Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NetWare 5.1 Slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodwins

MIS
Feb 24, 2003
CA
I built a new 5.1 server.

Asus P4B533 - Celeron 1.7 GHz - 1.0Gig DDR - 120 Gig IDE 7200H/D - 10/100 3Com 905B-TX

Even though everything is working fine, I'm finding the speed of transfer is very slow. Ghosting(Imaging)a Lab of computers took 2 hours where it should only take 10-20 mins. I tested the cable runs and the NICs in all computers, everything fine.

Could it be the way I created the volumes?

1 x 0.200 Gig DOS Partition
1 x 119.8 Gig NetWare Partition

4.0 Gig SYS:<vol>
60.0 Gig DATA:<vol>
56.0 Gig DATA2:<vol>

Any Ideas?

What Service Pack are you running? Have you got File Caching switched off? Type SET CLIENT FILE CACHING ENABLED = OFF at the console.

Also, have you got any virus scanning software running? You also have to bear in mind that creating a ghost image always takes longer than it does to bring the image down to a PC.

-----------------------------------------------------
&quot;It's true, its damn true!&quot;
-----------------------------------------------------

I have Service Pack 5.

File cashing was enabled, I'll try setting it to OFF and try that for a while.

thanks.

Hi,

Also check for available Free Block on all volumes. A low Free Blcok count can make for a sluggish server.

Lou

I made sure File Caching was switched off and available Free Blocks are far from low.

I Ghosted one station and still, the slowest I've seen in any of my networks. These are C700/128/20 systems, and use to be connected to an older Dell (PIII550/256) with about 300Mb/s Ghosting speed. Now it is lucky to get 90-120Mb/s.

The users are not noticing any problems because it does work, but I still think something is flakey with it.

I was just giving the ok to put in a New Dell Server over the summer, I would still like to find out what the problem is with the one I built?????

What protocol are you using to connect? What kind of switch or hub do you use?

If you are using IPX, ensure you have NLSP enabled.

If you are using IP, ensure you have SLP setup correctly.

Provogeek

Saving the world, one network at a time
[rofl][rofl]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back