Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Assessment assistance please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 12, 2007
US
Hi All, azjeepgirl sent me an Avaya tech tip on using packet capture software to run my own NA, in an attempt to isolate the drop call issue (sorry if you're not familiar with this problem of the former 573dawn's, most here are). I have set up a PC with wireshark at my main location. I port mirrored the DS port to the PC, and I can merrily see all the packets flying by. However, since drops from the main location are almost unheard of, and primarily occur between the HWY & 21MM locations on a transfer, should I be mirroring the port that the HWY connects to rather than the port that the Main Site DS connects to?

Thanks! Dawn

Regarding network assessment - pay somebody to do it and then when it doesnt work you have recourse to rollock some poor techy.

ACE - Avaya Certified Expert
ACI - Avaya Certified Instructor

I am with puregold. There is nothing better than someone else to blame and yell at when its not working.

Chris
ACA- Implement IP Office

Ok, I am sad to report that although the B8ZS conversion went well, it didn't fix the problem. I am going to drop the Hwy to G729 and see if that helps <sigh>...

G729 didn't help either...I;ve started a new thread looking for a good 3rd party to do an NA but if anyone has any other thoughts, I'm listening!

We have a data department who does the NA's for us. What they do is load software on each end of the connection and the software floods the line with voice traffic and sees what is can handle. they do all this out of hours so there is no interuption in service. if you are interested look at my signature and go to the web site for my company.

Kevin Wing
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

Hi All, I have some mor information on my drops. I was watching status during test calls, and i hope this makes sense:

If I call the Main, and have them transfer me to the 21 (the ususal destination for drops) I don't drop, and I can see tha call in both status monitors, the Main and the 21mm.

If I call the Hwy (the originating source for almost all drops) and have them transfer me to the 21, not only will the call drop after about 1:30, but the call vanishes from the Hwy status screen as soon as it is picked up at the 21.

Same if I call the 21 and have them transfer me to either the Hwy or the Main, I can see the call in both status screens. Only at the Hwy does the call vanish upon pickup at the 21. Food for thought...

yes they can do it remotely. the way we do it is you download the software to a PC on each end and then the software connects to us and we set up the tests and it then sends us a report when it is done.

Kevin Wing
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

CQ39306

Call between remote site drops after 90 seconds on ISDN line

MT_RELEASE_2Q08_4.1

3-Available

CQ58088

External calls into PRI forwarded to remote SCN site drops after 90 seconds.

MT_RELEASE_2Q08_4.1

4-Proven

We have some software that can do the same thing. I have some clients in the Kansas City area but I don't think we have done anything that far south.

kurthansen, how does that link work? I put in the CQ number and hit the button, but nothing happens?

Thanks, Dawn

Ok, figured out how to get the CQ number to come up, but is it an article? Where do I go from here?

Dawn,

What I did was just typed in drop in the box under headline.

That gave me those 2 that look like they might have to do with your issue. It says what version of software the issue was found in and what private build Avaya put out to fix the issue and when the public build is supposed to be released to fix the issue. That is all no other information. I am afread you will have to contact the BP to have them open a ticket with Avaya. Avaya will want a trace of the call that gets dropped and the configs. Then they send it up the support tier til they figure out they have a private build to fix the issue and give the login information to your BP to download.

Atleast that is how I do it with my customers.

Ok I just looke alittle closer and it says that the fix was in 4.1 Q2 Maint release so you could try it to see if it fixes your problems.

It will not because the last version is 4.1 Q1 !!!
Q2 will be the nest release !!!

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Voice Services Management

Just an update for everyone following this thread.....
Dawn(the original poster for this thread) cannot log in to the forum again for some reason, she wanted to give everyone a heads up that she's not ignoring anyone and appreciates the help given thus far..

The problems she's having are also being posted on another forum that she still has access to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back