Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netscape unable to create Network Socket Connection 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

KA2729

Technical User
Apr 4, 2001
US
Hi all, have a small business network situation(2 computers) running Win98. Both computers see each other and print to a shared printer. Previously both computers could access the internet using a LAN connection through local cable company. Now one computer is unable to get to the internet. Getting message "Netscape was unable to create network socket connection. There may be insufficient system resources or the network may be down." Neither situation is true. I have removed and reinstalled the TCP/IP connections. There was an install of McAfee VirusScan and Firewall that created all kinds of problems but I have gone and manually removed all those files and we have been able to access the internet since then. There does not appear to be anything else that was done to the computer but when trying to access the Internet with either Netscape or Internet Explorer there is no connection. It's like Netscape can't see the connect. Any thoughts, please?

I have got the same problem.
Network socket not found.

Have you solved it????

Madann

Your problem sounds like it's being caused by a corrupted registry entry.

In Windows 98, you can try this...

1. Make a backup copy of your registry.
2. Then navigate to H_key_Local_Machine, System, Current Control Set, Services.
3. Delete the Winsock2 folder.
4. Then uninstall dial-up networking and re-install it.

The re-install will recreate the Winsock2 entries in the registry, and you should be back in business.

Very important----> ALWAYS make a backup of your registry before fooling with it, so if something doesn't work as planned you can recover.

Thank you soo much for your post. I couldn't access anything over the internet or ftp. However I could ping. Thank you!

this fix helped out after installing AOL6 on a computer

GL700, you're a SAINT !
This is the second time I'm dealing with this problem. 1st time haven't found any solution so had to format (Windows reinstall does not help). This time I found and implemented your words of wisdom: it worked perfectly.
Thumbs up.

Gents, Thank you and to a friend (Glenn) who knew of this site. Gateway ran me around for a week telling me to do a ton of things which did not fix the problem. Thanks to your information I am up and running again.

Thank you GL700 for the fix. I thought it had something to do with the registry but I wasn't sure where to look. You certainly pointed me in the right direction.

Good call GL700. I even tried everything, blew away tcp/ip, nic drivers, ie repair, even installed windows over itself, all to no avail. Saved me a nuke and pave!

Wow! You hit the nail on the head! Thank you so much for the fix! We were on the verge of a format and reload......, but you saved our bacon. Thanks again!

I had already tried everything above including a Windows98 re-install. This worked
where nothing else did!
Thanks!!!

Thanks a million GL700 !!!!!
I deleted the Winsock2 folder, uninstalled and reinstalled DUN and magically my internet connection was up and running again.

This was the second time I experienced the problem. I was advised to reformat the hard drive by my ISP. So I upgraded to a bigger HD and reinstalled Win 98 plus dozens of applications. Everything went fine for 2 weeks, then disaster struck again.

The same problem. I almost put a sledge hammer through the computer. After speaking to the help desk my ISP again advised me to regretably reformat the HD.

I couldn't believe what was happening. So, on my wife's computer, I entered the problem with Google search engine. The first page I opened was the solution from GL700. You little ripper !!! I'm back in business. Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou.

PS What caused the problem to occur? I want to take preventative action so it doesn't happen again.

Hey, this step helped me alot, because I work for an ISP. I cant tell cx to do this with me, so I gave them these steps, and they do it on their own. Works great,, I really should have thought of this on my own..

Excellent. I'm trying to fix this problem since 3 days regorously. Re-installed IE & Netscape and finally Win-98 too. Just followed the above steps as it is. Amazing, its working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back