Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to wipe drive 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sliptdisk

Programmer
Aug 16, 2000
US
I have crashed my hard drive, it would appear, and, I'm told that I need to wipe it and start over. I went to the control panel (Win95) and created the disk under Add/Remove programs. What do i need to do next? Thanks.

Dan

As Mary mentioned, you will need to know the make and model of the modem. I haven't been to that site, but I am sure from there, it would direct you to that companies site where you could get the newest drivers.

28K modem? Sounds like I know what you need for X-Mas...

Terry M. Hoey
th3856@txmail.sbc.com

Ever notice that by the time that you realize that you ran a truncate script on the wrong instance, it is too late to stop it?

Dan,

Do you know what brand of equipment you have in your computer? If you go to device manager in the properties of my computer, then it will at least give you a clue.

Another way to get there is Start - Settings - Control Panel - System.

Click on Device Manager and then click on the plus sign next to your video, modem, sound, and CDROM.

Once know the names, then you go to windrivers and click on the search for Drivers (see left side... I suggest the Advance link)

This will help you pick the device then company. Then it will have a link to the company's download site.

This is a great place to find drivers.

Mary :)

I've downloaded the drivers for my modem and Sound, but, can't seem to locate the one for my CD-ROM(the famous LiteOn brand LTN 202F model) - the mfg's page is telling me that the standard IDE driver for Win95/NT will get it, so, I'm off to find that. I don't see anything in my device manager for a video driver under Sound, Video, and Game Controllers, though - just the Sound and joystick. I'll touch base after I get the CD-ROM handled. Thanks for your patience.

Dan

Dan and Mary: I wrote an article a while back about cleaning up your hard drive. There's some other interesting stuff. Article III at
Hope this helps.

Mary: not everyone has temp in C:\temp, most are actually C:\windows\temp. You've given Dan lots of good information.

Cheers to you both!
techsupportgirl@home.com
Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word

I've been crashin' and burnin' all night and all morning, in a vain attempt to locate the aforementioned CD-ROM driver, so, that's still out there to deal with. Since I didn't find anything listed for video, can anyone tell me what I should do about that? I know the make of the monitor is a VGA, but, I'm slightly confused about this. I'll go to their website and see what I can find.

You're correct, Dreamboat, the file I deleted everything from was the windows/temp, but, I figured that's what Mary must have meant. Thanks for the link, too.

Also, I did go to the site Mary mentioned about the boot disk, but, kept crashing >:-< before I could do anything. We'll see how far I get with the drivers, then go onto that, this morning, provided I can get that far. LOL

Dan

I'm officially stuck. Following the windrivers.com link to the site for the LiteOn LTN 202F, I'm directed to the generic IDE driver, but, I can't seem to locate that. The MS link leads me to some sales pitch for buying hardware. I've downloaded the boot disk, but, am still struggling with this driver issue. Help:-0

Dan

Dan, the boot disk file you downloaded from this site has the generic driver for CDROMs. It probably will work since the links you click on seem to take you to generic disks.

Have you run the bootdisk file? It needs to install itself onto a floppy drive.

Once you create the bootdisk with that file. You can test it by rebooting the computer with that floppy. If it loads the CDROM, you are ready for reload!

Ok. I have the boot disk, as well as the modem driver on disks, but, as the Sound card driver was too big to fit on a diskette, I've got it on my hard drive. Don't I need to have it on a floppy to do this? Also, I'm not sure what you mean about the boot disk. I downloaded it onto a disk via my A drive, but, I'm not sure what you mean about installing itself onto the disk. Anyway, I know it's alot of detail to go into, but, how do I reboot from the disk?

Signed,

Confused in Louisiana

Hi Dan,

The file you downloaded should stay on your hard drive. And then you put a blank disk in your A drive. Run the file, and it will create a bootable floppy out of your blank, which will include the CDROM drivers.

Then test it by leaving it in your computer and reboot your computer so it will use the floppy to boot. Once you get to a A: prompt, change to C: and type DIR to see the hard drive.

If you are successful there, then change to D: or E: (not sure which it will be, could be R!!) and see if you have access to your CDROM (be sure to have a CD in there first!!!).

As far as your sound driver goes, you may have to download it again once you redo the hard drive.
No big deal really...

Have you backed up all your data that you can't recreate off the hard drive? Just in case we do have to do a reformat and start over???

Wow. This data backup can be pretty time-consuming. Basically, I'm looking at losing eveything that I can't backup, right? So, that means that anything I can't fit on a disk, I lose, like the java design environment and everything (it took me about 6 hrs. to download that). I don't think he will, but, I'm going to see if a friend of mine will lend me his zip drive. Other than that, I'll see what I can winzip and what I can't. Hang in there, with me - this might take a little while.

;O)

Dan

Here is a thought... sign up for a free storage space on the Internet. There are several. one is called Xdrive (at
It will give you several megabytes of disks space to upload and store stuff. Great place to temporarily store data until you are ready to reload. Here are a few others...all free!

Just a few....

Mary ;-)

Oh yeah, I'd seen a few of those around, before, but opted against them because I resist giving out info about myself. This might be a good time to give them a shot. I'm getting all kinds of problems, here. This may be related to either my modem, or the new web browser from my ISP - and, definitely some registry problems. I got prompted to restore the registry a couple of crashes ago. Got one msg saying that the file C:\detcrash.log was damaged. Another saying that the anti-virus software is screwed up. I hope I can get this thing handled before it just blows up on me. Thanks for the good advice.

Dan

In the future, you might want to invest in a CDRW. It'll make backing up your data so much easier!! ;-)

Mary

Ok. Hey, did I screw up? I emptied the C:\windows\temp file, not the C:\temp file. Tell me I didn't mess up, big time, please.

Dan

Naw... sounds like you have two temp directories because some programs want it in the windows dir vs off the C drive... as long as it says temp, you can delete files in it!

Mary,

Hope you're still out there. I'm still working on saving everything. I've had to devote alot of time towards finding a job, and, will be getting everything backed up soon.

Dan

::)

Still here Dan! Was wondering what happened to you!

Mary ;-)

Hi Mary,

Alas, another week has passed and I have not finished backing everything up. Needless to say, finding a job has been my primary focus, and, I thought I had one in the bag, but, now I suppose not. I think I'm just going to deliver pizza for a month or two and slap the most overwrought website together that I can, demonstrating every possible thing I could do for an employer and *then* find a web development job.*sigh*

Huh? What? Oh, right. Must have confused you with my shrink, for a minute. Sorry.

Anyway LOL I'm still sifting my files @@, ever-so-sporadically. Oddly enough, the ghosts in my machine seem to have quieted down. I don't know if it's because of the temp files we emptied, or the fact that I had to reinstall the modem a bunch if times, or what, but, albeit the odd fatal exception, the last of which seems like was more than a week ago, it's been being nice to me (knock on Formica). So, I figured I'd better update this post in the meantime, to let you know what's going on, and, to keep the thread from being buried in ether.

Happy Holidays,

Dan

Dear dear Dan,

What a bummer about having trouble finding a job. Know the feeling all too well. Shame you don't live in Boise, ID. My company's primary service is web development. We are always looking for a few good programmers.

Anyway, you say that you keep reinstalling your modem. Makes me think you might have duplicate entries of your modem in your system. You might want to go into SAFE mode and see if you do, and if you do, delete all of them! Duplicates can cause lots of resource issues.

Might want to check for other duplicate drivers while you are in there as well.

Take Care! And Happy New Millennium!!!

Mary :eek:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back