Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network card trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojo11

Programmer
Feb 2, 2003
US
I just did a fresh Windows XP pro installation using a Gigabyte GA-7VA-C KT333 motherboard. Everything works well except for the Linksys 100tx network card I installed. It just connects and disconnects every second. It goes off for 1 second, flashes on for an eight of a second, then back off. WHen you look at the lights on the card, they only go on for an instant then shut off for a second, then repeats forever until I disable the card. I tried replacing the card with a new one and get the same results. I tried using PCI1, PCI2, and PCI3 and same results. I went into the bios and changed the AUTO settings for the IRQ to 10, 11, and 12 and same results. THe Windows XP Pro installation found the card and installed during OS install. I even installed the driver that came with the card.
ANy ideas?/

Thanks

You cheched everything on you cars and PC, but did you try to replace the UTP cable, or at least test it?

[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, excpect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC! -
Marc[/sub]

If you configure the interrupts manually in BIOS than it is likely you need to use the software configuration utility for the NIC and set the same interrupt on the board.

Similarly in Device Manager you need to specify that a manual configuration of interrupts was made.

To be honest with you I suspect as does marcs41 that the cable is at fault. But without knowing the Model of the Linksys NIC you are using you should be aware that the XP install will place series 4 drivers on any Linksys board and these need to be update to series 5 if you in fact have the newer board.

Thanks, I will double check the cable. It is the Linksys 100tx 10/100 model.

At last count Linksys sold 7 different models using 4 different chipsets of Lan Adapters called the same thing. On their support site you will notice they have had to resort to pictures so that you can try and decipher which driver is appropriate.

One "gotcha" about the Linksys 10/100 NIC is that an XP install will use a very outdated Linksys OEMxx.inf file for the board. Linksys used three different chipsets and seven revisions of the board yet kept the same name.

For any recent manufacture of the NIC (or the NC100 version) you will be better off using the WHQL reference drivers from ADMTek, the chipset manufacturer. The reference drivers can be downloaded from this site:

If you get the same problem with other network cards then it is very likely your motherboard unless you have a riser card which could contain the fault. If you know any electricians they could check to see if the power to the PCI slots is interrupted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back