
At your service.
Unix systems Admin

Have you tried to push a backup from the client to the server, yet? I don't see that here.

Basically, lauch the Networker user gui from the client, mark a couple of files, then start the backup.

If this works, you almost definitly have a DNS issue that you are overlooking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back